Publix

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.7 1,108 reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw

Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule(in 77 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there(in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make(in 115 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times(in 65 reviews)

1,108 Employee Reviews

Great Start

ProsGood pay and a lot of encouragement

ConsIf you want to move up you have to have an intense commitment to it

The Best of Both Worlds

Customer Service Staff (Current Employee)

ProsManagers are always looking out for people interested in training in other departments and areas. They make sure you're treated well most of the time, and keep you up to date on everything you need to know. They're very accepting of issues at home and grant time off and such accordingly.

ConsPart timers don't get as many benefits however everyone is treated as equals. Managers are sometimes too lax with the rules or go over others heads, despite you being right.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be a stickler for every little detail, but don't make your associates look like fools in front of customers, especially when the customer is wrong and just making a commotion.

Great company

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsGreat benefits (even part-timers get really good ones) and an enviable culture.

ConsVery difficult to get foot in the door of corporate, which is kind of discouraging if you are wanting to move out of retail operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur department manager is a great person, but is reluctant to put out fires, so to speak. Our manager does not like it with people are upset with her/him and shows poor leadership at times. Sometimes, one needs to say or do things to correct team members who are belligerent, difficult or otherwise not pulling their weight, just to be fair to the other associates who are visibly doing their part. In fairness, things have improved somewhat, with a new system in place that lists what the expectations/tasks are for the day and that they are done before associates are done with their shift --- our manager just needs to be more consistent and not afraid to speak their mind. it's not a popularity contest...people do not have to like you all the time, but if you let someone do whatever they want (abuse your kindness), then you cannot expect them to show you some respect. Be firm and do not let people walk all over you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Descent Company

ProsGood Benefits, bonuses, descent pay

Conshard to get full time

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to be less greedy and give more full time

Loved it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love the value Publix holds for it's customers.

ConsI was in the deli so I didn't get to walk around the store much but it was still a good place to work.

nice job if you're interested in only part time

Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) Fairview, TN (US)

Prosmeeting new people and getting to know your neighbors is fun. seeing new product is exciting. store 1360 is clean, mostly because when there are no customers, employees are required to clean things that have already been cleaned just moments prior to cleaning them after you cleaned them the first time. 90% of the non-management employees are professional to work with.

Conserratic hours cause fatigue. especially when you're required to work until closing time and then turn around and open the next day. this type of scheduling creates tired employees who are prone to errors that could otherwise be avoided if thought could be put in to scheduling. attempting to make a living wage is impossible since full time seems to be offered to only the "golden employees". I've yet to see one single employee be promoted in the customer service area since I began working there.

Advice to Senior Managementremember where you came from. remember your bonuses are acquired off the sweat of the folks at the bottom of the food chain. treating us all with the respect you demand would go a really long way. a majority of you look like the Keystone Cops with your attempts to put on a big show. stop already. it's a horrible look for you. VERY unprofessional. at the end of the day it is more attractive to command respect rather than demand respect.

Great company, not many opportunities for advancement

Grocery Replenishment Specialist (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsAll the benefits. Vacation, 401k, tuition, stock.

ConsIts hard to advance here. The company is so great that nobody wants to leave their respective position.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

You can make the Publix Experience a life long life style.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing is that if you actually do the job better than the next person, you will be recognized and rewarded accordingly. It may take more time than you think to get a raise or promotion, but in the long run, the best people are identified and rewarded. The president of the company started as a part time bagger.

ConsThe hardest part to overcome is the funky retail schedule. Altho the benefits and paid vacations are great, rarely do you get two days in a row off, even more rare is a weekend off. The flip side is that every week you have a chance to do business with the places that only open weekdays, like banks or especially government offices. It also allows you to have potential day time involvement with kids' school activities.

Publix, is an excellent company to work for, they give you the hours you need, and they are very flexible

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) (Current Employee) Zephyrhills, FL (US)

ProsHours, Benefits, Bonuses, Associate- manager relations, Friendliness

ConsThere are none, at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, but make sure you focus on your employees needs, as much as customers.

Great Entry Level Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally care about their employees. Great opportunities for advancement.

ConsWorking in a service industry is never fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementCouldn't be happier!

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!