Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Enterprise BDC

BDC (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsFun place to work with a lot of great people. You can wear what you want and they have food vendors on sight so you don't have to leave work to grab lunch. They also have a gym on site with boot camps and other things available that you can do during lunch. These are things that make a strong culture and they try to make sure you are comfortable.

ConsCompany has lost sight of what they are in business for and have positioned themselves to compete with Amazon on a commodity product. This is a dangerous place since the majority of revenue comes from services and dedicated hosting. The push is to great to be in the cloud.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your lower management, I think this is overlooked and mid and lower management is filled with warm bodies not necessarily someone who has been trained to be in position.

Lack of direction

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat people! Servant hearts.

ConsNo consistent direction, strategy and messaging changes every 6 weeks. Clash between legacy Rackers and new talent they are bringing in. New leaders over-simplify the problems and spend a lot of time on obvious problems that can't be fixed with existing budget and talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementSettle down and make a plan.

A company

Linux Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsMany rackers are great people to be around and i've learned a lot from the people i've interacted with.

ConsRackspace is a company that has gone from great to just barely average in a short span of six months. While the company is resilient, it has lost its relevance and has not taken the necessary steps to change course. It is rapidly losing its culture and outsiders who have been put in control are acting with reckless abandon in a way that threatens to put the company in a death spiral. There is frequently a new flavor of the month, which now focuses on DevOps and ObjectRocket. Unqualified, ineffective, and toxic leaders are often put in charge of these new flavors of the month. Some of these teams are even rewarded with swanky offices, while others have to work in the ghetto. Ironically, those left in the ghetto are responsible for most of the revenue. It’s disappointing, unnerving, and shows a lack of authentic leadership and value of Rackspace culture. Senior talent is leaving at an alarming rate and "leadership" believes that ignoring the problems will make them go away.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake changes before it's too late.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heading Down A Bad Path

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsFellow Rackers. For the most part, I've gotten along quite nicely with coworkers and they treat each other pretty well.
    Benefits are relatively good. 401k match. San Antonio's HQ is sprawling but has some good comforts like food trucks, massage chairs, etc..
    Lots of other opportunities within the company.

ConsManagement. Not sure where to even start.

- Senior Management is addicted to reorganization. Any given organization in the company will be reorganized in 2 years or less, meaning that there are typically multiple simultaneous reorganizations happening at once. No real explanation of why its happening, and they never result in improved efficiency. Of course, during the constant reorganizations, confusion abounds for all other teams in the organization.

- For years, Rackers have complained about products getting rolled out without prior training for the support floor. While espousing "Rackers" are the product, those very Rackers that are to be marketed as well-trained specialists are in fact poorly trained, and have to compete with their peers for access to training that is offered. While Rackspace has exploded in size, the quantity of useful training has stayed level, or has even been reduced. Product teams have little to no contact with the Support floor which is tasked with assisting customers with those very products. I've been told to "just figure it out".

- Mid-level management is massive. As others have pointed out, for every 2-3 non-manager Rackers, there is 1 manager. This level of management does not seem to be empowered to cause change or improvements. They do, however act as a buffer so that upper-management does not have to deal with the outcomes of their poor decisions that support-rackers deal with on a daily basis.

- As if out of a scene from Office Space, manager changes for some teams occur almost monthly with no expectation that any will stick around, making it confusing who to even report to. Each time, a new direction, a new style of management, new requirements, new demands passed through from upper management, and no one in upper management thinks that is a problem. Worse yet, it seems that some managers for front-line support are straight from business school and have little technical understanding of what their subordinates are tasked with doing. "I have faith you'll figure it out" is not a management technique. It's neglect.

- Ironically, while management remains 100% staffed in the company, and is allowed to move around quite freely, the support rackers who *ARE* the "Managed" Support that customers interact with daily (the "product" that we're actually selling), are woefully understaffed and underpaid. Employee churn has rapidly increased. As the support ranks get depleted, upper-management has refused to hire replacements for fear of harming quarterly results. Experienced employees are heading to greener pastures with proper leadership and support. While managers move between teams fluidly, non-management rackers must wait 6+ months to move to a new team. So while there are opportunities to move, good luck making it happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blaming plummeting Racker morale on the stock price.
    Stop blaming mid-level managers for not meeting expectations even though you prevent them from hiring new staff to backfill churned employees.
    Stop blaming Rackers for not buying in to the latest-and-greatest 6-month plan when you yourselves have no confidence in executing it.
    Stop selling products that the support floor hasn't ever been trained to assist customers with (or better yet, get the product teams to work WITH support for once).

It has been a unique experience.

ProsFun place to work. Flexible.

ConsAs the company grows it loses its culture,family feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget what you did to get here and the people that helped you on the way...

Awesome place to grow your career-Culture is a plus

Marketing Strategy Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture is what keeps me here-it's one of a kind
    The people and friendships I have made here are lifelong
    The perks you get for being an employee such as the gym, free food (there's food all the time, get ready to add some pounds!)
    It's easy to change careers and learn new things!

ConsSo many changes... You need to get used to changes, if you need stability in terms of a manager, or job duties, this company is not for you.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo top down heavy-hire the right people and promote those that have the skills. Invest more in the people, development and training is extremely important.

Great place to learn and grow, top notch training programs, exceptional benefits, but only average in salary offering.

Linux Systems Administrator II (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsI have almost exclusively glowing praise for working at Rackspace.
    Training - There's a "Rackspace University" training program which will help to get you certified in a variety of IT certifications. All certifications are reimbursed. Training materials are also reimbursed. I obtained a RHCE, CCNA and Security+. Management lets you pursue what training you desire to take.
    Benefits - Humana, flex card, HSA, dental, vision, a rather generous 6% matched 1-to-1 401k plan, stock purchase, free physical therapy on site if at Texas locations. Quarterly profit sharing bonus.
    Real management - There's a lot less management BS, Rackspace's hiring process tends to pick top-notch people and there's less pointy haired bosses and a lot more constructive management. I felt engaged in what I was doing and motivated to do more. I've never worked at a company where I felt so actively involved and satisfied with my work.
    Name Recognition - Having worked for Rackspace is a bright shiny gold star on your resume.

ConsThe primary con was the salary offering, which is average at best. I would still be at Rackspace if I hadn't received an offer that Rackspace could not compete with. I wasn't even job hunting, they found me.
    The secondary con is based upon the primary con, there's enough attrition happening because of better salary offers elsewhere, it's difficult to maintain teams with high levels of training and sometimes I would be doing the workload of several employees.

Culture is great

ProsCulture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance. They're trying to build out the benefits package and it's getting better and better all the time.

ConsSalary isn't always competitive with similar positions at other employers. It can also be difficult to move to another business unit and easy to become pigeonholed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazing culture isn't always a great replacement for salaries

Unqualified, ineffective, and toxic leaders

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFellow Rackers on the front lines are good people, fun to be around, intelligent, and I enjoy working with them.

ConsUnqualified, ineffective, and toxic leaders. Leaders and managers are allowed to get away with treating their Rackers however they want to and even with proven documentation, HR turns a blind eye.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove toxic leaders, read the pulse surveys and take action.

Great People, Good Company

Account Manager II (Current Employee)

ProsYou are on the leading edge of the technology industry, along side some amazing people and products. Good work life balance. Company to grow as an individual through trial, error and training. Core value of Friends and Family, who else has that !?! Racker's work is always done with great intention at heart to continually serve our customers as best we can.

ConsMight have to be willing to move to advance your career. Lots of products, lots of non standard processes. We should be better at some of the stuff we do by now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it simple and back to basics.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!