Raytheon

3.3 1,259 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

1,259 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The company allows for a relatively flexible work schedule, and has great work/life balance"
    in 155 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, 9/80 Schedule (Every other Friday off)"
    in 121 reviews
Cons:
  • "In my experience didn't value work/ life balance"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing"
    in 36 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Pay, Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon as a contractor

ProsGood pay
Working with many smart, talented people
Good location
Library

ConsIsolating for me as a contractor

Great company with solid management

Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

ProsRaytheon is a great company to work for. The management and HR that I work with are top notch and they have a very competitive compensation package.

ConsAs with any larger company, monthly training requirements can get tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

A great place to work.

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
McKinney, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery employee-focused company. Numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. Had the chance to work with very talented people.

ConsEmployee head-count is at the mercy of federal defense spending. I wish more opportunities were available so that I could rejoin the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employee morale at top-of-mind. I'm sure job security is a major issue given all of the lay-offs and division collapses that have occurred over the past few years.

Just a job, body shop

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, and perks. 401k match from the start! Put your 40 hours in and you get 3% yearly bump

ConsYou are only good for that current effort you are working. Slim chance you be able to find another Raytheon effort after your current contract expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your current employees!

Great People...Corporate doesn't always see that

Senior Systems Engineer II (E04) (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging Problems, Steady, Good Contracts, Growth

ConsSome programs are very top heavy, You have to change programs to move up...some engineers have good breadth of experience, but it is rarely noticed

Layoffs...fact of life in defence right now

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond those metrics in your rankings...definitely look beyong the performance reviews. There are some engineers and scientists that perform well outside of the pigeon holes.

Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Fullerton, CA (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat pay, location & atmosphere. Very flexible with schedule & work life balance. Supports telecommuting among employees. Many career opportunities within various disciplines.

ConsLayoff risks depending on defense contracts & gov't budgets

Great Company

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

ProsExcelent benifits, great opertunites to move around within the company

ConsWorking on a government contract does have its downsides, such as if the govenment goes with another contractor then you are pretty much SoL as far sustaining employement.

great

I worked at Raytheon

Prosit was a great experience working there. great people. all hard working. there was a great family atmosphere there.

Consworking for a govt agency just wasnt for me. the work was good but we were selling the same things to the same people for over 17 yrs.

Stable company, great benefits, work comes in spurts

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI need to echo what others wrote about the noble mission of Raytheon. You really do have a sense of pride providing systems that will help America's military. Raytheon prides itself on building quality products - sometimes it accomplishes that goal, sometimes it misses the mark a bit. But the quality of the engineers is top notch. Benefits are great, company is solid, work is interesting, technology is cool. Not always "bleeding edge" because it takes time to build something for the government, but cool nonetheless.

ConsWork comes in spurts. Either is it SUPER busy and oh-my-gosh-we-have-to-bust-our-necks-and-get-this-work-done-yesterday! Or you can be literally sitting around waiting for something to do, wondering if there is going to be a layoff or furlough. It's the nature of Raytheon's contract work. What is most frustrating is that you could have work to do and the time to do it, but you can't work on it until the contract starts, but by then you are in crunch time. Also, front line management are treated like dogs. I would never choose to be a section manager, even if there was something available, which there usually isn't because you have to wait for someone to retire or die before something opens up. Beside the managers fight all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the turf wars and collaborate, already. Treat lower level management like people, not cattle. Promote a culture that is attractive to young workers building a career.

Great opportunity for learning

I worked at Raytheon for more than 5 years

ProsWorld-class group of coworkers and leaders. Company values are clear and carried throughout the organization.

ConsFast-paced, competitive environment, which may not be suitable for everyone.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 1,259 reviews are posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.