Rackspace Reviews

Updated 26 April 2015
608 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In 25+ years in IT, I have rarely worked in an environment with such a high proportion of committed, enthusiastic, energetic and (usually) expert colleagues. This definitely makes Rackspace a rewarding place to work

Cons

The flip side of working alongside the committed, high-energy colleagues is that you are expected to deliver results, and constantly raise the bar. This is no bad thing, but equally anyone looking for an easy ride should probably not apply

Advice to Management

Keep focused, don't get distracted, stay scrappy. Fight the culture of entitlement, and make sure Rackers work as hard and smart today as they did "back in the day". We are getting better all the time, and the only thing that will pull us down is when we feel we deserve a seat at the top table ~by right~

2. Rackers are the best people you'll know!

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Rackers are amazing. The culture is great and the customers see us as partners and not a vendor.

Cons

Growing pains and a lot of Leadership changes.

Advice to Management

Start paying the talent, too many Rackers leaving for better pay.

3. Lead Generation Specialist

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing place to work with people who only want to build you up for success!

Cons

There are no cons I could think of.

5. I loved it, and it was painful to leave. I met some of my best friends there.

Former Employee - Agile Business Process Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Agile Business Process Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and mission Rackspace was founded on is still strong. The work environment is similar to what you might find at startups in Seattle or some of the better companies in Silicon Valley. While Rackspace could not compete with them, such an environment is unheard of in Texas; which makes them unique in that area.

Cons

Rackspace is struggling. They have an extremely strong culture (in which you are treated as family) but it is clashing with their business growth needs. Like everywhere else, there is a slight but growing infection of poor, short-sighted, and fundamentally frightened management. Pay also tends to be on the poor side, as they consider their culture to be "worth the paycut"/

Advice to Management

Vision is not clear and traceable from C-level to front-line support and development. Once a front line worker can trace his career objectives through his team, department, and division missions to the way each supports a piece of the corporate vision; most of the other problems will fall into place.

Mid and senior leadership is a revolving door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace is a good place for folks to start their careers and get involved in technology, especially if they're in south Texas.

Cons

Rackspace is a $1.8 Billion company still being run like a $50 Million company. The leadership runs the company with a non-data driven, "shoot from the hip" mentality - primarily because much of the senior leadership never developed the enterprise class leadership capabilities required to both recruit and develop a high performance workplace. As a result, most mid and senior level talent brought in to change the company are obstructed by entrenched long term "Rackers" who are more interested in holding onto their fiefdoms than moving the company forward. Even if you are able to overcome the entrenched obstructionists, your performance isn't rewarded. For this reason, the bulk of talented mid and senior level new hires quickly become frustrated and move on - the result is overall weak leadership at the company at all levels.

Advice to Management

Fire most of your VPs and directors and bring in a team that knows how to develop, nurture and sustain talent.

7. Review

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people, good benefits

Cons

salary 20-30% less than market rate

8. Finally Growing Up

Former Employee - Someone In IT in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Someone In IT in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are awesome and very talented. The culture varies depending on what area of the company you are working in. It is mostly a positive culture. The fact that you can wear practically anything is a huge plus. I certainly miss wearing t-shirts to work. The majority of managers are very easy to work for and support their direct reports. Leadership directors and up is a coin toss.

Cons

Being that they are finally trying to move away from a start up mentality, they are taking benefits away from the employees. But if you are new you will not miss what you never had. It is extremely hard to get promoted in IT, yet seems much easier outside of IT. There still some rogue processes going on in certain parts of the company, so don't be surprised if there isn't a formal policy or procedure where you would expect to find one.

Advice to Management

Directors and senior leadership, you should ask your managers for input and not make decisions that eventually hurt everyone on the teams below you.

9. Good times, but doesn't always do what is say's on the tin.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, benefits and culture.

Cons

Tend to change structures and accounts to quickly so not stability for staff in role or continuity for customers.

Advice to Management

New initiatives take time to work and do not always so immediate results so need to be patient. And to listen to industry experts they bring in rather than ignore.

Datacenter technician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Lax dress code
    Your team starts to feel like family
    Paid training (if you could get approval and the classes weren't full)
    Somewhat flexible hours, if your shift lead will work with you
    Team outings
    Can be a very laid back environment

Cons

To build up cooperation between shifts, they performed a "shift lead swap." Not all of the datacenter shift leads had a technical support or administration background, so one shift at a time ended up with management from someone that was not capable of leading the team of providing assistance on tickets because of a lack of training.
    At times, the work environment was highly critical of technicians that did not fit in because of their sex/sexual preference/race
    If you do not live in or near San Antonio, there is very little room for advancement
    We had conflicting goals, in that we had to quickly and efficiently resolve tickets, but we were not allowed to resolve issues that were in the domain of system administrators, even if it would save the customer time and we were trained to fix said issue.
    They place far too much emphasis on metrics, but disregard complexity of the tickets, so metrics can be extremely skewed by someone taking non-issue tickets such as server reboots and password resets.

Advice to Management

Consider allowing telecommuting for admins, because there is a huge pool of talent that is not located in San Antonio and already working for the company.

11. Forbes 100 best companies to work for

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lenient, generous vacation hours, benefits, awesome caring team members and leaders, gym, on site food, training.

Cons

Very political. Not as competitive in the salaries.

Advice to Management

Don't join the high school immaturity, be above if. Don't advance people to management because they are your friend, this creates a terrible management chain and political atmosphere.