Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon(in 10 reviews)

Good place to work there

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsIt is okay types company... if you don't have any other offer, then go for it

Conshings vary from project to project/ team to team... always be ready to move out and search for new opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementGood place to work

Fun, high growth and fast paced enviroment

Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat people to work with, ability to telecommute, great sense of company pride and fun culture

ConsLong hours, ability to telecommute means you're always working

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Director (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsUnparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

ConsConstant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for in general...

Customer Support Technician (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people hired at Rackspace are wonderful to work with.
    Benefits are great
    Environment is awesome-- HQ offers a full-service Rec center with fitness classes and personal training sessions, Airrosti, etc.
    Lots of career opportunities if you can find them and have the time to dedicate to shadowing outside of your day to day job.

ConsWorking in support you don't get much time to appreciate all of the fun activities and games that are offered or time to shadow other teams
    Overworked due to headcount
    Very demanding and draining work
    Little recognition
    Sit at a desk for 8+ hours

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Fanatical Support is what our business is all about, it would be nice to see more effort and value put into our support Rackers.

Rackspace has a fun atmosphere.

Linux Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsAbility to learn and grow in a fun environment. Managers care and are willing to work with you on schedules and projects.

ConsIt can be frustrating at times due to much disorganization. Different departments are sometimes working on similar projects leading to inefficiency. Training is provided to a certain level, but there is no structured training for advanced topics.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Rackspace is going to differentiate itself from competitors based on support, then the support floor needs to be more valued instead of being treated like "people who barely made it through community college" as I've heard people say.

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

ConsRackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

great place

Prosloved team culture and camaraderie

Consnot much room for growth

Still a great place to work, the few imperfections make it even better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat mix of motivated, creative people all wanting to build greatness. Relaxed culture but that doesn't imply lazy or unfocused. Constant drive to evolve, a winners attitude and enough passion to float a ship. Senior leaders are doing all the right things strategically and all other levels of leadership pulling in the same direction. Constantly growing in size and visibly "growing up" into a fun corporate.

ConsSuffered from misaligned strategy in the past, some catching up to do. Suffering from teenage "coming of age issues", should pass in a few years with strong parenting (leadership). A lot of employee movement within the business, as well as into and out of the company. Great for job seekers but the constant churn is can be concerning.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay in touch with all levels of the business, ignore the small pain points and continue to chase the big ones.

Company in Transition

Linux Administrator I (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

ConsThe tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

(UK) Great culture, poor advancement/compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Fantastic benefits, which the HR team do a great job with. From personal health (gym, sports days etc.) to general fun, they do a good job of creating a nice buzz.

- Generally, the culture is good. Increasingly, there seemed to be less focus on hiring the "right" characters and personalities for the company, but for most of my tenure I was surrounded by good people.

- Flexible time-off and working from home policies.

Cons- Compensation was really poor, and well below industry averages in some cases. Moving up pay grades was always made into a logistical difficulty (changing job titles, teams etc.).

- Some of the managers are not equipped to be people managers, relying on leaders within the teams to do most of the hands-on managerial work.

- Senior leadership approach the business in a very reactive manner, causing the business focus to shift every 6 months after things go wrong. There is no committed direction and it seems they're winging it.

- No opportunities for progression. Having left since, I have realised how I've probably stunted my own growth by not doing so sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn several years of employment, I was one of many examples of people not once offered to interview for a more prominent position, in spite of performance and clear suitability. In my example, this was despite top-of-class performance reviews, and taking the role of "temporary" manager whenever the managerial team were away, or staff felt they couldn't rely on them.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!