Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon(in 10 reviews)

Company of Geeks

Community Affairs (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people are what make this company truly the best place to work on earth.

ConsAs we grow its harder to know every single person in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

The Fanatical Support is wonderful

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsA wonderful way to grow at your career. Its a place where you can find your dream job.

ConsNo Cons. The place is awesome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture of fanatical support alive.

Love every minute!

ProsGreat culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)

ConsWe are treated so well that some of the employees feel entitled to certain privileges

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rackspace is a people-focused organization, great culture.

Pros-A lot of room for growth
    -Great culture and working with great people
    -Employees encouraged to take initiative
    -Work life balance

Cons-Can move slow at times since it's mid-sized
    -HQ in San Antonio

Best job I have had

Windows Support Systems Engineer (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGood benefits, open work schedule, reasonable salary/compensation

ConsIdentity crisis, no clear view on what we do as a company.

It has been a unique experience.

ProsFun place to work. Flexible.

ConsAs the company grows it loses its culture,family feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget what you did to get here and the people that helped you on the way...

Top Heavy

Trainer (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsYou might land with a good Manager and get good training and growth opportunities. There are also a lot of great and interesting people, so it is easy to create new friendships with coworkers. There also are several fun activities you can participate, and the working space is very dynamic and fun.

ConsIt is very political, good ol' boy network with lots of socially immature people. Salaries are low, unless you belong to the select few (who most likely happen to be Caucasian) It is very hard for minority women and immigrants to excel. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism across the board, whole families working there, many married couples. Executives are greedy and take great salaries and compensate those who support their agendas with promotions. They want workers to forget about all the unfairness by giving them free soda and caffeinated drinks, bringing food trucks and having a slide instead of a stairwell. The all positive reviews are from people who either worked in a simple job (not a career) before Rackspace, and from those who have 3 or less years in the company and think they will be successful in a matter of time. If you have been there for a while and speak up these concerns, you will be labeled as a "non-Racker", who does not fit the culture anymore.
    Decision-makers are stingy with internal tools, and purchase cheap or old licenses, forcing employees to do a lot of manual work creating a lot of human error, lack of consistency, inability to pull trustworthy metrics, and frustration.
    Many employees are unable to attend training, even though it is available internally, due to never ending customer emergencies. Many entry level workers (several of them minorities) never get to learn and grow their careers, feel stuck and blame it on themselves, seeing only the isolated incidents and not noticing it is company wide and systemic. Hence the constant internal movement of managers and so called "leaders" whom, after failing in one area, are moved to a different area, transferring and expanding their cliques.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit when you see Rackers who are not cut out or ready for management and leadership roles and get them out of those positions. Stop promoting and favoring people who look, think and speak like you. Have consistency, allow for things to mature. Pick fewer projects and do them well. Invest in great tools even if they are expensive. Stop the luscious salaries,trips and perks to a select few. And bring women to leadership, make them feel like staying.

Great Place To Learn

Windows Systems Administrator III (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsWork environment is entertaining and certainly vibrant.

ConsEntire company is full of cliques.

Enterprise BDC

BDC (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsFun place to work with a lot of great people. You can wear what you want and they have food vendors on sight so you don't have to leave work to grab lunch. They also have a gym on site with boot camps and other things available that you can do during lunch. These are things that make a strong culture and they try to make sure you are comfortable.

ConsCompany has lost sight of what they are in business for and have positioned themselves to compete with Amazon on a commodity product. This is a dangerous place since the majority of revenue comes from services and dedicated hosting. The push is to great to be in the cloud.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your lower management, I think this is overlooked and mid and lower management is filled with warm bodies not necessarily someone who has been trained to be in position.

Lack of direction

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat people! Servant hearts.

ConsNo consistent direction, strategy and messaging changes every 6 weeks. Clash between legacy Rackers and new talent they are bringing in. New leaders over-simplify the problems and spend a lot of time on obvious problems that can't be fixed with existing budget and talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementSettle down and make a plan.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!