Rackspace Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it here!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Nice people, great environment and stuff

Cons

Get lost in castle and cant find anywhere.

What culture?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Health benefits are good
    -Smart, dedicated coworkers

Cons

-Pay is below market; management is aware and ok with this.
    -Upward mobility extremely limited.
    -Highly stressful call center environment
    -Extremely poor staffing leads to work overload and unrealistic expectations of employees
    -Low and Mid level management effectively shifts blame onto support floor staff regarding issues, staffing.
    -Limited ability to use earned time off due to aforementioned staffing

-Find and remove problem-causing low and mid level management. As long as these guys are in positions of power you will continue to have dissatisfied employees.
    -Bring back culture and work/life balance
    -Properly staff your teams so that workload is reasonable
    -Pay market salaries
    -Bring back Core Values. Remember when Transparency was a thing?

The rules change depending on who is doing the reading

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

very little oversight or guidance

Cons

very little oversight or guidance

Don't be so full of yourselves
    Try understand the jobs you are in charge of managing
    Culture is not only for the first shift and the non technical

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, high growth and fast paced enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, ability to telecommute, great sense of company pride and fun culture

Cons

Long hours, ability to telecommute means you're always working

Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A 6-year Racker, I am proud to work for a company that makes coming to work every day enjoyable. Rackspace is full of opportunities for employees to explore their passions and help create a world-class company in which people are proud of their career. I have watched Rackspace grow from a privately-held company with approximately 1000 employees to a publicly-traded enterprise-class company and home for 5000+ Rackers. Our Core values are held in the highest regard by everyone in the company, from contracted hourly workers to C-Level executives. Many times have I witnessed and been a part of Rackers banding together to take care of their fellow Rackers, treating them just like family.

Even considering Rackspace is an IT-based company, non-technical employees can expand their knowledge through on-the-job training, classroom training, college courses, and mentoring with other Rackers. Rackspace is a company where ambition and personal drive is rewarded with continual personal growth and expertise. There are not many companies this size where all employees have the ability to provide feedback or suggestions that could very possibly better the entire company.

Additionally, the unique culture at Rackspace resonates in all Rackers. Part of the interview process deals with culture and team-fit. Front-line Rackers have input on prospective candidates ensuring that the people who are hired are genuine and will continue to define what a Racker is.

Being constantly surrounded by some of the smartest, most innovative, and determined thinkers enables Rackers to continually learn from each other, enable each other, and forgive each other. Rackers are humans, as we all are, and we cannot be afraid to try new things, even if we make mistakes or don't perfect the process the first time. Some of the most valuable things I have learned at Rackspace has come from others personal experiences and together we can improve processes, ourselves, and pass knowledge onto to others for further innovation.

I am also very much a fan of our open-door policy and general accessibility to anyone or any department. When you can walk a few rows over and brainstorm with the President of the entire company, it makes you truly feel that you are a vital part of a living corporation. Having a voice, and knowing that voice is heard, is a satisfying feeling. Knowing you are a Racker with a name, a personality, a contributor and a thinker is so much more rewarding then just being an unknown employee of a gigantic company.

Cons

Rackers know that with perks and a free-spirited culture comes with disadvantages as well. Compared to other corporations in the industry, the pay-scale can be on the lower side than with another employer. Rackspace has recognized this, however, and is working towards salary market adjustments and is investing in employee and talent retention.

Continue to always be transparent to Racker, always. As we have grown, messages and direction can be lost in translation. We are featured much more in the media and market journalism. Before a Racker reads something online in a blog or media outlet, ensure that things have been communicated internally, and even over-communicated if need be, to avoid speculation, rumors, fears and doubt. Although tedious at times, making sure important messages are communicated through all internal methods can help inform Rackers. Use live-forums, smaller sessions, email communication, printed communication, etc., to best spread the word to Rackers.

Was A Great Place To Work... Was

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

RS is very good to their employees on the surface. There are many perks, everyone is stoked to go to work, and it seems as though you're going to have a ton of fun on the job. In many areas of the company this is completely true and RS provides. They provide a very fun, relaxed environment that allows you to thrive if you're a self starter.

Cons

Management is becoming less and less "Rackspace." Over the last couple years the management team has become full of managers operating under the theory X style of management. They have driven many, many long term Rackers out, including the CEO. If management doesn't look to those leaders who have been around since the early days (those that are left) they're going to drive them away. I went from a die hard Racker to someone who was completely heart broken when I saw this decline... It is as if they don't ever know what the CORE values are.

Clean house and start over.

Beware the dark side

Current Employee - Decline to State  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, constant change, lots of challenging work, and significant opportunity for advancement if you play the social and political game correctly.

Cons

There is a very dark underbelly to the company's constant focus on its core values. In most cases, people really live these values but they are very frequently used as a weapon to ostracize people who challenge too much or who are disliked by the powerful social cliques that run the place. Rackspace claims to be a pure meritocracy but it is a great deal more like high school. If you can be one of the popular kids and are good at what you do, you can grow an amazing career at Rackspace. On the other hand, if you are great at what you do but you are threatening to any of the in-groups, you're going to suffer intensely.

You REALLY need to get G&A under control and it's going to take cuts to headcount to do it. There are long-time Rackers who have risen far past their highest point of competence and you need to stop treating tenure as though it is the equal of merit.

Going, going.....gon

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

Cons

Focus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Senior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Linux Administrator I  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

The tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Determine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Current Employee - Director  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

Cons

Constant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Don't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!