Raytheon

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.3 1,380 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,380 Employee Reviews

Sr. Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer I (Former Employee) Garland, TX (US)

ProsGood people, really care about the customer not the typical blood sucking defense contractor, decent process, great technology,awesome work-life balance policies,

Consbonus are subpar compared with similar companies, compensation is not great, promotions are slow in the intermediate grades E3+

Promotion from E3 to E4 will take years because they are mostly based on seniority rather than skills
    The E4 grade is the most an average engineer can aspire for.
    E5+ are really sharp engineers but getting past the E4 slow process will discourage most talented engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote best and brightness within a reasonable time frame before they leave. Reduce overhead so you can afford competitive engineering salaries...

Good People, bit corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)

ProsGood pay and good people, while it's a bit massachusetts centered it's not a bad place to work, as the work was reasonably straightforward.

ConsIt's very 'corporate' and this doesn't suit everyone. they like their memos and boxes ticked. Some of what you do there gets very repetitive, but tell me a job that doesn't!

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax a little! Worshipping at the temple of the almighty Memo is a bit 1980s and the obsession with Six Sigma was a bit overkill.

I learned a lot there and It was a good place to start me career.

Systems Engineer II (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

Prosgreat coworkers, compensation was competitive, managers always had time for me when I needed it.

Conslocation, wasn’t a lot of opportunities for advancement, I am not a fan of the culture of government contractors

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it would be good if you discussed with younger employees what their 5 year goal would be and talk to them about how they might achieve that in the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So much better than my time at ngc

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA (US)

ProsDecent benefits.
    Friendly coworkers.
    Relevant programming languages, java, c sharp
    Upper management is friendly and approachable
    Profit sharing, woot!

ConsR6sigma is excessive
    Business casual = bleh
    Super structured raises
    Female engineer friendly, I have not had much issue or hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract younger engineers encourage a more casual environment. Nobody enjoys wearing button ups and slacks.

Great company to work for!

Project Manager II (Former Employee) Waltham, MA (US)

ProsI massively enjoyed my time at Raytheon. Another opportunity outside defense took me away, but I would consider going back as it is a great work environment with a lot of upward potential.

ConsI honestly can't think of anything negative to say. Large organizations move a bit more slowly than smaller companies, however that is to be expected.

Good company with many very hard working people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlextime, good salary and benefits, very nice people to work with. Very interesting work

ConsManagement is continually badgered by the customer to do more with less. Also management gets saddled with much government mandated accounting gimmicks like Six Sigma, which is not appropriate for much of the mission involving research and development.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does the best they can in spite of the pressures by the customer. No advice.

Good, bad, and Stressful

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, MA (US)

ProsGreat place to work. Very resourceful and lots of opportunities to move and rotate around to try new experiences. Very flexible work hours and paid overtime for salary employees.

ConsWorking with the union slows down the progress of getting things done in a timely manner. Government contracts may mean your working a lot of hours and really busy or very slow and worrying if you will be laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your people. Take care of those who take care of you. Low raises over a large period of time while knowing your underpaid does not help morale at the individual contributor level. Compensation and benefits are slowly declining (Medical is more costly, Achievement awards are less, etc).

Larger company and therefore easy to get lost if not in a top level position.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits for direct employees, even if only working twenty hours a week. Compensation and paid time-off were excellent for Tucson.

ConsLarger company and therefore easy to get lost if not in a top level position.

I learned a lot as an intern, but wait there's more...

Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) El Paso, TX (US)

Pros-Great learning experience on military, gets your testosterone levels up.
    -fexible schedule
    -opportunities across the world
    -Not strict on time

Cons-Sloooooooow to finish things
    -too much management
    -Old people
    - Mostly men

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more bold and more of a risk taker.

Great Research and Development Organization

Senior Systems Engineer I (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsRaytheon keeps values and goals at the forefront of its company behavior. The organization is also supportive of employees seeking to be innovative, celebrating them at senior leadership levels. Organizational channels are effective (HR, Management).

ConsWhile Raytheon values its people, your ability to work with organizations outside of your own (i.e. engineering to operations, etc.) may be hampered by the levels of bureaucracy that exist in the organization. Any company of Raytheon's size will have facets, just something to keep in mind. They can be overcome, but it takes some skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a consistent advocate for your employees, and inform us of areas in which it's difficult for you to go to bat for us so we can improve them. Employees understand how critical having a supportive manager is, and it's defining for our motivation.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!