Raven Industries

Raven Industries President and CEO Daniel A. Rykhus
Daniel A. Rykhus

One of Sioux Fall's best

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Top notch organization. The benefits that are offered are very competitive within the Sioux Falls market and in most cases less expensive than a majority of SF employers. Competitive in terms of salary. Generous in terms of policies and procedures. Exciting in terms of the products we produce. Relaxed and extremely open, friendly environment. I love it!!

Cons

I believe the Leaders at Raven have the best intentions but have a difficult time executing. Raven is not the "technology" company they claim to be but I believe they are trying to move in that direction. Raven may be notorious for "lay-offs" but in reality, it's temporary employees whose assignment has ended. The biggest draw back might be the cyclical nature of the business. But in reality isn't this true of many manufacturing companies, that to single Raven out would not be fair.

Dan and his team of leaders need to be one step ahead. Where are the creative minds that will take Raven to the next level. Stop waiting....take a leap of faith.....become the industry leader that you claim us to be.

Micromanagement Causes Great Challenges

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven makes great products with a great purpose and we are headquartered in a great community. These products are made in diversified industries which in theory should help maintain stability for employees across the organization.

Cons

Executive management is VERY short sighted and completely reactive. Leaders should be looking out farther than the next quarterly report. This desire to "hit the number" has most employees at EVERY level looking over their shoulder instead of focusing on producing. During tough times, I would expect a company with a good balance sheet showing no debt and plenty of cash to focus on their products, customers, and employees instead of how many people to fire to help the earnings report in the next quarter.

Stop micromanaging the short term chaos, manage the long term opportunities. Invest in growth opportunities now that will pay dividends when the market returns, its that old saying "buy low and sell high". You have an excellent rainy day fund, now is the time to invest in the companies future, not erode your teams confidence.
    If you need to reduce costs, be open and up front with your employees. Offer early retirement, attractive severance packages to those willing to accept them. After this, then you cut only were necessary for a 2-3 year outlook, not 3-6 months. What you have done with multiple layoffs in 2014 at all levels throughout the company has destroyed morale and productivity. I fear it is a matter of time until the culture of this great company is destroyed by infighting as everyone tries to save their job at the expense of the greater company good.

Better than unemployment?

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Great place to coast out till retirement. Casual, easy, never really felt challenged. Some good travel opportunities. Products are. ..interesting. some nice coworkers.

Cons

This is a company not solving great challenges. CEO and chain of managment downward are superficial to their employees. Strategy seems severely flawed particularly for the company RAVEN is (Take a look at last year's stock performance). Leadership focused on profits while laying people off during the holidays. IMHO , doesn't have technical capabilities to go places.

Getting too political NOT the Company that it used to be

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for the area.

Cons

Company does not reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions.
    People close to executives, or relatives/church buddies are given raises and are promoted quickly even if not qualified.
    New management does not follow what it preaches. Can't make decisions on product direction.
    Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products. New products are released before they are ready for market.

Disappointed

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers and friendships made, company willing to spend money, ability to get training and equipment, great place to get experience and move on

Cons

Company doesnt reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions, management rhetoric not followed by themselves

If you want growth or anything other than a paycheck, stay away

Former Employee - Line Worker in Earth City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Earth City, MO (US)

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

"Steady pay". A place to help you pay some of your bills if you're in need a pay check, in which we all are.

Cons

Notorious for lay offs. No room for growth. The security of your job is determined by management's ability to secure contracts in an era of business where people are outsourcing their work over seas.

I'm honestly not sure if this company needs the departments that they currently have "management" in. There are two and three person departments that can be consolidated under one manager, but they will ignore that and will lay off an entire shift of individuals on the manufacturing floor instead.

Great company

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

The people of the company are the best. They make you want to work harder.

Cons

not many cons at all, maybe just to update some facilities

none

A Company Solving Great Challenges

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

I work for a company that solves great challenges in areas of feeding the world, saving lives, and protecting the environment. That's a purpose I can get behind! We also have a Young Professionals Network to network, volunteer, and expand our skills.

Cons

The fast pace can become overwhelming. Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products instead of technology innovations that we're currently producing.

Hire additional people to even the work load. We have a great story to tell and need to get it out more to attract great talent.

too political

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits some new management trying
     to make things better

Cons

knowing how to do your job, doing a great job and always being on your job including overtime means nothing with this company, just depends on who's pocket you are in, company will do well until they get competition then all the waste will drive them down will not be able to compete

Need to do something about lower management they do not know the job that their operators are supposed to be doing expect techs to take care of everything including training

The job is easy but most co workers are hard to get along with in EFD.

Current Employee - Operator I in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Operator I in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is great and the benefits are pretty decent the work is pretty easy.

Cons

Political atmosphere
    Long time employees are hostile to new employees for fear of being surpassed

New employees do not feel that what they have to say or suggest is heard. The company could save literally a few million dollars if they got took new ideas seriously and worked hard to determine if they are good options.