RealPage

RealPage Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn

Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Great people, good location, people are treated right(in 12 reviews)

• Great co-workers & flexible work environment - My department is very fun, and has a lot of opportunity for the products to grow(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information(in 9 reviews)

Good

Sales (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsLots of opportunity to make commission and good money. Lots of leaders that have sales experience that can help you with your issues. Working for a big company so there are lots of customer references.

ConsThe acquisitions are constant and sometimes it is hard to keep up. The company might be a little more concerned with Wall Street than the actual customers sometimes. Some of the sales goals are a little unrealistic.

2 years of my life that I will never get back

Account Manager- Screening (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsNo one knows you're there, so it doesn't matter if you leave early or come in late

Cons"Comp plans"-- you'll never see that money. And if you do, it won't be paid on time. And if it is, they might even take it back. Payroll department doesn't get anything right. They do not pay out PTO upon leaving (even on great terms). E-mails from company representatives regarding pay "don't count". I would encourage anyone who joins this group to not sign the Terms and Conditions. Again, no one will know or care that you work there, so they wont notice a document with a missing signature.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you know what the other departments are conveying to your staff, because it's all different.

If you never want to get a promotion this company is for you!

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsIf you are someone that likes sliding under the radar, doing minimal work, not having any work satisfaction, and not getting acknowledged -- this place is for you!

ConsThe pay is terrible. Only take this job is you have nothing else lined up as a sign of desperation. I worked on the Account Management team and the management was terrible. But the employees at the bottom of the totem pole are great. Account Managers are treated like crap -- even though we save the accounts the sales people have over promised great things to, and RealPage can't deliver.

This is absolutely one of those companies where the higher up you are, the less work you do. If you are in San Francisco you need to make buddies with some higher ups in Texas or else your chances of getting a promotion are slim to none. Part of working in San Francisco and in the tech space is expecting a stocked kitchen and snacks -- it's just part of the culture. The company took it away from the SF office because it is not part of the culture in Texas.

When I left the company, my manager told me she was sad for me "professionally". Talk about poor management when a manager is sad for you that you are leaving for a better position and much higher pay. It is truly a sign that management does not want you to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of middle management. They do not do anything except sit on conference calls that will be repeated to the employees the next day and send out emails. I can vouch that my manager had no idea what anyone on her team did or how any of the systems functioned.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Property Management Company pretending to be a software company

Product Development (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsNone really. Any good reviews here, I'm sure are put there by RealPage HR. I have not met a lot of very happy employees at this company. My advise, if you get a job offer politely turn it down and look for another company.

Cons1. Senior management is full of property management folks who have no clue about software development.
    2. Very high turnover rate. The only employees who remain at this place are people who can't find a job elsewhere.
    3. Management is more concerned with Wall Street than product or customers. The CEO dumps a good portion of his shares into the market every year, so he is only concerned about maintaining the stock price.
    4. There is a re-org every three months. I reported to 7 managers in 2 years. Promotion based on favoritism and not merit. Incompetent people are promoted, while hard working employees are looked over.
    5. HR is a big joke and totally pro management. Don't look to them for help. Benefits and PTO are severely lacking.
    6. Company does not have any organic growth, bottom-line is declining. The growth numbers shown by the company are only maintained due to acquisitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing in your employees and stop changing direction every three months. Start focusing more on product than revenue\stock price. The rest will follow.

Terrible compensation plan for sales people

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsNice people for the most part

ConsCrowded work environment, bad comp plan, too much favoritism

Lots of change

Project Manager (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsDecent pay, great coworkers, and work/life balance is good. Although they should be more open to employees working from home. Very successful brand.

ConsLots of change/Reorgs, stagnant software design, different products are too silo-ed/not enough communication within sales, implementation and developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more energetic and open to suggestions. Hire a designer to modernize your OneSite platform. Better reporting for clients.

BE AWARE - look at the stock price!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot sure what to say here...

ConsThere is zero work-life balance, training, time-off is frowned on. Executive and Senior Leadership needs a serious adjustment if this company is going to go anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings because nothing is streamlined with checks and balances. Anything and everything is open to one person's perception. Pay is terrible and is not competitive - this is not a career destination, only a stepping stone to your actual career.

Advice to Senior ManagementCHANGE FOR GOOD!!

No room for career improvements.

Developer (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsI'm working at their Philippines office.

1. Flexible work hours.
    2. Decent salary
    3. People are friendly, well it's Philippines anyways.

Cons1. They won't allow additional benefits because it's not in the law and Texas office won't allow it.

2. Promotion is very slow. And if there is promotion the right people don't get it.

3. You do not have a clear job description. You will do QA tasks and BA tasks.

4. Tasks coming from Texas are inhumane. They wanted tasks to be done in two days when it is usually done in two months!

5. They are implementing agile, and I don't think they are implementing it right.

6. Product owners don't know how to say no to clients.

7. Did I say that annual performance evaluation is biased?

There's more!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Wake up!

Various (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsWhen I joined RealPage, there were opportunities for growth, there was an aggressiveness to competing in the market place, and there was the ability to innovate and make a difference. There are still groups within RealPage that are that way, but they seem to be a dying breed.

ConsRealPage has moved most of its development to India or the Philippines. They don't really innovate much anymore - they are mostly in maintenance mode. I've heard they are now an Agile shop and certainly engineering in the US has been significantly reorganized, but those I've talked to who still work there say it is window dressing, and nothing has really changed. Often, the people who are really good do not get promoted - they get sidelined. I guess it depends on the division/product.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompete! You may be big and public, but you are capable of falling. Hire some User Experience experts and aggressively synthesize your UI's - you have so many products but no continuity. Hire some BI experts and actually deliver a product already. Hire front-end experts and finally support all modern browsers. IE8 is not a modern browser. You were once a great company - start acting like one again or risk losing your largest clients. You're a lot worse off than you think...

Job depends on your manager and group

Manager (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX (US)

ProsLaid back atmosphere.
    Nice workspace.
    Decent work/life balance but it all depends on your manager and group. There are some really terrible managers that play favorites, politic constantly, talk behind everyone's backs and only worry about making themselves look good. They rule by fear.
    There are some managers that really care about the employees and growing them professionally. They lead by example and want you to have a life outside of work. The groups/departments are drastically different.
    If you are lucky enough to land in a good group with a quality manager that wants you to succeed, hang on! They do exist.

ConsDecent pay if you're coming off the street. Transferring within the company, ridiculous. Promotions don't mean you can make what your peers are making for the same job or the offer you'd have if you were an outside candidate. It means an increase that has to be approved by 10 people and probably won't get you anywhere near where it should.
    The company has a lot of growth and you can almost do nothing and keep your job. That being said, new positions are only added in India and the Philippines but the tasks assigned to them is embarrassing. Most of my peers in India have 10 more years of education or experience or both but they are given the tasks that a high school student could accomplish. They should be utilized more or they'll be bored and leave.
    Management is so top heavy!! And they reorganize the groups every 30 days or so! I know people who don't even know who they report to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose surveys we take every year, read them.

Worked for RealPage? Contribute to the Community!