REI Systems

Updated 17 December 2014
2.8

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

You work really hard and don't get much in terms of pay

I worked at REI Systems as a contractor

Pros

The community was awesome. You are working long hours with people and really getting to know them. Most people are really nice, but some times there are blow ups due to the stress. The work was really interesting and challenging though.

Cons

They work you round the clock. My phone never stopped ringing. I would be at work till 2am in the morning then have a manager call me at 10am asking me why I am not at work. They have completely unrealistic expectations of their employees in terms of hours. I couldn't even imagine being a salary employee there.

Bump up the pay and bump down the hours.

An IT sweatshop

I worked at REI Systems

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

Not for Everybody

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers; management values continuous education. The office space is outstanding. Employees generally have very good cooperative relationships with an attitude of mutual support.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. If you are an Indian male you have a better chance for recognition and advancement. The company which is located in Loudon County, is more than 50 percent Indian and you cant do that by accident. The Indian team members are "trusted" the rest are seen as "necessary evils". The upper management are out of their depth and the company's mediocre growth is a symptom of this.

Clean house. Owners retire so that a competent management team can make the necessary changes in operations.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some people are good to work with. If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good. Office place is good. Gives 40 hours yearly for professional development. Ping pong tables and bagel fridays

Cons

Long working hours, harsh deadlines, dependent on federal contracts(End of contract means end of the department and so the job). Limited options to grow. Base salary is very low compared to industry standard in the area. Need to become a favorite of some manager to grow else will be pushed around. Good work is done in only in one or two teams. Other teams are forced to use the company's version of tools which leads to very limited technological growth for most employees. Repetitive work.

Treat employees better. Should start hiring american managers to improve work culture. Stop attrition.

Great Place to work !!!!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy for every one.
    Free friday bagel

Cons

Same type of work.

No work from home policy.

Need to adapt new technology.

I have seen some manager, who takes thing personally and rather than be professional they taking personally.

I actually like working here!

Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REI systems actually listens to employees (Has multiple meetings per year with all employees like the recent Town hall, all hands meeting, and encourages feedback thru Yaller - a social collaboration tool). Based on past feedback, many positive changes have taken place.
    People here actually do care. Yes there are a couple of odd ones, but which company does not Last year;s 360 reviews and a 'management development program' were good steps. I am seeing a positive trend.
    Don't go by every feedback you read here. This company has a strong and good culture.

Cons

Yes - there are some bad apples. which place doesn't? Yes -the business development has slowed down, but that is this whole area (remember sequestration and its effects?) Calm down folks - the economy is reviving.

Look at those bad apples and take action. Good job so far..

Stay away !!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friends , Happy feet club, Toast masters club, benefits

Cons

Resource managers here donot know how to manage people.
    You will never be treated with respect. You will be yelling, name calling, politics .

Long work hours due to poor planning .

You need to train your Resource managers with basic 101 on people management and resource planning.

Love my new job at REI!!!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Talented, creative and smart folks
    - My earlier company did not have a "professional development" plan; so I am getting used to the 40 hours of professional development offered to by REI to all of their employees; kind of like what Google does for its employees
    - The company has a heritage ..This was evident during the week long activities planned for celebrating REI's 25th anniversary
    - There are some really good ping pong players...We recently concluded a ping pong tournament
    and Friday bagels :-)

Cons

- I know projects are doing this in their own environment, but it would be nice to have a research lab, where latest technologies can be tried out...

thanks and please keep up the good work!!!

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location.
    Benefits.
    bagel Friday
    big kitchen
    happy feet running club.

Cons

Poor management , poor work culture , favouritism. One has to develop good relations out of work to be in good books with the managers so that you can have peaceful life.
    You are taken for granted to work on weekends and late night atleast for most of the projects.
    Relatives and friends of the executive team are in the manager positions.

Hire Americans to be your resource managers. Replace everyone in the management with American managers so that work culture improves.

Very disappointing place to work for

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are stable (so I thought) employment and steady work. Very smart CEO and technology is very advanced.

Cons

Lack of even a single African American in Management since company inception, if I say more it will be easy to know who I am so suffice it to say I am very unhappy .No promotion to good loyal employees, only friends and family get promoted. I was never promoted my entire time there, suffered discriminatory actions against me many times and even though it was brought to HR three times nothing was ever done, believe it or not. I was lied to repeatedly and generally treated very poorly by people there for far less time than I was, the manager of my team spent more time home than in the office and played favorites and ignored my hard work. I gave my best effort which never seemed to be enough until I discovered I was born with the wrong color skin and then I was able to see clearly. I was lied to repeatedly both in front of my face and behind my back and suffice it to say, I am unhappy about my time there and would not recommend this as a place to work unless you are able to have a thick skin, the managers are very hard driving and low complementing. I am glad I am elsewhere now because discrimination is real there. Those from the Northern part of India have it best there.

New managers who actually care about their employees.