REI Systems Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
2.9

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• They just made great changes to the professional development hours, health and annual leave benefits package) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

• Majority of the Project Managers/Portfolio Managers are horrible to work with (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work !!!!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy for every one.
    Free friday bagel

Cons

Same type of work.

No work from home policy.

Need to adapt new technology.

I have seen some manager, who takes thing personally and rather than be professional they taking personally.

I actually like working here!

Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REI systems actually listens to employees (Has multiple meetings per year with all employees like the recent Town hall, all hands meeting, and encourages feedback thru Yaller - a social collaboration tool). Based on past feedback, many positive changes have taken place.
    People here actually do care. Yes there are a couple of odd ones, but which company does not Last year;s 360 reviews and a 'management development program' were good steps. I am seeing a positive trend.
    Don't go by every feedback you read here. This company has a strong and good culture.

Cons

Yes - there are some bad apples. which place doesn't? Yes -the business development has slowed down, but that is this whole area (remember sequestration and its effects?) Calm down folks - the economy is reviving.

Look at those bad apples and take action. Good job so far..

Love my new job at REI!!!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Talented, creative and smart folks
    - My earlier company did not have a "professional development" plan; so I am getting used to the 40 hours of professional development offered to by REI to all of their employees; kind of like what Google does for its employees
    - The company has a heritage ..This was evident during the week long activities planned for celebrating REI's 25th anniversary
    - There are some really good ping pong players...We recently concluded a ping pong tournament
    and Friday bagels :-)

Cons

- I know projects are doing this in their own environment, but it would be nice to have a research lab, where latest technologies can be tried out...

thanks and please keep up the good work!!!

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location.
    Benefits.
    bagel Friday
    big kitchen
    happy feet running club.

Cons

Poor management , poor work culture , favouritism. One has to develop good relations out of work to be in good books with the managers so that you can have peaceful life.
    You are taken for granted to work on weekends and late night atleast for most of the projects.
    Relatives and friends of the executive team are in the manager positions.

Hire Americans to be your resource managers. Replace everyone in the management with American managers so that work culture improves.

Stay away !!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friends , Happy feet club, Toast masters club, benefits

Cons

Resource managers here donot know how to manage people.
    You will never be treated with respect. You will be yelling, name calling, politics .

Long work hours due to poor planning .

You need to train your Resource managers with basic 101 on people management and resource planning.

Very disappointing place to work for

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are stable (so I thought) employment and steady work. Very smart CEO and technology is very advanced.

Cons

Lack of even a single African American in Management since company inception, if I say more it will be easy to know who I am so suffice it to say I am very unhappy .No promotion to good loyal employees, only friends and family get promoted. I was never promoted my entire time there, suffered discriminatory actions against me many times and even though it was brought to HR three times nothing was ever done, believe it or not. I was lied to repeatedly and generally treated very poorly by people there for far less time than I was, the manager of my team spent more time home than in the office and played favorites and ignored my hard work. I gave my best effort which never seemed to be enough until I discovered I was born with the wrong color skin and then I was able to see clearly. I was lied to repeatedly both in front of my face and behind my back and suffice it to say, I am unhappy about my time there and would not recommend this as a place to work unless you are able to have a thick skin, the managers are very hard driving and low complementing. I am glad I am elsewhere now because discrimination is real there. Those from the Northern part of India have it best there.

New managers who actually care about their employees.

Think twice before joining this company

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location and THAT'S IT.

Cons

If you have some self-esteem you should think ten times before joining this company. Bad management (from top to bottom) to the core. Most of the managers you will get chance to work with don't care about you spending some quality time with your family. This company preaches work life balance but don't follow it. Not to mention all the favoritism that is shown by these managers to the people who loves to say 'YES' to their every demand. If you go against their will then only god can save you. If you survive working in this company under their evil management, you can survive anywhere in this universe.

Open up your eyes and mind and seriously start looking after the well being of your (non-managerial level) employees. They deserve better for all the hard work they are putting in on day to day basis.

Keep away

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cannot find any. Even required 5 words. I didn't meet before such lack of respect to employees.

Cons

Not american company. Ugly work ethic, poor management, working overtime is a must. I wonder why people still stay there?

None. Disrespect.

REI systems

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Flexible hours
    Low morale

Cons

No Promotion
    Promotes only friends and family

A Relatives Company - No scope to grow

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Bagel Friday
    Technical Folks who are great.

Cons

Most of the positions are for relatives who know each other. After office activity is a must to be in the good books of the manager. You need not be talented to be promoted to a manger level. Just be a relative and you are automatically promoted. Most of them are highly undesirable. They make you sweat for all wrong reasons. There is no proper communication and clarity in any role. Everyday you need to compete with others (with mangers) to prove you are worth of something. There is most of the times a hostile environment that drives everyone nuts.

There is no appreciation of work. No chance to grow and there is absolutely no way to suggest something that everyone agrees. Multiple line of managers who are fit for nothing. Save yourself from working here.

There is no point to write anything about management. They listen to only relatives.