Raytheon Reviews

3.4
1,442 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor culture for outgoing individuals, excellent opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers tend to have tons of experience and know how with their work. I am very young (started here right out of my undergraduate degree) and have generally felt I've been surrounded by very intelligent people. The people you're surrounded with are generally very helpful, when they choose to be, and are good individuals. It's been heavily emphasized from the get-go that I need to get an advanced degree to move up. If you get plugged in with the right group of people, i can easily see this place being a wonderful place to work. The atmosphere is pretty cut throat, and is inspiring if you have the drive to succeed. If you have a lot of independent drive, you will build a network that will help you reach success. You need to be willing to put yourself out there (and risk falling flat on your face) to grow, which is challenging but is good. Need to consistently seek out opportunities. I generally feel in control of what I get to work on. Taking time off work is almost NEVER a problem as long as you flex your hours, use PTO, and complete work on time - a flexible schedule is absolutely wonderful, not to mention every other Friday off! Benefits are great too.

Cons

The people are generally nice and helpful, but most of all keep to themselves with their work and socially. Relationships at work aren't ever really built up and business is the primary driver (which can be good and bad, but I think a little more balance would be good). The culture is what would be expected at any engineering company - a lot of the people are very very reserved when engaging at meetings or communicating with each other which makes understanding what to do very difficult. Unless directed so by someone higher than them, more often than not people would come off as reluctant to help. Middle management is pretty awful at guiding new hires in their jobs, they just expect you to sink or swim. There is a massive gap in knowledge between new hires and most of the existing employees, with a culture that seemingly suppresses any attempt to eliminate this great divide. Also, the structure for performance reviews is awful and is set up to fail unless you devote a significant amount of time 'bragging' to your superior about your accomplishments; you'd think such a large, successful corporation would have a more defined performance evaluation cycle in place that would lead people to success. Often times I can see people getting in a rut if they don't actively communicate work to their functional supervisors, and easily getting complacent with what they do. The program I am on is rife with politics which aggravates the hell out of me, but I've heard it's not as bad as other companies.

There NEEDS to be a culture change in sharing knowledge. The divide that exists in knowledge between the head sheds to lower engineers is palpable and is established - hardly any individuals are taking it up as their duty to change this. Middle managers need to spend more time helping those below them as well as performance evaluations need to be more thorough - there needs to be a defined criteria of characteristics individuals shall meet that define the different levels of engineers. Currently, the evaluation system in place is exploited by nepotism, and unless you have a good supervisor, you won't get fairly recognized.

Great Place

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Steady place, interesting work and fun

Cons

Small yearly raises, hard to get promoted

Great company to work for with flexible hours, but care way too much about their metrics.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II  in  Fullerton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible hours, 9/80 work weeks, Never gave trouble with taking vacation days, facilities are well taken care of, decent Job security -- they'll find new work for you or move you around when projects end others begin. If you know what you are doing, you'll be protected pretty well. Great benefits (health, dental, vision). Some projects have coffee and snacks. Friendly people, overall a great company to work for, all things considered. Would recommend working for this company.

Cons

Typical government contractor -- they care a way too much about metrics (lines of code, defect counts, etc) to the point where it actually slows down developers. Some people are really set in their ways, and some projects are extremely fearful of change and using new products/tools. When they do lay off, they tend to lay off developers before managers, so some projects end up being top heavy with more managers than developers sometimes. Managers give the impression that they care more about schedule than quality, or following industry best practices. Compensation seems low compared to commercial sector.

Should try harder to shield developers from doing zero-value-added tasks like estimating and measuring lines of code, or doing other metrics, when someone non-technical could be doing it. Especially when managers are constantly trying to push their developers on schedule.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family Focused

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of those places where you are treated like more than just an employee. The company model has incorporated an understanding that there is more to their employees than their job title. It's very family focused, which helps with the work/life balance a lot, and you can make some great long term friends here as well.

Cons

The cons with making friends in the work place is that it takes a horrific event for this place to let go of people or even have accountability for the expectations of their "friend" employees. For that reason, there is a LOT of dead weight and slackers who have very cushy positions, offices, and roles where not much is required of them, yet they're getting seriously paid, and they're untouchable it seems. Too much of that can be demoralizing for newbies and cause the company to lose a lot of new talent.

Carry your weight and hold your team responsible for carrying theirs. If you want a cushy six figure job, at least stay under the radar by not making someone else's job hard by offloading your work or being a road block.

I have really enjoyed working a Raytheon in Garland Texas.

Former Employee - Senior Sys Integration Technologist II  in  Garland, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Sys Integration Technologist II in Garland, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In the past I was able to do multiple jobs: hardware development, system testing, software development, and Systems engineering.

Cons

The projects are paid for using government funding which sometimes comes and goes.

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great time off policies, holidays, and perks.

Cons

Personal growth and getting promotions.

Ancient values of managing.

Very good company for which to work.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist  in  McKinney, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in McKinney, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work assignments with flexible hours if needed. The benefits package is well above average as is the salary. Loved my job while there and would go back if conditions allow.

Cons

Working for a defense contractor can be very up and down. Projects can be cancelled leaving one to searching for more internal work. There are too many managers at this company and they are overly protected during the down times leaving the actual workers high and dry.

Remember that the workers are the backbone of this company. I went far and above my work assignments to complete everyone of them on time without so much as a pat on the back. A little of this goes a long ways!

Excellent technical community at large defense contractor

Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with some of the finest technical minds in the country, addressing problems that really matter to armed forces.

Cons

Long procurement cycles mean technology is out-of-date compared to civilian world. Some merit promotions are delayed until young employee has "paid his dues."

The lack of on-the-job training budget is a short-term philosophy that will lead to brain drain as the Cold-War era engineers retire without socializing their knowledge.

Management needs improving.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Garland, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is good and the health coverage is average. The time off is the best thing. Start out with 2 weeks off plus the week of Christmas and New Years of and after every 5 one more week is added.

Cons

To much politics and political games amongst management.

Brief time there

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Great place to work with great people. Theres lots of opportunity to grow and had a lot to offer.

Cons

Getting laid off is really the only negative I have about the company.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!