Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.

www.qbsol.com
  www.qbsol.com

Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. Reviews

Updated 5 December 2014
Updated 5 December 2014
3.2

Perry Turbes

Pros
  • Good environment to learn technical side of oil and gas software (in 8 reviews)

• Good exposure to a wide variety of tasks, companies, and parts of the oil and gas industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They are okay with the high turnover rates, as inexperience means more billable hours (in 4 reviews)

• Sometimes it is difficult to have a charge code to apply all 9 hours of your work day (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard, don't play at all

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.

Pros

Good pay, upward mobility, young work environment, a lot of good experience.

Cons

Can be impossible to get help. When on a project people will just ignore you. Company over promises so we always look real bad to the client. Quorum takes on way too many jobs, stretching everybody thin. Upper management not grown in Quorum are under qualified, creating a mess in upstream. Worst HR team ever, isn't helpful at all...

Please fix upstream. Stop selling functionality that doesn't work and making enhancements when the core product is broken. Hire an HR team that looks out for the employees.

Good way to build experience!

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job will build your work ethic and increase your experience level and confidence three fold, in comparison with another company. You will learn so much, I think most college grads would benefit from starting at a place like this.

Cons

Leadership is a bit distant, and the benefits are substandard. Turnover rate is a bit high, but it's relatively expected with such a challenging job.

Beef up the benefits and have more executive to employee interaction. Turnover will reduce with these changes alone.

Only if you have NO other options

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fair coming straight out of college. They do have a training period if that's what you want to call it.

Cons

The company is pitched as a consulting company when you are hired but all in all is a software development sweatshop your first few years. Groups are small and the turnaround is so high that the people you want to learn from aren't around any longer. Question are mainly answered with the phrases "we just figure things out here" or "look in the code". If you do not have coding experience translates to "I do not know either but I don't want to say it out loud".lSince the company hires mostly right out of college there is an excitement level that new hires bring with them but shortly after the company takes its tole and crushes that as well. I have never seen so many people that seem stuck in a job rather than enjoy what they do. There is a small bonus given once a year unless you are upper management, then you are taken care of a little better. They do offer a 401k but the matching is so low it is almost pointless. Don't let them fool you with all the oil and gas talk. When it comes down I it, all of the perks that you hear about when working in O&G do not come with a position at Quorum.

Get to know your staff. Spend some actual time talking to them that isn't telling them where they can do better or what they have done wrong in a meeting. If you expect the people that follow you to do something you might want to have some sort of idea of how to do it yourself.

Build some connections and leave

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.

Pros

You will work with very, bright talented young people and Quorum is a well-known name that will allow you to spring board into the oil & gas industry or another consulting firm.

Cons

The majority of what Quorum does, I would not even consider consulting. There is a high chance if you are a junior resource they will pigeon-hole you into a support or development role which will give you little to no insight into the oil & gas industry or client exposure. The only consulting exposure you get will be on the delivery side, which is still limited to the fact that Quorum focuses on their employees to know the software, not specifically the business. The issue behind this is that unless you complain constantly to move to delivery (even if you have prior experience as a Business Analyst/Consultant), they won't move you because they are understaffed. The resources that actually know enough to be an asset get hit at all sides with questions, and are overworked with limited project timelines and unrealistic expectations so they end up leaving. Upper management could care less about this because they keep making money, selling projects, and throwing college hires that know next to nothing about SDLC, oil & gas or anything related to consulting onto projects at the same "blended rate" per hour as a manager who has been doing this job for 7 years.

Stop looking at the bottom line and listen to your employees. This comment does not matter because they don't listen to advice.

Terrible Operations

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

The pay is good for recent college grads, depending on the major (a little low for engineering, high for MIS). A lot of work can be done independently if your manager allows it. The company focuses on hiring new college grads so a majority of the employees are younger than 30. If you do not have much software development experience, you can learn a lot by working here as every new employee is required to go through a month-long training session.

Cons

Since I began working here, there have been a couple major changes to the way that employees are paid. First, there used to be a profit-sharing plan where every employee would receive an end-of-year bonus based on how the company did that year. Just a couple months after I began working there, the plan was changed so that only managers and above received it. The company still gives out end-of-year bonuses to the senior consultants and consultants but they really are laughable compared to what other companies give (especially in the O&G arena). Second, evaluations are done every 6 months which originally included a decent raise (~5%). Recently this was changed so that raises are only given at the end of the year. This was a major blow as most employees looked forward to the relatively often raises to help them feel like they were actually rewarded for the long hours they put in.

The workplace culture and work/life balance is very dismal. Most of the employees are young and will try to boost company moral just by sheer energy, but there is little to no support from management to aid this. This results in a very, very high turnover rate. Not to mention that the office culture only helps you if you're in the office; most project teams have only a few people on them and if you don't get along then it can be very tough. I imagine this is a possibility for any consulting company (as even some executives have mentioned it in meetings) but that is in no way an excuse. A company cannot survive by constantly shedding the talent that builds them up. This might work in the short-term, but eventually another company will figure out how to do it right and Quorum will only have itself to blame.

All of this comes down to the fact that Quorum's management simply does not care about its consultants. They will make low-ball sales pitches in order to land deals and then do whatever it takes to meet their promises to the clients. That includes working the project team to death, hence the extremely high turnover rate. When this is pointed out to management, they simply ignore it and pretend like they can keep operating this way.

Find ways to keep your employees and keep them happy; otherwise, they will leave to continue to leave for other jobs and Quorum will never be a top-tier company.

Worst Upper Management for Consulting services ever experienced

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros is the experience of how not to run a projects and how not to manage people. Quorum upper management does not care about you at all. They will squeeze the life out of you to get a project down and do not care about you as a person.

Cons

They really cant keep the turn over down. We had over 5 seniors quit in 6 months.

I would discuss with management better bonus and raise structure for the amount of hours that a person puts in.

Just turn around and run away now.

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

It takes a certain type of person to thrive here (comp sci and engineering types), and you can move up if you put in your 50+ a week. It's never monotonous, and you can always find work to do. But you do get to call yourself a Consultant!

Cons

Where to start... well, the turnover is very high, probably because the pay isn't worth the sacrifice of your personal happiness. The holiday bonus is comical (it was less than my part time college job). You get weird looks for leaving anywhere near 5pm, and you get called out by your boss in front of the entire team for it. The sheer thought of a work/life balance is hilarious and naive. Also, asking for any time off is like pulling teeth, so just take sick days instead.

Keep up the numbers game: Hire 100+ new grads, lose most of them, and do it all over again next year. It's worked so far.

Good

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience

Cons

Job can be too stressful sometimes

Listen to employees

Great place to grow!

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time

Pros

I came through the "college recruiting" process just like most of the other employees here. I had 2 round of interviews on campus with different managers then got a call to come visit the office. The office visit is what really won me over! The Houston office is amazing! We got a chance to talk to some of the current employees over dinner and they told me what their likes/dislikes are about the company and even gave me some tips for my office interview. The next day, you have an interview with an executive of the company. I wouldn't even call it an 'interview' it was more of a conversation. The same night after my office visit, I got a call from someone in recruiting with the offer. (Very quick turnaround).

I've been here for almost a year and I am already a 'back-up' for my BL and the backup team lead. Quorum really cares about the growth of their employees!

Cons

In the beginning, it may seem like you are working long hours (50-60 p/wk). After a couple months when you get the hang of it you learn how to manage your own time. The way I look at it - more time and effort you put into something the more you will get out of it.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Move up quickly, ability to learn multiple areas, oil and gas is a solid industry, quorum has a successful implementation strategy with aggressive timelines and aggressive clients.

Cons

Retention at Quorum is low. They do not try to keep employees who quick. not all clients are easy to work with. The projects can become frustrating, upper management is worried about budgets and not you since they are owned by a private equity firm.

Upper management needs to change the way they pay people, keep people, develop new employees, and recognize those that contribute the most at the company.

Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. Photos