REI Systems

Updated 26 February 2015
2.7

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Startup IT company in INDIA (Be aware of this company)

Current Employee - Software Developer in Pune
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Pune

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only one Manager is good here -- SIVA

Cons

-MD is hyper , He throws chairs in front of employees. He is mentally unstable. He stays dormant when things are not going with Developer side. He only thinks about Money
    - Management team is of 3 people only . They never care about employee.
    - Policy are worst . only 7 holidays in entire year
    - Office timing are even worst.
    - They forced employees in ill conditions
    - No basic amenities.
    - No Direct Relationship with REI US Team . That is why there is no links in REI systems US website.

- They show good things at the time of interview but actually suck blood during development.
    - MD has given management to bunch of idiots.

Great people, great intentions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

REI Systems is dedicated to providing the best customer experience above all else. We are passionate about the work we do and want to do it the best way we know how.

The people are amazing. I have not experienced malicious office politics here like I have at other companies and in other work environments.

Senior Management is committed to improving employee morale - employee surveys, manager 360 reviews, lunch with executives, town hall meetings, anonymous texts for collecting feedback are all tools that have been implemented to measure satisfaction and make changes.

Cons

There is often last minute scrambling to get work done on time. Due to our desire to meet customer expectations, we often fail to nail down requirements until right before deployment. Sometimes this causes lots of re-work and frustrations.

The quality of the product often suffers due to constant changes.

Hold managers accountable for last minute work overload or failure to maintain standards.

Communication of big picture plans and discussions with team members needs to happen daily. People should not feel left in the dark about why decisions are made and how they will be affected.

All-American sweatshop! Minus the Americans.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good digs, good work computer. I had enough time to pick up lunch at the gas station nearby and eat at my desk.

Cons

Above is the best I could do on good things. The employees are seen as tools, not people. I know this because I climbed the ladder quickly and got to hear the management discussions about their underlings. It's not good. I would never treat people the way they do by default.

I was working 13 hour days minimum, and I only tolerated it because I don't have dependents of my own. Please, do me a favor and don't ever entertain the idea of working at REI. You can thank me over a beer sometime.

No advice, you're the problem. Just sell the company and move on.

Run, don't walk!

I worked at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Good location, nice offices and facilities.

Cons

Only do one thing--web-based software development. If you are from a foreign country, like India, this might be a good place to get experience, citizenship, or both. Be prepared for long hours, bad management, playing favorites, and not carry over vacation hours for they never gave you time off. If you are a manager, Indian or not, you should run, not walk from this place. No opportunities for advancement, losing contracts.

Replace the management team or sell the company. Lies add up.

Friendly Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-> Friendly colleagues
    -> Flexible timings
    -> Work will keep you busy
    -> Excellent benefits

Cons

-> Need to work on cutting edge technologies.. Again this all depends on the govt. needs as most of the projects are health care projects.
    -> Routine work. Sometimes it's boring to work on the same thing.

An IT sweatshop

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

Not for Everybody

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers; management values continuous education. The office space is outstanding. Employees generally have very good cooperative relationships with an attitude of mutual support.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. If you are an Indian male you have a better chance for recognition and advancement. The company which is located in Loudon County, is more than 50 percent Indian and you cant do that by accident. The Indian team members are "trusted" the rest are seen as "necessary evils". The upper management are out of their depth and the company's mediocre growth is a symptom of this.

Clean house. Owners retire so that a competent management team can make the necessary changes in operations.

You work really hard and don't get much in terms of pay

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems as a contractor

Pros

The community was awesome. You are working long hours with people and really getting to know them. Most people are really nice, but some times there are blow ups due to the stress. The work was really interesting and challenging though.

Cons

They work you round the clock. My phone never stopped ringing. I would be at work till 2am in the morning then have a manager call me at 10am asking me why I am not at work. They have completely unrealistic expectations of their employees in terms of hours. I couldn't even imagine being a salary employee there.

Bump up the pay and bump down the hours.

Sweatshop Masquerading as Government Contractor

I worked at REI Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flex hours
    - Can work from home occasionally, if pre-arranged with supervisor

Cons

- Unimaginative management.
    - Poor HR department.
    - Abysmal in-house communications.
    - Clients are never wrong.

- Realize that REI is no longer a small business.
    - Hire managers with American know-how, who don't act like slaves in front of government clients.
    - Stop lying to employees and treating them like idiots.
    - Revamp the HR department to be a professional, pro-employee (instead of exclusively pro-management) organization.