RealPage Reviews

Updated 23 April 2015
256 reviews filtered by

Not exactly One Realpage

Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are fantastic. I work out of the SF office and the culture is like family. We all want to chip in a help each other out.

Cons

Unfortunately, the main office located in Texas doesn't exactly follow the culture set here in the Bay Area. A lot of finger point when something goes wrong instead of the solution that is needed.

Advice to Management

Direct management is good, but beyond the layers of higher management is very disconnected from the actually people who do the work.

Get it together

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had potential to be a great company. Smart people to work with in its prime.

Cons

Horrible upper management and executive team. No vision for any future. Will completely implode from the inside out.

Advice to Management

Do a complete revamp of who is making decisions. The thought of moving your company from the most booming tech space (san francisco) to Texas is the dumbest move you could ever make. You are a tech company and you have lost all your good people due to the oversight of management moving to departments they have no idea about. Yes, I am a former employee and yes, I am disgruntled. Watching a product get completely wasted away by decisions of Texas in which they have no idea about is absolutely ridiculous. Having teams report to people with no background in the subject is just plain bad business. That is a recipe for failure. Marketing a product is not just trying to keep clients happy, but bettering the products and understanding how to create better opportunities. Stupid moves by closing the SF office and lying about it for many months. Good luck, I wouldn't purchase any marketing products or any products at all if I were a client. Check out the stock prices, no wonder it just keeps plummeting!

Not a stable company

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Met some great people here and the office is nice- too bad we are getting laid off and this nice office will go to waste

Cons

They recently closed their San Francisco, Chicago and Westlake Village offices and laid off staff with no recognition of time served or quality of work, so be prepared for possible future layoffs. Upper management shifts and changes direction constantly so it's difficult to have any enthusiasm or take any new processes/ideas seriously. Management plays favorites and you may be a great employee and a hard worker but you can be screwed over for promotions/raises. Company doesn't pay a competitive salary.

5. Great people, great company!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at RealPage

Pros

The work was not very exciting.

Cons

The people were very nice and I liked the culture.

Advice to Management

N/A

Company Should Change It's Name to "The Steve Winn Show"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RealPage is a great place to retire if you are past your prime and not able to keep up with the rapidly changing pace of technology. Unfortunately these are the types of men and women that Steve Winn has surrounded himself with. Every day is a new adventure. Who is meeting with Steve? How is getting reorganized? Who just threatened to quit and was given a Director title change? Oh the excitement of a 1995 software company!

Choose RealPage if you have never been able to cut it and want to have a steady paycheck. Apply at RealPage if you like the idea of having no consequences for shipping inferior quality products. Stay at RealPage if you thrive playing office politics and can tell the best lie to Steve Winn. Seriously if you are a great liar he will love you! Your ideas never pan out? That's fine it will take him 5 years to even think about firing you. In that time you will be able to accumulate at least a million dollars in equity.

Cons

Look at RealPage's stock price since the IPO. Seriously go check it out. It's never gone up! The company has been public 5 years and millions of investors around the world think it's done absolutely nothing to improve itself relative to the market. The numbers don't lie. If you would have invested 1,000,000 in the stock market in 2010 you would have more than 800,000 in profit today. If you invested that same in RealPage you would have gained nothing. It's kinda like working at RealPage, you gain nothing except the illusion you are employed at a growing company. The numbers don't lie.

Advice to Management

As long as Steve Winn is CEO, the stock will never go up. As long as the current board of directors is in place, Steve Winn will stay in control. Why? Because the board is friends with Steve and Steve won't fire anyone that makes him laugh. He keeps people around that he likes on a personal level who are woefully in over their head from a business perspective. When I was fired there were 180+ Vice Presidents and 300+ Directors out of 4,000 employees worldwide. Tell me another SaaS company that is that top heavy. That's a company that is afraid to hurt people's feelings. That's a company with a CEO who needs to step down and let somebody clean house.

Stagnant tech, no long term vision

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Great co workers. Everyone in my team from the designers, front end guys, backend and mobile, were all passionate about what they did and very skilled.

Benefits department and tech help desk were very responsive to questions and tickets. Very accommodating and quick to respond.

Cons

Upper management has zero idea how to move in the industry. Zero development on new products, and what new development that does happen is either on products that are absolutely terrible from inception, or make current products worse.

Actively fights new development. Very resistant to change and almost all of our products have code bases going on 10+ years. We still use Java Server Pages on one of our flagship products.

Aquires startups only to shut them down months later. Wastes money on acquisitions they don't do anything with, then has no money left over to internally develop anything.

Shut down all offices outside of Dallas with zero warning. We had to be out two weeks after the announcement. No severance!!!

Advice to Management

Trust your devs. You can't keep treading water and expect to survive. Way too much politiking between C level employees that actively sabatoge each other's initiatives.

Corruption is Festering

Former Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to restaurants that allow many lunchtime options for employees. Benefits are mediocre at best. Basically they look at similar industries and come up with an average cost/benefit for the employee but I thought it to be subpar during my tenure. Base salary offered is generally in line with market average for the Carrollton location.

Cons

Corruption in this company is rampant. Most executives at the SVP level and higher are cronies of the CEO and manage in whatever direction the wind is blowing in order to keep their job. I was at the VP level along with many others (similar to a bank, most people are VP’s) where majority of my peers would not hold the same job title in other companies, especially the Fortune 500. I found that job titles were only to placate egos but backed up by no real authority other than what you might expect to see at a “Manager” level with other employers.

HR is probably the worst excuse for a Human Capital entity within a company that I have ever experienced. Very shady leadership in this department and it all rolls downhill. Not very polished and somewhat condescending when attempting to correspond with in order to resolve internal operational issues that have arisen within my department. I recommend you avoid them wherever possible.

A 401k is offered but employer contribution is low and only deposited into your account once per-year with Board of Directors approval. As attrition is high, probability of an actual payout for a lot of employees will be low.

In lieu of your base salary, at the Director level and higher, they will tell you about a Management Incentive Plan (MIP) i.e. Bonus that will be paid out to you each year. I never received a bonus in the two years I worked for RealPage.

The United Way campaign parking space lottery is another farce. Parking in general is ridiculous. Very limited spaces but as long as the SVP’s and higher receive their front door space there will be no concern for anyone else. Hand over a lot of money and hope you receive something decent is how the game is played for everyone else and this way we can be listed as a top United Way donor company.

Come into the organization with a lot of bright ideas about enhancements with technology but since capital expenditure request are approved few and far between, don’t expect your dreams to come to fruition.
    Most intelligent people who join this organization at the management level and higher end up getting ran off after realizing they are not one of the cronies and therefore won’t completely “fit into the culture”. Nothing will change at this place until it is either bought out and/or the current CEO is forced out.

Advice to Management

I had 4 different bosses in the course of one year. They were either moved via reorganization or forced out of the company due to incompetence. With this type of attrition and the CEO calling all of the shots, I believe my giving advice to upper management would be futile.

One of the most poorly-run publicly traded corporations in the United States.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at RealPage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress in satellite offices, company pays for lunch often. Office parties and social events encouraged.

Cons

The use of the top-down management style can be seen throughout this company. Senior leadership is very dictatorial; none of them listen to the voice of the average employee. Extremely hierarchical and bureaucratic. The company seems to have taken the stereotypical Rootin' Tootin', guns ablazing, Texan approach of acquiring several smaller companies over the first half of this decade. The logic was: "Why compete with direct competitors of our products when you can simply buy them out instead?" However, it would appear as though they are beginning to realize that this strategy resulted in a lot of silo-ed offices with their own respective products, which don't necessarily integrate that well with each other. Due to this not-so-recent realization, the execs in Dallas have decided to close down several of the satellite offices they acquired, and lay off almost all of their employees. Of course, this was only AFTER having many of them train outsourced labor in Manila and India to take over their jobs for them once they are laid off. The outlook is very poor for this company, as these large office closures signify a FAILURE or "giving up" of sorts on behalf of the people that run this company. They not only failed as leaders, but they failed all of the employees that they inherited from the acquisition spree. From what I hear, things aren't much better in the Texas office in the way of compensation, upward mobility, and work/life balance. I don't think the employees in satellite offices were the only ones with very low levels of job satisfaction overall.

Advice to Management

If I thought that upper management would actually care to listen to any outside advice, I would gladly provide some. Unfortunately, upper management only does what they feel is right, and continue to issue sweeping directives to everyone below them, without ANY regard on their effect on employee job satisfaction.

Company doesnt care for itns employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrolton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrolton, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Its a great place get to know others great people to work with and to gain experience,

Cons

they cant keep management, and entire teams for very long due to over working and under paying there employees. and when something is brought up to the attention of management or HR that is obviously wrong in how it was done nothing is done about it. (this could change in future but over past few years this is how its been in the event it changes will provide an updated review)

Advice to Management

listen to your employees fist and fore most, and stop trying to screw people out of the compensation that they deserve for the position they hold

This company will cause you mental issues that will take years and years of therapy to get over, if you ever do.

I worked at RealPage

Pros

There is absolutely NO pro to work for this company. They will lie to you, cheat you and generally screw you over.

Cons

If you like to work for/invest in a company that acquires companies and then cuts their new employees' stock options (you know, part of the original 'compensation package' they were hired with) by 90% AND ups the option price of their remaining few options by TEN TIMES...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that acquires companies for their talent, then immediately scares all of the talent away...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that acquires companies for their carefully developed and successful products, and then runs those products into the ground...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that acquires companies and tells the employees they are safe in their location and will not close their offices, then closes all of those offices, fires everyone who is left and moves the jobs to Texas (of all places!)...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that tell their employees they understand their values (specifically to their San Francisco employees whose companies they acquired for unknown reasons), and then immediately ignores that and projects their Texan 'values' onto them...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that tells their salaried employees that they are required to be on a conference call (from home) at 7:00 AM, then come into the office for a full work day, then be online to assist offshore teams at 9:00 PM...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that has a management team that is exponentially more stupid each level up you go, up to and including the CEO (this may be predictable, as the higher up they are, the more likely they are to be from Texas)...

If you like to work for/invest in a company that has a reorganization of most levels of management every two months, because the board and CEO are too stupid to know where to place their stupid managers or what direction they want to go...

Finally, if you like to work for/invest in a company that has a senile old CEO that owns a majority of the company stock so the board can do absolutely nothing without his approval...

...then STEALPAGE is the company for you!

"StealPage -- We make all of your mistakes for you, so you don't have to!"

Advice to Management

Close your pathetic Texan business and do what you are qualified to do -- sell ice cream on a street corner.