Rackspace Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
Updated 22 October 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 34 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, could be better

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, dress like you would like, laid back, you learn a lot!

Cons

Micro management, products are not compatible with the market.
    Pay is low.

Fire the bad managers who don't know what they are doing and get more developers to build more products.

Great experience!

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic people and culture. Great, growing industry and many opportunities to learn, advance and grow your career as the company continues to grow.

Cons

As a fast growing company in a fast growing industry, the company has suffered from corporate ADD in terms of identity, focus and direction causing a great deal of self-inflicted, non-necessary change. The changes are extremely tiring and sap a ton of energy from the Rackers through organizational shifts, customer re-balancing, learning the "flavor of the day/week/month/quarter". Additionally, Rackspace is now fully engaged in the 90-day earnings reports/analyst sentiments, which results in rash decision making, not enough time allowed for investments to pay off, etc. Very poor intra-organizational cooperation to get things done.

Pick a direction/strategy, stick to your guns and execute the plan.

What culture?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Health benefits are good
    -Smart, dedicated coworkers

Cons

-Pay is below market; management is aware and ok with this.
    -Upward mobility extremely limited.
    -Highly stressful call center environment
    -Extremely poor staffing leads to work overload and unrealistic expectations of employees
    -Low and Mid level management effectively shifts blame onto support floor staff regarding issues, staffing.
    -Limited ability to use earned time off due to aforementioned staffing

-Find and remove problem-causing low and mid level management. As long as these guys are in positions of power you will continue to have dissatisfied employees.
    -Bring back culture and work/life balance
    -Properly staff your teams so that workload is reasonable
    -Pay market salaries
    -Bring back Core Values. Remember when Transparency was a thing?

Used to incredible

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere, fun, being leaders in technology

Cons

personal growth, salaries, constant changing of focus as a business

do a salary survey, don't lose the culture we once had

Love it here!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Nice people, great environment and stuff

Cons

Get lost in castle and cant find anywhere.

The rules change depending on who is doing the reading

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

very little oversight or guidance

Cons

very little oversight or guidance

Don't be so full of yourselves
    Try understand the jobs you are in charge of managing
    Culture is not only for the first shift and the non technical

Going, going.....gon

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

Cons

Focus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Senior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.

Best place I've ever worked, but is slowly turning into just another corporate husk.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace is by far the best company I've ever worked for and has literally changed my life for the better, both physically in improved health and well-being, but also emotionally because it provided me an environment where I felt like I belonged. It's truly the first job I've had where I've been able to experience the positive impact I'm making on others in a real way while also at the same time getting to touch technology that's so new it won't even necessarily "hit shelves" until over a year later.

You will meet many smart, talented, passionate people at this company and they will help take you on a mental journey you never thought was possible. Many of them will end up being your new best friends. When you mix together the energy and talent with the technology resources available you end up being involved in some amazing projects that really put you on the bleeding edge of what's possible. You'll always be learning something new and being exposed to new ideas. Put this all together with a culture that embodies responsibility, honesty, transparency, and getting the job done and you end up in extremely effective teams that thrive on honest feedback and doing the best they can do.

Cons

I would say the two biggest downsides of Rackspace are:

1) The upsides are shrinking. As the company has grown the beautiful and unique culture that makes Rackspace so great has diminished considerably. This is largely due to poor hiring choices in leadership which has been extremely impactful in a negative way on the company even after some of these poor choices are dealt with my letting those leaders go.

In some particular groups leaders that were fired over 3 years ago still have a lasting negative impact on how things are done because new leaders brought into to replace them did not effectively identify the things which their predecessor did wrong and fix all of them. In many ways this is a failure of middle management that's caused because of the tendency for new leaders to bring in a cadre of cronies that follow them from whatever corporate husk they left, and if the leader gets fired, the cronies stay making it that much more difficult for a new leader to effectively resolve the things that didn't work.

2) The general level of compensation is well below market rate for a technology firm. It's pretty much always been this way, but most Rackers were okay with this in return for getting to be involved in such a wonderful culture and company and getting relatively unrestricted access to company resources to engage their minds on whatever it was at the moment they wanted to learn about. As the company has grown though the culture has dwindled and with it more restrictive policies have been created which prevent employees from being fully mentally engaged in the curiosities that drive them. It's led to a situation where many of the bright talented people I interact with come to work every day not sure exactly what they should even be doing because they don't solve problems by mandate, they solve problems by discovery.

A company where it was once acceptable to have beer during meetings as long as you weren't drunk at you desk and where every employee had significant access to technology resources to try new things just to see if they'll work is what lead to the creation of many of the innovative technical concepts and methods of achieving them that exist today. Instead we've replaced that with company policies that won't even let me stream a documentary from Netflix on a separate monitor while I'm pulling an overnight shift in operations effectively monitoring systems which are highly automated in case an immediate response is necessary.

This lack of compensation and this failure of culture has lead to a massive brain drain as the vast majority of long-time old school Rackers are bailing on the company. Anyone who is a strong technical talent is in high demand in the market, especially the likes of those who helped drive the beginnings of Cloud computing. Failure to compensate these people properly while demanding that they comply to asinine policies is a guaranteed way to lose them and with it lose the company's ability to execute effectively.

Take the red pill and wake up to reality. Middle management is lying to you constantly and you believe it, and you're being dragged into so many meetings you no longer have time to effectively talk to people on the floor to understand what's really going on. You need to fix this and the only way to do that is go back to our core values and our basics, which is communicate honestly and talk to the folks on the floor as your peers.

If you take action at all, do the following, do it soon, and do it right:

1) Fix the compensation issue. Yes, it'll increase payroll expense which will result in a net increase in opex. But, it can be offset by the other thing you should be doing.

2) Clean house. And when I say this, I'm not talking about the guys on the floor, I'm talking about the bloat of middle management and sort-of upper management (Director and below) that's lead to constantly reducing productivity and our general too many chiefs not enough indians problem. Some things /need/ management, a lot of things need less management, and sometimes things just need the right management. At the end of the day though, management, middle management especially, is what's killing this company. Not the techs on the floor, and not even necessarily the people near the top.

It's a great company with great promise and passion.

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

Cons

Constant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Don't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

Fun, high growth and fast paced enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, ability to telecommute, great sense of company pride and fun culture

Cons

Long hours, ability to telecommute means you're always working