RealPage Reviews

Updated 10 October 2014
2.9

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

When does this stop?

Current Employee - Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None at this time. I don't feel there are any and I plan on leaving as soon as I find something else.

Cons

Teams do not communicate or share information with one another.
    Management doesn't listen to people actually doing work. They think it's either their way or no way.
    Top-heavy management. Talent is leaving leaving company short staffed with no one coming to replace them. New management brought in again. This happens yearly because no one will stay.

Listen to employees and stop spending, spending, spending on stuff not needed. Yes, it's nice to have but this company is going to "nice to have" itself into bankruptcy.

Think twice before accepting the job offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

standard benefits available in the bay area.

Cons

Senior managements in the corporate office (Dallas) think the employees in the San Francisco office are overpaid even though their salaries are 10 - 15% below the market. Managements don't value their employees especially OpsTechnology Division. They believe every jobs can be outsourced to India. There are no room for growth. I would not recommend my friends to work here.

If 3 to 5 people are leaving each week, it's a sign. It's telling you are not doing a good job. If you can't retain your employees how can you manage the departments.

A good company and a good challenge

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that wants to grow. If you're looking for a job where you're micro-managed and everyone tells you exactly how to do your job, this isn't the company for you. Here you need to step it up and not make excuses. If you want something done, you go out and make it happen. Its interesting reading previous reviews because I just don't feel that way. It may be my own personal experience (previous with other companies and present) that are defining my outlook, but here, I feel like I can grow. Co-workers are great. Happy and friendly and want to help others succeed.

Cons

Really the only problem I've run into is communication. I find that with a lot of places. I think its due to the constant acquisitions and new products.

My advice, beef up the communication. We need a leader whos sole purpose is understanding the company, products, and how we are all tied together AND THEN ensuring the rest of us do as well. Its a great company to work for in my opinion, but the communication could use some work.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent products, services, and strong industry-dominating potential

Cons

Acquisitions come with disorganization, disconnect across departments, lack of communication when it comes to things that matter.

Don't just listen to what your employees have to say, take action and create solutions that make sense.

Below par so far

Current Employee - Developer III in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Developer III in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many smart and passionate employees.

Cons

I've been surprised at the lack of cross organization knowledge. Processes are rough around the edges and product alignment across the organization doesn't exist.

Talk to each other, roll up your sleeves and work with all groups.

Fast Paced Technology Company... A good place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Director, Total Rewards in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Total Rewards in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company is changing rapidly and growing Internationally, so there are a lot of things to do and learn.

Cons

It can be a very political place to work and the Company's equity program was a challenge due to fluctuating stock price (down from $29.50 in mid 2011).

RealPage needs to get out of its own way if it wants to get out of its rut

Current Employee - IT Department in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - IT Department in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and a lot of opportunities to work with new technologies if you know how to pitch it.

Cons

Extremely top heavy management. The business seems to solve problems in the app by throwing hardware at the problem, rather than fixing software related issues. Lack of organic growth from a saturated market leads to low stock price and no bonuses.

Stop being so short sighted and focus on what is going to make the company successful. A top heavy management environments where there's too many chiefs and not enough indians is not helping. The app is long overdue for a software refresh and it's holding back the company from truly growing.

Great company from the outside but once hired be prepared for a reality check

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From what I was told about the company from people that had been there since the early days, everything was great! Many had been promoted and were enjoying the benefit of getting in on the ground floor.

Cons

The good days are over. RP sells a cloud based solution in a very competitive environment. They have captured near 40% of the market with their rival having the other 40-50% leaving very little room for growth and still many players in the market. Many managers were hired from the outside and do not understand the solution themselves but expect greatness from accounts that have been worked by many sales people leaving clients confused and looking for a new solution. Promotions are made without merit and bending of the rules is common place.

Quit hiring new sales people and let the people within the company that know the solutions be more involved. Stop focusing on numbers, start focusing on clients and improving their experience. The UI is old and outdated. Improve quality control when new solutions roll out and take a more proactive approach to fixing bugs and setup issues. Training is a joke. What you sell is very complicated, too fully understand all its pieces you must give people time and not dump it all on them at once.

Work Life Balance: Not for Their US Employees

I worked at RealPage

Pros

Pay check twice a month.

Cons

Time off in India:
    15 vacation days + 12 personal days + 12 holidays + 12 sick days = 51 days

Time off in the US:
    10 vacation days + 3 floating holidays + 8 holidays + 5 sick days = 26 days.

Since they send the jobs to India anyway, they will be able to claim that their have an excellent work life balance.

Terrible Work Environment, Broken Management, Good Old Boys Club atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They cater in food for the home office employees and take top sales reps on glamorous trips

Cons

Management and leadership in general is arrogant, sexist, and slow to adapt.

Constant reorganization is disruptive to teams and clients alike.

A lot of executive and middle management pork needs to be trimmed off this hog. What do these people do?

Benefits are just "okay" given the size of this organization.

Churn and burn approach to hiring shows.

Focus on retaining top talent instead of burning them out or forcing them to leave because of mismanagement. Hire a consulting firm to get rid of personnel redundancies and identify real solutions for growth, inter-company merges, and comp packages that retain top talent. The "good old boys club" vibe is a major turn off and alienates the majority of employees.