PwC

Updated Apr 16, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A culture based on empowerment

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPwC offers great opportunities for international rotations. The culture is based on empowerment and allows junior team members to assume client facing roles with great responsibility early on in their career. The mix of assurance, tax and advisory function and a global industry network is very efficient to acquire skills during a career.

ConsPartnership based corporate structure results in unqualified and occasiinally unmotivated people sticking around for too long.

Worked hard but great experience

Experienced Audit Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training, HR understands the demands placed on staff, knowledgable colleagues

ConsWork life balance, Frequent travel

Complicated company

Advisory Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros- Some very smart people who do care about doing good work - find them, and work however you can for them.
- Brand still means something - and management consulting is an interesting space to be in.
- The variety in consulting work is fascinating

Cons- VERY political atmosphere. It's about who you know.
- Utilization matters more than if you're a consistently good performer. I was laid off because there wasn't enough 'work for me to do', but had no visibility into sales cycle.
- Travel and more travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say you're not an 'up or out' company, then mean it. Culture is progressive in some areas, but lots of management that doesn't really care if you work hard.

Great premier firm. Last of the consulting Partnerships!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

ProsWealth of knowledge and experience to draw upon. Strong emphasis on relationship building and networking. Diverse culture. Revived focus on employee retention, onboarding, training, and supporting new employees to integrate and be successful. Solid base comp.

ConsLong hours despite what was advertised about work and personal life balance. Culture can foster very direct, sometimes coarse interactions. Culture is competitive, extremely political, high judgmental, and word spreads among the grapevine quickly. Second chances...? Theme is "watch your back" at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining top talent can be improved with continuing to develop future leaders who can be personally vested in coaching mentoring and developing talent in a way that promotes bringing out the best qualities, performance and to build high performance teams. Train mid-level management to be genuine, supportive, and improving coaching and mentoring capabilities.

I like my job and lucky to have landed it before the Diamond merger.

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

ProsThe healthcare consulting group is growing
It is big 4 firm so people know what it is
Great mentorship programs

ConsNot as prestigious as working for many smaller consulting firms

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for employees to be reimbursed after business trips.

A mistake for MBAs looking for M&A or Strategy projects

Advisory Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood brand name - I got calls from recruiters within a week of joining the firm
Numerous offices
Ability to see strategy projects carried through to implementation
Decent health plan

ConsLack of support for MBA new hires and Experienced Hires. PwC offers minimal training once you're more than a year past college. New Managers hired from industry aren't trained to manage clients, projects, staff, in the context of Management Consulting.

Low compensation compared to other Consulting jobs. PwC lags the market on salary. Performance bonuses for each performance rating are about half what you might expect from a Consulting firm. Retirement plan is minimal and has a 5 year vesting schedule, so the vast majority of staff can expect to never collect on the employer contributions. The health plan is decent but the employee contribution is pretty high for a professional services firm.

PwC's client relationships aren't as strong as they should be, so strategy projects are often sold on price, rather than value. Strategy projects are routinely underpriced, cutting rates and staff hours allocated without reducing the scope of work promised to the client. For staff, that means that you're working double hours and not getting rewarded for it.

Expectations around utilization and how many hours you can bill per day don't account for the substantial differences between M&A type projects (very long hours, high pressure, short duration, unpredictable nature of when these projects come up), Strategy projects (long hours, 2-3 months duration, somewhat unpredictable demand), and long-term implementation type projects (more reasonable hours, duration of 12+ months, highly predictable demand). Overall, the expectations set for staff are based on the long-term implementation projects, so you'll have to make a tough choice between doing strategic projects that offer growth and learning opportunities, and staff-augmentation projects that hit your utilization numbers to keep you employed.

PwC has some interesting projects, but you'll sacrifice your utilization metrics, because the strategic projects aren't as well defined. Directors won't communicate a clear end date for your current project, making it difficult to get seamless staffing onto the next project if you're not 100% sure when you'll come available. Some Partners will try to hold on to a particular staff member even when start dates are delayed due to client reasons -- but staff is accountable for utilization and during those days or weeks on hold, your utilization will drop off rapidly. Because despite PwC's focus on ethical practices, more often than not you will be pressured to under-report your hours by as much as 50%. If you don't comply, you'll be penalized in your reviews, and if you do comply, you'll still be penalized because your performance (billable hours) is less than that of your peers.

Your mileage may vary -- the organizational culture within Advisory is highly inconsistent. I've worked for some excellent Partners and Directors who really support their people, and I've also worked for some Directors who lack the ability to communicate effectively and treat staff as disposable commodities. If you can find a great Partner or Director to work with, stick with that person as long as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you expect to recruit and retain top talent, make upward feedback a larger component of the annual performance review process for Partners and Directors. These folks have wildly inconsistent expectations of staff at any given level. The good ones realize they can't push staff to the point of exhaustion and burnout, but quite a few haven't made this connection yet.

Is It Worth the Wait?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PwC full-time

ProsGreat exit opportunities, good people

Conslong hours, tedious but good people

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying us like accountants but then asking for ibanking hours.

Excellent place to start your career!

Advisory Experienced Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Unlimited opportunities if you look for them
-Smart people
-Great way to build your network

Cons-Need more structure around project processes and templates
-Quality is very uneven across the organization

Advice to Senior Management-Growing very quickly, but be careful to grow with quality too

Loved it! I was an SDI Intern! Great learning experience

SDI Intern (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at PwC as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat Salary, Great connections/mentor-ships, The #1 Accounting Firm

ConsThere are none. Great environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job!

Work is not the best

Advisory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience depending on what you want to do

ConsNot much opportunity to try new things

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!

PwC Videos

PwC – Why Work for Us?

Imagine the power of 160,000 people with a common purpose — building relationships that create value for you and your business. This is PwC. Every day, our people work with you to build the value you are looking for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PwC reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PwC CEO Robert Moritz. All 133 reviews posted anonymously by PwC employees.