Quality Inn & Suites

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ok "if" you never want $$$

Front Desk/Audit (Former Employee) Tupelo, MS (US)

ProsThe regular guests were great, they came 1-2 times a week.

ConsPay, pay, pay...no health benefits at all. You work 5-7 or more days in a row and because the way the pay schedule falls, there's no OT. You may get 2 days off in a row 1 time a month. Regular days off are not promised or guaranteed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you work your people to death, with no benefits or raise in pay, sit back and think "gee would I be ok with this if I was working it ?"

Life & Times of a 1st time Sales Director

Director of Sales (Former Employee) Christiansburg, VA (US)

Prospay / bonus potential
    self managed
    something new each day

Consdisjointed management
    long hours
    unpredictable
    consider "no double standard" policies

Advice to Senior Managementleadership

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I worked at a privately owned Quality Inn franchise that was formally a Holiday Inn franchise.

Worked In Several Positions Including Night Auditor (Former Employee) Richmond, IN (US)

Pros-Discounts on hotel rooms, both in town and while traveling.
    -Quick advancement if you're willing to work and show up promptly.

Cons-Upper management wasn't qualified and would pass complaints off to middle management.
    -Employees with the were very unreliable with the exception of a few shining stars.
    -Building was badly in need of repair.

Advice to Senior Management-Take responsibility
    -Don't be afraid to manage and make decision that some employees may not like; you don't have to be everyone's friend.
    -Spend the money to improve the property.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed, promises not kept, condescending communication, no reward for any effort.

Night Auditor/Front Desk (Former Employee) Oakdale, PA (US)

ProsEmployees are conscientious and have a good work ethic.

ConsNot enough staff, scheduling is grueling, management approaches employees in a condescending manor, individual effort not recognized, not enough pay. Medical benefits eliminated without increased compensation otherwise. Call themselves a green company yet no recycling effort in place; use of Styrofoam plates and bowls and plastic utensils and cups, none of which are recyclable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement consists of a mother and a son, neither one lead by example. Inferences of more money with no action to make that happen. Last minute performances by both to remedy problematic situations such as not enough staff. Staff is scheduled six to 10 and 12 days straight or given "turn around" shifts which means a person is scheduled to work 15 hours in a 24 hour period of time. I cannot say one good thing about having worked at this establishment.

AWESOME!!!

Front Desk/Auditor/Hostess (Former Employee) Houma, LA (US)

ProsGreat staff, Great guest!! Just an overall great environment!!! :)

ConsNot enough hours for Servers/Hostesses

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

A place for a new GM to get their feet wet

General Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsMy experience has less to do with Choice and more to do with the personal ownership. Quality Inn is a big franchise brand so we do not have a lot of contact with the head company. The best thing I can say as a new GM, is you really get the tough experiences right out the gate here. This will prepare me for the future when I move up in my career. I will have already experienced the worst case scenarios. As far as Choice is considered the best thing I can say is that they really go above and way beyond on training. They make their view points very clear from the start. Good work environment with co workers.

ConsLimited management. There is only 1 manager for the entire property. No one fully manages sales, housekeeping, maintenance, front desk etc. Work life balance is non existent for management. Its 98% work 2% home. 60 hours a week minimum. Zero maintaining of the property over the years which tells me they have low standards, bad/old equipment that no one wants to properly repair or replace. Employee pay is probably lowest in the city as far as hotels go. Limited raise potential, limited career growth potential, high stress, no paid or sick leave, no benefits, no holiday pay, no over time pay, no punishments for misbehaving/poor performing staff to prevent unemployment pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Owners: Happy employees = happy guests = more money = happy owners. Spend the money to fix the problems correctly, give management the control to punish or reward staff, properly staff the hotel, don't let your friends/family stay for free, respect your managers private time (don't call me at 10pm to ask about a free room).

Lack of respect for employees

Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) Ellensburg, WA (US)

ProsMy coworkers are awesome! If it weren't for them I wouldn't have stayed here so long. I like that I have the ability to use the hotel and it's amenities for a lowered price.

ConsI am NOT appreciated for all that I do. I have a college degree and am getting paid minimum wage to work the front desk. There are no benefits offered, nor are there very many opportunities for advancement, nor is there holiday pay offered. My boss is a complete ahole and just orders me around without understanding the difficulties of my job position. People always report when they've had a bad experience at the hotel, but never when they have a good one. Since I am at the front desk, I am usually the one receiving most complaints. I am also the one that answers the phones, makes reservations, cleans the lobby and bathrooms, assists guests for their EVERY SINGLE need (I've even had to babysit for a guest once while maintaining my front desk duties), and manages a very complex computer system. I am constantly on my feet and working long hours. I didn't go to college so I would have to work this hard and have so little to show for it!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees some more credit! Give them the ability to advance, and perhaps some incentive to work harder! If I had a hope that there would be a payoff for all my hard work, I would work harder and be happy doing it. As things are, I'm miserable, I hate my job, and work FAR too hard.

Don't waste your time or talent at this place.

(Former Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsHotel staff Awesome! They are always willing to help guests with their needs.

ConsVery poor management. No benefits, raises or incentive programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees and give credit where credit is due. Lead by example, be positive and respectful of all the staff you have employed. It wouldn't hurt to say "good job" or "we really appreciate all you do for the company" this can help build the morale of the employees. Maybe you could give a raise every once in awhile other then the usual cost of living raise showing the staff that they are an asset to the Company.

Love the owners, not the low pay.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) Jeffersonville, OH (US)

ProsI work in a privately owned Quality Inn & our owners are fantastic; they encourage us to help the business grow, teach us how to manage the hotel so everything can be handled properly, and most importantly, they treat each employee as a respected individual.

ConsLow pay & hours. This isn't really the management's fault, we operate in a small town that doesn't generate a whole ton of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimply listen to your guests.

Great Job, Insufficient Pay

Front Desk Representative (Current Employee) Decorah, IA (US)

ProsThe staff are fantastic, the customers are usually very kind and friendly, cleaner than most other chain hotels, highly concerned with customer experience without compromising relationships between staff members

ConsThe pay is way too low. Regardless of previous experience in the industry, level of education, almost all hourly staff are paid minimum wage.

Worked for Quality Inn & Suites? Contribute to the Community!