Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work there

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsIt is okay types company... if you don't have any other offer, then go for it

Conshings vary from project to project/ team to team... always be ready to move out and search for new opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementGood place to work

Great experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic people and culture. Great, growing industry and many opportunities to learn, advance and grow your career as the company continues to grow.

ConsAs a fast growing company in a fast growing industry, the company has suffered from corporate ADD in terms of identity, focus and direction causing a great deal of self-inflicted, non-necessary change. The changes are extremely tiring and sap a ton of energy from the Rackers through organizational shifts, customer re-balancing, learning the "flavor of the day/week/month/quarter". Additionally, Rackspace is now fully engaged in the 90-day earnings reports/analyst sentiments, which results in rash decision making, not enough time allowed for investments to pay off, etc. Very poor intra-organizational cooperation to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction/strategy, stick to your guns and execute the plan.

Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace.

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsA 6-year Racker, I am proud to work for a company that makes coming to work every day enjoyable. Rackspace is full of opportunities for employees to explore their passions and help create a world-class company in which people are proud of their career. I have watched Rackspace grow from a privately-held company with approximately 1000 employees to a publicly-traded enterprise-class company and home for 5000+ Rackers. Our Core values are held in the highest regard by everyone in the company, from contracted hourly workers to C-Level executives. Many times have I witnessed and been a part of Rackers banding together to take care of their fellow Rackers, treating them just like family.

Even considering Rackspace is an IT-based company, non-technical employees can expand their knowledge through on-the-job training, classroom training, college courses, and mentoring with other Rackers. Rackspace is a company where ambition and personal drive is rewarded with continual personal growth and expertise. There are not many companies this size where all employees have the ability to provide feedback or suggestions that could very possibly better the entire company.

Additionally, the unique culture at Rackspace resonates in all Rackers. Part of the interview process deals with culture and team-fit. Front-line Rackers have input on prospective candidates ensuring that the people who are hired are genuine and will continue to define what a Racker is.

Being constantly surrounded by some of the smartest, most innovative, and determined thinkers enables Rackers to continually learn from each other, enable each other, and forgive each other. Rackers are humans, as we all are, and we cannot be afraid to try new things, even if we make mistakes or don't perfect the process the first time. Some of the most valuable things I have learned at Rackspace has come from others personal experiences and together we can improve processes, ourselves, and pass knowledge onto to others for further innovation.

I am also very much a fan of our open-door policy and general accessibility to anyone or any department. When you can walk a few rows over and brainstorm with the President of the entire company, it makes you truly feel that you are a vital part of a living corporation. Having a voice, and knowing that voice is heard, is a satisfying feeling. Knowing you are a Racker with a name, a personality, a contributor and a thinker is so much more rewarding then just being an unknown employee of a gigantic company.

ConsRackers know that with perks and a free-spirited culture comes with disadvantages as well. Compared to other corporations in the industry, the pay-scale can be on the lower side than with another employer. Rackspace has recognized this, however, and is working towards salary market adjustments and is investing in employee and talent retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to always be transparent to Racker, always. As we have grown, messages and direction can be lost in translation. We are featured much more in the media and market journalism. Before a Racker reads something online in a blog or media outlet, ensure that things have been communicated internally, and even over-communicated if need be, to avoid speculation, rumors, fears and doubt. Although tedious at times, making sure important messages are communicated through all internal methods can help inform Rackers. Use live-forums, smaller sessions, email communication, printed communication, etc., to best spread the word to Rackers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, high growth and fast paced enviroment

Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat people to work with, ability to telecommute, great sense of company pride and fun culture

ConsLong hours, ability to telecommute means you're always working

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Director (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsUnparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

ConsConstant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

Great company to work for in general...

Customer Support Technician (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people hired at Rackspace are wonderful to work with.
    Benefits are great
    Environment is awesome-- HQ offers a full-service Rec center with fitness classes and personal training sessions, Airrosti, etc.
    Lots of career opportunities if you can find them and have the time to dedicate to shadowing outside of your day to day job.

ConsWorking in support you don't get much time to appreciate all of the fun activities and games that are offered or time to shadow other teams
    Overworked due to headcount
    Very demanding and draining work
    Little recognition
    Sit at a desk for 8+ hours

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Fanatical Support is what our business is all about, it would be nice to see more effort and value put into our support Rackers.

Rackspace has a fun atmosphere.

Linux Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsAbility to learn and grow in a fun environment. Managers care and are willing to work with you on schedules and projects.

ConsIt can be frustrating at times due to much disorganization. Different departments are sometimes working on similar projects leading to inefficiency. Training is provided to a certain level, but there is no structured training for advanced topics.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Rackspace is going to differentiate itself from competitors based on support, then the support floor needs to be more valued instead of being treated like "people who barely made it through community college" as I've heard people say.

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

ConsRackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

great place

Prosloved team culture and camaraderie

Consnot much room for growth

Going, going.....gon

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThere are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

ConsFocus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!