Rackspace Reviews

Updated 17 April 2015
603 reviews filtered by

Great culture with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace has hired some great managers; those that really care about who you are, what you're doing, what's engaging you, what obstacles you have, what you need to succeed, etc. The list goes on. There's lots of opportunity to grow from entry level positions. Training opportunities are abound. Some neat projects are being built. No shortage of servers. Stock price has been going up thanks to new direction and new CEO. The Fanatical Support message is being driven home -- a good thing, since it's Rackspace's bread and butter. Profit sharing bonuses are awesome, when they pay. Stock options are getting more meager due to stock buyback program. Benefits are better than everywhere else, but since benefits suck everywhere that's not saying much.

Cons

The longer I spend at Rackspace the more red tape and bureaucracy I find. My team had the vision and the ability to to execute on some really new, desperately needed products that never made it due to inter-office/inter-department politics. Some organizations are fighting for MRR leading to misalignment of projects to the appropriate department. Rackspace is easily out-engineered by other companies and projects take an eternity to complete. Our ties to OpenStack are almost burdensome; the foundation is like the UN: infighting and politics are everywhere.

Advice to Management

Less bureaucracy, more progress. Do not let ass-covering, political-game playing managers stand in the way of progress.

2. Great Company Culture, Challenging Market Conditions

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Rackspace cares about their people and has built a very special culture where "Rackers" are very dedicated to the cause. They are fighting hard against stiff competition from AWS, Microsoft, Google, and lots of others.

Cons

There are too many layers of middle management and a lack of product vision. Rackspace is a services company , so don't think you are going to work for an innovator.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of the layers of management, and empower people.

Death of a once great company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Front line rackers (support, engineers, developers) are generally great people to work with. Many are burning the candle at both ends hoping for the company to correct itself.

Cons

- Layoffs: As the company continues to hire, layoffs have been occurring with very little transparency leading to rampant speculation.

- Death of Core Values: The core values at Rackspace are officially dead. We ought to simply paint over them and recognize they are no longer a guidepost for how we operate the business.

- Difficulty Leaving San Antonio: If you move to San Antonio, realize that it will be very difficult to leave. In some ways, management uses this to their advantage. If Rackspace were located in a high-tech city, the inept leadership at this company would not be allowed to behave in the way they currently are, they would all be fired as a mass exodus and the resulting reputation hit would be immediately evident. In San Antonio, it will take

- CEO: The new CEO and the changes that have been implemented have been disappointing. He is out of touch with customers, Rackers. The best thing for him to happen is to "retire from Rackspace". At Rackspace, retirement has a different meaning if you are a senior executive.

Advice to Management

The SLT and most VPs are in positions that they are extremely under qualified for. One of the few things SLT is world class at is the art of re-organization. Surely if you shuffle the deck often enough, greatness might eme

Not really sure what to make of this place.

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Hayes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Hayes, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your hitting target you get treated like a king. Games Room, Dress down, Birthday off and cool office.

Cons

Management are seriously clueless. This is from the very top down right through to support and especially Sales. I was one of their top performers for over two years and instead of management helping me do better my role was constantly hindered and changed to the point i had enough. Its a shame as i truly bought into the values the company try to convey. Also - there is a big company culture in sales to screw customers over once they are onboard. Sell what you can actually do opposed to a pipe dream.

Advice to Management

Stop changing things. Have a plan and stick to it. The constant shift in company strategy is a joke. When implementing change stop panicking at the first sign of trouble and change things further. To be successful you need stability. Also, please stop hiring idiots as managers - over my two years the whole environment became very qlicky. Reward people on merit - not on how much butt they can kiss. Core values is your biggest strength - that needs to stay true throughout the business - At all levels.

Great stepping stone but it's going downhill.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, work-life balance can be good depending on your role. If you don't have experience in IT, you can get a paid education here.

Cons

SLT isn't qualified for the positions they are in. You have VP's and Director's who don't even know the product. Our support has gone downhill. Hard to trust some people because politics are very important here and everyone here will throw you under the bus in order to save themselves. Departments don't work well together because everyone is out to make themselves look good. I have seen them promote people to middle management just because they were terrible at their current job but they were friends with the right people. Also, the culture is non existent. Transparency is an absolute farce. It's a shame. Shareholders rule this company now.

Advice to Management

Take a long look at your longtime Rackers in Senior Management. From Senior Managers on up. Some of them are great but many of them wouldn't get a job at Burger King.

Good company, great training.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rackspace is a great company in which to get your feet wet with tech. You have the opportunity to learn from some of the smartest people, and take classes that can really push you to the next level. The range of technologies you come into contact with on a daily basis is vast.

Cons

Benefits are meh and, being a public company, you feel like the benefits and work-life balance are dictated by the market.

Definite Shift in cuiture (not necessarily in a bad way)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is relaxed, with a focus on trying to support our customers. This was lost for a while, but has resurged within the past 6 months.

Cons

The company is becoming one that is focusing much more on controlling costs and meeting external (stock market) targets. While these are important, the use of austerity measures that seem to be in place are impacting the business tremendously as it attempts to get its costs manageable. The middle management layer is too thick, especially at the director/vp layer. There are many directors/vp's with few (if any) direct reports, and this is onlly helping to spur on austerity measures as these individuals are left in place, but front line positions are cut.

Also, there is still a massive gap in communicating strategy from top down and aligning tactics from bottom up. While each organization at the front line attempts to align as best they can, this gets muddled in the middle. Aligning front line tactics to top line strategies with no connection to middle line business units becomes problematic.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your middle management layer. flatten the organization and remove management positions that are unnecessary. Don't cut front line resources.

9. Working at Rackspace

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Great Benefits and great culture

Cons

Less Pay and culture is changing

Advice to Management

Increase pay

10. Best place I've worked at

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Great culture, good people all round, relaxing environement but work hard, would recommend for anyone

Cons

If not on support floor hard to get noticed

11. SDT intern

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Opportunity to learn more. Very good working environment.

Cons

Some teams are too busy. Difficult to get hold of mentors to seek guidance.