PwC

PwC Reviews in Chicago, IL US

Updated Jul 23, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights
143 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, but underpaid

Transaction Services Experienced Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWhat keeps me coming back to work every day is the people I work with in Transaction Services. They're great people. Everyone is highly intelligent and maintains similar interests in the market. I also enjoy doing the business development work which isn't present in other groups.

ConsThe pay. By far and away the biggest issue with Transaction Services is the pay. You're always going to get less than you think you should be getting. Your hours will be a bit better than auditor hours (no busy season thank god) and your pay will be essentially identical to an auditors despite doing deal-based work and having bill rates triple those of an auditor. It's insulting to sit at the table with the bankers and lawyers and know they're being paid at least 50% more than you are.

PwC also generally insists on a 3-year promotion cycle despite the rest of the financial world operating on a 2-year promotion cycle. Titles are just titles, what matters is pay which you will be forever disappointed with at PwC.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the people what we're worth. If our bill rates are 2-3 times those of auditor bill rates, how can you justify paying us just a thousand or two more than an auditor?

Good Career Opportunities

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWith PwC there are great opportunities to grow your career in the way you want. Although the hours are usually more than your standard 40 hour week, the longer you stay the more benefits you received in the long-term.

ConsThere is not as much free time with friends and family. Also, there isn't much disconnect from the company when you schedule to take off for vacations.

No Work-Life Balance

Risk Assurance Senior Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsDecent salary, ok benefits, energetic staff.

ConsLong hours and weekends are the norm. The flexibility they preach does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with regards to expectations and understand the physical and mental limitations of one human being.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very dynamic and energizing environment

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat career advancement, and meeting the best people

Conshours, hours, hours
    Often random assignments that did not warrant an evaluation

Manager in Marketing/Sales (IFS) Great company to work for but NO career path for internal people. Great for 3-5 years.

IFS Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsDecent pay - the glassdoor salaries posted are right on target
    Sign on bonus - $5K
    Annual Bonuses - 2.5% - 9%
    Annual raises - 2.5%-4%
    Cell Phone paid for
    Cheaper upgrades with new phones
    $5k a year in tuition bonus - I got this for two years
    $5K referral bonus - it took about ten referrals to get someone in but they paid this bonus out in 30 days of the person working at PwC
    Flex Fridays (Summer) depends on the team. My first year I never worked on Friday during the Summer. Next two Summers I worked every other Friday.
    Wealth Management- enter workouts and other health activities and earn points to redeem into gift cards. Over the last two years I got around $250 in gifts cards for going to the gym.
    401k strong matching if YOU STAY FOR FIVE YEARS. Read the fine print. If you stay for five years its an amazing program between the 401K and "wealth builder" program. highly recommend.
    PwC is making splashes in the market and building a strong brand. When I applied to other companies everyone was impressed with three years at PwC.
    Great work/life balance - continues to evolve
    4 weeks paternal leave - never heard of this anywhere. It was amazing when we had our baby
    Good vacation - 22 days as a manager

ConsAs an IFS resource you are not revenue generating and as a result will never gain the full respect of Partners and the firm as a whole.
    Pay, bonuses, raises are much less for IFS people
    Glass ceiling in IFS - you can never make partner
    Revolving door of leadership - partners take terms in senior leadership roles. Revolving door of new ideas and directions.
    Full value of 401K plan.......see above. Less than five years........not great.
    Awful offices - stale cubicle rat maze. Innovation draining
    Still runs like an accounting firm
    Not a tech. firm - still use Lotus Notes........need I say more.
    Internal HR folks are very linear which slows people's growth opportunities.

If you are going for three five years and want launch your career forward this is a great place, If you are looking for long term growth, appreciation, support and development.....go somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the IFS people.

Great place to start a career

Audit Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosmost people are extremely nice. very friendly working environment.

Conslong hours during busy season, no bonus to motivate people

A lot of hard work

Experienced Tax Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThis company has great benefits, including vacation and retirement. The people are great to work with and the environment fosters hard work and learning.

ConsThere is not work and life balance with this company. It is very large and becomes difficult to become recognized. The work seems to be non value added most of the time. It is busy work with no purpose.

Good company to work if you are ready to fit in

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat culture and great ethical values.

ConsNot innovative, repetitive work. Love to brag slef proclaim as a 'High performing organization".

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more exciting work for your employees

Prestigious company that lives up to its name.

Audit Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe opportunity to learn a lot in a given industry
    Work with very motivated and intelligent people
    High expectations to perform at an entry level
    Exposure to top tier clients

ConsThe culture demands very long hours
    Longer than expected busy season
    No work/life balance
    High turnover
    Low salary considering the hours you work

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Good start for a consulting career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsBig company, worldwide presence, highly valued consulting experience, Above 95% retention rate. Rich knowledge pool with more than 100,000 people worldwide.

ConsLook for people who closely fit company culture, prior work experience in consulting is important, if you do not have it then you are at a disadvantage. Long working hours of consulting industry. Lastly lots and lots of traveling

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile recruiting, focus more on the candidates knowledge rather than just the prior work experience

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!