Raytheon

3.3 1,264 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

1,264 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The company allows for a relatively flexible work schedule, and has great work/life balance"
    in 155 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, 9/80 Schedule (Every other Friday off)"
    in 121 reviews
Cons:
  • "In my experience didn't value work/ life balance"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing"
    in 36 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Supportive of their employees

C# Developer (Current Employee)
El Paso, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for less than a year

ProsThey took care of my needs.

ConsI worked there on a Contract to hire basis and even though I did a good job for them for many months they pulled the plug on me after just 9 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being more long term committed to your employees

A great place to work.

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
McKinney, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery employee-focused company. Numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. Had the chance to work with very talented people.

ConsEmployee head-count is at the mercy of federal defense spending. I wish more opportunities were available so that I could rejoin the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employee morale at top-of-mind. I'm sure job security is a major issue given all of the lay-offs and division collapses that have occurred over the past few years.

Lots of opportunities, but lost in the Corporate schema

Facilities Project Manager (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Company has very good policies for education, professional qualifications, diversity, ethics, and world-class benefits. Raytheon is an innovative company that is always in the news for being at the for-front of technologies, working initiatives (such as VPP and Workplace Strategies), and is in almost every Top 100 list in the country. It is very easy to feel pride as an employee.

ConsAs the employee becomes more settled into the position, opportunities usually arise to allow him/her to work outside of the original parameters. This, initially seems like a good thing, but the Company is so large that eventually, the employee has changed job titles several times and (after a few years) can find themselves at a disadvantage if they leave the Company. The employee can be considered unmarketable as they are now trying to transition to a new company with a resume for work that they no longer have qualifications for. Usually, this puts their career back several years as they may need to start over again and reprove themselves with a new employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause the Company is large, it is too easy to get caught up in personal agendas. Although it is always important to further one's career, Management needs to remember that they are being paid to manage their department and concentrate on day-to-day occurrences happening under their charge. Too often, the Manager is too busy polishing his/her resume and only hears about all the bad stuff when the individual employee needs help, but never notices any of the good stuff that the team is accomplishing.

Good Pay, Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon as a contractor

ProsGood pay
Working with many smart, talented people
Good location
Library

ConsIsolating for me as a contractor

Great company with solid management

Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

ProsRaytheon is a great company to work for. The management and HR that I work with are top notch and they have a very competitive compensation package.

ConsAs with any larger company, monthly training requirements can get tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Cutting Edge Jobs

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee)
El Segundo, CA (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLow stress and flexible working schedules

Conspoor management in the higher ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the worker bees do their jobs and not worry about counting numbers, ie stats,

Just a job, body shop

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, and perks. 401k match from the start! Put your 40 hours in and you get 3% yearly bump

ConsYou are only good for that current effort you are working. Slim chance you be able to find another Raytheon effort after your current contract expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your current employees!

Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Fullerton, CA (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat pay, location & atmosphere. Very flexible with schedule & work life balance. Supports telecommuting among employees. Many career opportunities within various disciplines.

ConsLayoff risks depending on defense contracts & gov't budgets

Great People...Corporate doesn't always see that

Senior Systems Engineer II (E04) (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging Problems, Steady, Good Contracts, Growth

ConsSome programs are very top heavy, You have to change programs to move up...some engineers have good breadth of experience, but it is rarely noticed

Layoffs...fact of life in defence right now

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond those metrics in your rankings...definitely look beyong the performance reviews. There are some engineers and scientists that perform well outside of the pigeon holes.

Great Company

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

ProsExcelent benifits, great opertunites to move around within the company

ConsWorking on a government contract does have its downsides, such as if the govenment goes with another contractor then you are pretty much SoL as far sustaining employement.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 1,264 reviews are posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.