REI Systems Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
2.8

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 6 reviews)

• Very friendly work environment, which also includes top management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Majority of the Project Managers/Portfolio Managers are horrible to work with (in 4 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I actually like working here!

Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Project Coordinator in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

REI systems actually listens to employees (Has multiple meetings per year with all employees like the recent Town hall, all hands meeting, and encourages feedback thru Yaller - a social collaboration tool). Based on past feedback, many positive changes have taken place.
    People here actually do care. Yes there are a couple of odd ones, but which company does not Last year;s 360 reviews and a 'management development program' were good steps. I am seeing a positive trend.
    Don't go by every feedback you read here. This company has a strong and good culture.

Cons

Yes - there are some bad apples. which place doesn't? Yes -the business development has slowed down, but that is this whole area (remember sequestration and its effects?) Calm down folks - the economy is reviving.

Look at those bad apples and take action. Good job so far..

Stay away !!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friends , Happy feet club, Toast masters club, benefits

Cons

Resource managers here donot know how to manage people.
    You will never be treated with respect. You will be yelling, name calling, politics .

Long work hours due to poor planning .

You need to train your Resource managers with basic 101 on people management and resource planning.

Love my new job at REI!!!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Talented, creative and smart folks
    - My earlier company did not have a "professional development" plan; so I am getting used to the 40 hours of professional development offered to by REI to all of their employees; kind of like what Google does for its employees
    - The company has a heritage ..This was evident during the week long activities planned for celebrating REI's 25th anniversary
    - There are some really good ping pong players...We recently concluded a ping pong tournament
    and Friday bagels :-)

Cons

- I know projects are doing this in their own environment, but it would be nice to have a research lab, where latest technologies can be tried out...

thanks and please keep up the good work!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location.
    Benefits.
    bagel Friday
    big kitchen
    happy feet running club.

Cons

Poor management , poor work culture , favouritism. One has to develop good relations out of work to be in good books with the managers so that you can have peaceful life.
    You are taken for granted to work on weekends and late night atleast for most of the projects.
    Relatives and friends of the executive team are in the manager positions.

Hire Americans to be your resource managers. Replace everyone in the management with American managers so that work culture improves.

Very disappointing place to work for

I worked at REI Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros are stable (so I thought) employment and steady work. Very smart CEO and technology is very advanced.

Cons

Lack of even a single African American in Management since company inception, if I say more it will be easy to know who I am so suffice it to say I am very unhappy .No promotion to good loyal employees, only friends and family get promoted. I was never promoted my entire time there, suffered discriminatory actions against me many times and even though it was brought to HR three times nothing was ever done, believe it or not. I was lied to repeatedly and generally treated very poorly by people there for far less time than I was, the manager of my team spent more time home than in the office and played favorites and ignored my hard work. I gave my best effort which never seemed to be enough until I discovered I was born with the wrong color skin and then I was able to see clearly. I was lied to repeatedly both in front of my face and behind my back and suffice it to say, I am unhappy about my time there and would not recommend this as a place to work unless you are able to have a thick skin, the managers are very hard driving and low complementing. I am glad I am elsewhere now because discrimination is real there. Those from the Northern part of India have it best there.

New managers who actually care about their employees.

Think twice before joining this company

I worked at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location and THAT'S IT.

Cons

If you have some self-esteem you should think ten times before joining this company. Bad management (from top to bottom) to the core. Most of the managers you will get chance to work with don't care about you spending some quality time with your family. This company preaches work life balance but don't follow it. Not to mention all the favoritism that is shown by these managers to the people who loves to say 'YES' to their every demand. If you go against their will then only god can save you. If you survive working in this company under their evil management, you can survive anywhere in this universe.

Open up your eyes and mind and seriously start looking after the well being of your (non-managerial level) employees. They deserve better for all the hard work they are putting in on day to day basis.

Keep away

I worked at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cannot find any. Even required 5 words. I didn't meet before such lack of respect to employees.

Cons

Not american company. Ugly work ethic, poor management, working overtime is a must. I wonder why people still stay there?

None. Disrespect.

REI systems

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Flexible hours
    Low morale

Cons

No Promotion
    Promotes only friends and family

REI invests in employees

Current Employee - Associate Software Architect  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was so excited when I got the MS COE pioneer plaque and dell tablet. I was already happy and satisfied with all the opportunities that REI provides for us to improve our technical skills - MSDN accounts, powerful laptops, plural sight account, trainings and 1 week of professional development hours.

I wanted to personally thank you senior mgmt for making all this happen. I get to work with other govt contracting companies as a sub contract. From what I have seen, REI is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Need to win more projects to sustain

bid and win more projects

Stay Away

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

location is good for my commute and the health benefits are nice

Cons

The management is not knowledgeable in the areas of the employees that they supervise. They under utilize then complain you are not productive. Not allowed to take initiative to find work to fill your time either because they see this as going over your manager's head and involving yourself in things you have no business being involved in. Task directions are vague and use a lot of fluff. When you try to cut through the BS to figure out what you are really being asked to do they act like you are incompetent. They say they are diverse but they are not. You better be from India to be successful and given a chance here. I have been a senior leadership position in my past positions but was criticized for making recommendations here after two months because I am too new. Anything that you point out that they could do better just makes them defensive and you get criticized for not appreciating the REI Way and organization and culture (which they think is so unique and wonderful). Do not dare bring past experiences or lessons learned or best practices here. They don't want to hear it because they think they are unique. They rather rebuild the wheel. The President is wonderful but about to retire. Unfortunately, his VP do not display his values and walk all over him. I tried escalating an issue with my supervisor and failed horribly. I talked directly to my manager and then tried going to the next level manager. He didn't even listen to me and then told my manager I complained so I got screamed at the next day. So I went to HR. They supposedly did an "official investigation" but despite all the written documentation I provided through emails and lync conversations, nothing came from it. They left it to the higher manager to determine what to do and he decided to change nothing. They would not allow me to work with anyone instead of or in addition to who I already work with therefore giving me no chance to get feedback from anyone else. The manager and HR met with me and only provided a written list of personal character attacks on me. When I begged to please read my documentation the only response I received was a criticism of my meeting note format (which by the way was the company template). I was told that taking meeting notes makes it appear as if I am trying to prepare a case against them....maybe I should. So be productive but don't ask for work, repeat tasking to ensure you are on the same page with your manager but don't take notes. And do not dare report anything to anyone about one of the loyal employees in the click. Everyone I know working on this contract has left the office at least twice in tears. I attempted to just clarify a company policy that was told to us by HR during orientation which my supervisor stated differently when I attempted to use the policy and was criticized for not respecting my supervisor and trusting their instruction. However, turns out my supervisor was wrong and my clarification allowed me to be able to take leave I otherwise would not have been able to. But I have been directed that going forward I am expected to blindly follow my supervisors instruction ... no thinking for yourself or discussion allowed here. This click runs the show and no one dares to question them or go against them ... not any employee, not HR, not even the President.

I was told that I did not quality for a position and therefore accepted a lower salary for supposedly a lower position. However, when I got here I was given the position that I did not quality for and more to do. When I questioned this being a lower position, I was told that it was never intended to be a lower position. I am supposedly in this position temporarily because of an audit in my permanent department but when the audit was over and there was an opening I requested to move into the position and was told how dare you ask to be moved into another position when you haven't even succeeded in the one you have.

Company profit is on a steady decline for the last two years and they are finding it difficult to win new work.

Get rid of your VP because being a good manager and financially beneficial for the company does not make you a good leader. The entire team is unhappy, frustrated, and ready to leave. Morale will increase, employees will stay, and costs will decrease.

Worked for REI Systems? Contribute to the Community!