REI

REI Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is really good and def helpful if you have a family"
    in 45 reviews
  • "If you are looking for part-time work to subsidize your income this is a great job"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Selling memberships is their number one goal"
    in 33 reviews
  • "I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Retail sales---Good company, PT benefits, limited opportunities if your life/family is established

New York, NY (US)

I worked at REI part-time for more than a year

ProsGood training, good customer service policies, good products. Nice health insurance and savings benefits for PT employees.

ConsRetail leadership could be more honest and open. Limited opportunities in retail management, since you're expected to move frequently, rather than stay in one store. Need to complete "endorsement process" by store manager to be able to apply for retail management jobs. Very conservative culture, which is a liability in the 21st century.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of exposing your employees to upper management. Make some technology infrastructure improvements (Windows XP, really?) and order fulfillment improvements, fast! I can order an item online from some retailers in the morning and pick it up at my local store on my way to work at REI! Can't do that at REI.

Good place to work, but you feel the pressure to sell memberships

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at REI part-time

ProsI worked there part time over the summer and it was really easy to set the hours I wanted to work. Prodeals and discounts were a huge perk.

ConsThere can be a lot of pressure to meet your quota on selling memberships but there is no commission or real incentives for selling one.

Well-balanced, true to high values, ample opportunity.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really enjoy working at REI because they take care of you for taking care of the customer. My values are their values and I am always doing what I believe is right for the customer. I've not had to compromise ethics or service here. Every employee is a real human who is shown respect. Servant-leadership style, all the way to the senior vp/ceo levels - completely authentic in this regard and my main reason for being a part of this company. Additionally the work-life balance is great, maternity and paternity leave, 40 hours a week and I've NEVER been required to work overtime, but when I have elected to myself, my family sees a bigger paycheck for it because even mgmt (other than store manager and senior managers) are paid hourly.

ConsIf you are considering this job, do it for the passion, the values, and the balance. There are advancement opportunities, but REI doesn't open that many new stores a year, so while there is opportunity, there could be more. The pay is mid-high level for retail, but compared to other industries retail pay is still low. The job is VERY relational. You need not only to do good work, but also keep a team highly motivated and positive. This is easier said than done, especially with a workforce of folks with such high expectations and ideals.

Advice to Senior ManagementJerry Stritzke, the new CEO is kicking butt. Bringing to REI some fantastic retailer skills and making sure we move in the right direction.

Great atmosphere

Houston, TX (US)

I worked at REI part-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing coworkers, laid back, room for growth, when compared to other retail jobs REI is clearly a better company, very clear path to management roles if desired but no other career paths

ConsNo hours during slow seasons

Great company, lots of changes in flight

I have been working at REI full-time

ProsGREAT people, great industry, beautiful campus, lots of perks, support for new ideas, latitude to do many new things, work at home options, stewardship,

ConsLower than normal salaries for comparable positions, questionable mid mgmnt leadership decisions at critical points

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what the company is here for - stay true to that foundation and build competitiveness and value from that point.

Director

Director (Current Employee)
Kent, WA (US)

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, fulfilling work, mission driven, quality products. We are well situated for greater success!

ConsPace of change has been slow but accelerating now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget our core values.

Great coworkers and fun relaxed environment

Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at REI part-time for more than 3 years

ProsREI gives it's employees great deals on gear. It is non commissioned sales which creates a relaxed environment where you can really serve customers well and spend time getting to know them and make them feel valued. The flexibility to take unpaid time off(at least as a part time employee) is amazing and makes a lot of flexibility to play in the outdoors.

ConsLess flexibility during holidays and sales. Don't expect to make a bunch of money. ~$10 an hour. Managers don't make a ton more. Not the greatest opportunity for advancement compared with other fields.

Great benefits and cool gear!

I have been working at REI part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and very flexible with scheduling. Opportunities to transfer at stores around the nation. Overall a great company to work for.

ConsBecoming more "mainstream" and run more like a business opposed to a true co-op. Getting full-time status is hard- seems like they hire more seasonal/part-time help opposed to bumping an existing employee to full time.

Still the best job environment in retail

Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat co-workers, employee discounts, relatively flexible work schedule, fantastic health/vision/dental benefits for 20 plus hours/week employees, generally the best customers in retail too. Generally good work/life balance, even managers aren't supposed to work more than 40 hours per week.

ConsBesides the obvious- retail work hours= most weekends and holidays you are working, and many evenings as well.

Great Company

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at REI full-time for more than a year

ProsTrue adoption of the Agile/Lean model. Good Leadership. Market rate Pay

ConsNo real cons to speak of.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI Videos

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for REI CEO Jerry Stritzke. All 404 reviews are posted anonymously by REI employees.