Rackspace Reviews

Updated 22 September 2014
Updated 22 September 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, high growth and fast paced enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, ability to telecommute, great sense of company pride and fun culture

Cons

Long hours, ability to telecommute means you're always working

Great company to work for in general...

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people hired at Rackspace are wonderful to work with.
    Benefits are great
    Environment is awesome-- HQ offers a full-service Rec center with fitness classes and personal training sessions, Airrosti, etc.
    Lots of career opportunities if you can find them and have the time to dedicate to shadowing outside of your day to day job.

Cons

Working in support you don't get much time to appreciate all of the fun activities and games that are offered or time to shadow other teams
    Overworked due to headcount
    Very demanding and draining work
    Little recognition
    Sit at a desk for 8+ hours

Since Fanatical Support is what our business is all about, it would be nice to see more effort and value put into our support Rackers.

Rackspace has a fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to learn and grow in a fun environment. Managers care and are willing to work with you on schedules and projects.

Cons

It can be frustrating at times due to much disorganization. Different departments are sometimes working on similar projects leading to inefficiency. Training is provided to a certain level, but there is no structured training for advanced topics.

If Rackspace is going to differentiate itself from competitors based on support, then the support floor needs to be more valued instead of being treated like "people who barely made it through community college" as I've heard people say.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

loved team culture and camaraderie

Cons

not much room for growth

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

Cons

Rackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

Bureaucratic processes, endless change, poor middle management, no vision

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Good name on resume - work here for a year then leave

Cons

- Highly bureaucratic due to internal politics and legacy of endless change
    - Middle managers have no time to provide direction or recognize talent
    - Much middle management has no technical skill
    - Little vision on where industry is going (hint: Amazon)
    - Little opportunity within - massive teams for simple products, small teams for core business/processes
    - Pay is lower than industry average
    - Very high level of burnout
    - No work-life balance
    - Everyone is a manager, nobody manages

- Trim middle management
    - Recognize core people and promote technical staff, not bureaucrats

Still a great place to work, the few imperfections make it even better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great mix of motivated, creative people all wanting to build greatness. Relaxed culture but that doesn't imply lazy or unfocused. Constant drive to evolve, a winners attitude and enough passion to float a ship. Senior leaders are doing all the right things strategically and all other levels of leadership pulling in the same direction. Constantly growing in size and visibly "growing up" into a fun corporate.

Cons

Suffered from misaligned strategy in the past, some catching up to do. Suffering from teenage "coming of age issues", should pass in a few years with strong parenting (leadership). A lot of employee movement within the business, as well as into and out of the company. Great for job seekers but the constant churn is can be concerning.

Continue to stay in touch with all levels of the business, ignore the small pain points and continue to chase the big ones.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Linux Administrator I  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

The tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Determine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

A good company going sour

Current Employee - Software Developer II  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fun work environment, slide, coffee shop in-house, trees inside, many conference rooms that can be used for unscheduled ad-hoc meetings, located in an old mall

Cons

The culture has gone from Friends and Family to hostile and dangerous. Management is not listening to the real needs of people and makes crazy decisions on what is really needed vs what management thinks we need. Waste of money is always the outcome.

Listen to your employees. Make sure you understand your employee's real needs. Make sure you encourage your employees to push the envelope rather than cutting corners and making things on the "cheap".

Giving employees bad reviews because they try to push the envelope is not helping; it's counter productive and hostile. Advancing from within is almost impossible,

Top Heavy

Current Employee - Trainer  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Trainer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You might land with a good Manager and get good training and growth opportunities. There are also a lot of great and interesting people, so it is easy to create new friendships with coworkers. There also are several fun activities you can participate, and the working space is very dynamic and fun.

Cons

It is very political, good ol' boy network with lots of socially immature people. Salaries are low, unless you belong to the select few (who most likely happen to be Caucasian) It is very hard for minority women and immigrants to excel. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism across the board, whole families working there, many married couples. Executives are greedy and take great salaries and compensate those who support their agendas with promotions. They want workers to forget about all the unfairness by giving them free soda and caffeinated drinks, bringing food trucks and having a slide instead of a stairwell. The all positive reviews are from people who either worked in a simple job (not a career) before Rackspace, and from those who have 3 or less years in the company and think they will be successful in a matter of time. If you have been there for a while and speak up these concerns, you will be labeled as a "non-Racker", who does not fit the culture anymore.
    Decision-makers are stingy with internal tools, and purchase cheap or old licenses, forcing employees to do a lot of manual work creating a lot of human error, lack of consistency, inability to pull trustworthy metrics, and frustration.
    Many employees are unable to attend training, even though it is available internally, due to never ending customer emergencies. Many entry level workers (several of them minorities) never get to learn and grow their careers, feel stuck and blame it on themselves, seeing only the isolated incidents and not noticing it is company wide and systemic. Hence the constant internal movement of managers and so called "leaders" whom, after failing in one area, are moved to a different area, transferring and expanding their cliques.

Admit when you see Rackers who are not cut out or ready for management and leadership roles and get them out of those positions. Stop promoting and favoring people who look, think and speak like you. Have consistency, allow for things to mature. Pick fewer projects and do them well. Invest in great tools even if they are expensive. Stop the luscious salaries,trips and perks to a select few. And bring women to leadership, make them feel like staying.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!