RealPage

Updated 15 December 2014
2.9

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Low moral work environment

Current Employee - Dev II in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Dev II in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with are great, and the building is very modern so it gives a nice bright and open atmosphere to work in, and its a short walk from bart so it makes for a nice commute. They provide once a week catering for either breakfast or lunch, and it comes from reasonable resturants in the area.

Cons

Because the headquarters is in Texas there is a huge disconnect not only in management, but also the work that is being done by the employees in the SF office. There's also very little direction and communication both from management in the SF office and from Carrollton, on the direction of projects, causing confusion on the intention of what is needed. Over half the office has quit in the last 3 months, and now they are laying off an entire team. They now have plans to sublet half of the office space.

Get a process and road map together for what you want to achieve, communicate with with the people who are working on these projects, and stay on top of it.

Dazed and confused isnt just the name of a movie, it describes management.

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If someone wanted to write a report about how companies shouldnt be run, this is THE place. This is a company that has absolutely zero fear of doing the same thing over and over and getting the exact same miserable results. It is actually hard to believe how the company is run until after you have endured it for yourself. Imagine graduating from high school then being forced to go through it again, thats RealPage. Oh, I forgot about the Friday morning breakfasts, they usually get good tacos.

Cons

This is my second sales job and I know that this is not normal. How do you start -
    There is no person in this entire organization who understand how/why/when they get paid. Every commission check can be clawed back as long as you are employed by this company. The only people who know how much they are getting paid is management because they are on a different plan. If you actually hit your number, you get a surprise audit from commissions to make sure that you never see that check. ANd nobody will help you to understand why you dont get paid, I guess its legal somehow to not pay people.
    Training is a laugh. It will take you years to figure this place out. Years.
    This company has no problem in having relatives report to each other. No lying, the favoritism isnt hidden or discouraged, 'thats just RealPage' is how it gets explained. If you are on the right team, skill isnt necessary, you are going to get run over with opportunity. (Meters here, come getcha meters over here,,,,)
    Promotions go to those who are the right look or the SVP likes, it doesnt matter if you can actually explain something to a customer. The Vps are puppets.
    If you want a promotion, hold your breath and threaten to quit. You will get promoted way higher than if you actually try to earn it.
    It takes weeks to get an add on order to a customer. And when you do, the customer is so frustrated they dont want the service anymore but they are stuck with RealPage. It takes longer now to get an order out than when I started.
    Marketing, billing, implementations - all of these departments are set up to run perfectly. Perfectly for a company with 42 customers. In 1998.
    You wont hit your quota here unless you get the right accounts. You can spend a year trying to sell to an account that has no products but you get paid the same if companies just add new properties. If you arent working for the right vp, go kick rocks.

Come downstairs and try to put in an order. I double dog dare you. Try to get someone to help with a bill problem, you will find out how many people it takes to get anything done. Lots of focus on the sale and no focus on service. How many people work here? WHAT DO THEY DO Promote good people instead of friends/relatives, its how the rest of the world works. Fix your infrastructure. Who am I kidding, these guys listen to no one.

Very good chance for growth within the company

Current Employee - QA Specialist in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - QA Specialist in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary, personal growth, Good work-life balance.

Cons

Bloated middle management, Too many meetings.

No Place For Skilled Software Persons

Current Employee - Software Developer IV in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer IV in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None really. Pay was ok but bennies are average at best.

If you are new to software development, it may be a good place to get a "starter" job but that's it. I feel for anyone new to software development that goes to work here and thinks this is how the rest of the world works. It's not, trust me.

Cons

Too many lifers who are content to accept things as they are. "We do it this way because we always have done it this way." is the prevailing mood. They are lifers because they would struggle to find jobs elsewhere.

They say they want to change but are afraid to change.

Bloated middle management. Stay there long enough and you are a manager. Qualified or not. Once you make middle management, you spend the rest of your time ensuring you don't have to take any blame for anything.

Managers are heavily bonused - this is a bad thing because of the previous statement. Their entire existence then becomes based around getting their bonuses. That means ensuring they don't get blamed for anything.

CEO's dad started the company. Pretty much all you need to know.

Much of the software (blame) is off-shored to the Philippines and India. Convenient for local managers.

Resign.

Good place to start with great coworkers but very stressful and mundane after a long period of time.

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

It's a great place to start with great pay increases every quarter for those starting out. I have a great supervisor and good friends there which helps when there is a stressful day.

Cons

Did I mention stressful days? Yes especially during the summer when the upper management has not scheduled enough or hired enough people to handle call volume the calls are back to back all day and there are people on the other end who do not understand how we help them and take their frustration out on us.

Please higher more people at the start of the summer and communicate with the staff of the properties we service so they can communicate with their customers as to what they can expect from our service.

Be prepared.

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance and good pay. Flexible working hours and nice working areas. Sometimes with free food during anniversaries. Friendly colleagues.

Cons

Management doesn't value their employees. They say that they provide you the best place to work, the newest technology and other good stuffs.

But the later you will find yourself rushing things due to demands, technology is way way back and just masking the product itself.

Be prepared to get fired if management doesn't like you.

Listen to your employees and look closely for their potentials.

OK, but don't stay long

Former Employee - Data Center Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Data Center Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Learn how to deal with a "Windows 98" style software shop.

Cons

* Benefits are sub-par at best.
    * You're going to be a work horse no matter the position (engineer, manager, director, etc)
    * Executive Management doesn't care as long as the products stay online and when a product is offline, expect to be thrown under a bus in any and every way possible. But don't expect a pat on the back when it's doing great.
    * Lots of inter-departmental cronyism.
    * Executives, especially within HR organizations, will not be truthful.
    * When a breakroom in one of the buildings has issues, rather than fix it, it's "taped off".

* Don't make empty promises (specifically to the "Chief People Officer")
    * Actually care about the common goal of the company like those on your bottom floor do.
    * Grant more stock options to employees rather than letting them see you cash out on them.
    * It's time for Mr. Winn to retire and let someone else attempt to resuscitate this company.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay, great co workers, make your own hours for the most part.

Cons

Stale management who do not understand the sales cycle, compensation plan, or our solutions. Antiquated solutions and UI. Growth through acquisition only. Sales data inundated with false information as reps are held to unrealistic quota. $870,000 for AR1.

Take two weeks off and them quit.

Book Smart but Little Real World Expertise

Former Employee - Manager in Brea, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Brea, CA (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Christian company with quality people and great work environment on a beutiful campus.

Cons

People are hired based on their connections and religeous beliefs which is great but too many of the key positions are filled by unqualified individuals. The staff mistake activity for productivity.

Start looking to hire from outside the company instead of promoting internal candidates that are unqualified.

Fun team, major changes ahead which could be good or bad

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers & flexible work environment - My department is very fun, and has a lot of opportunity for the products to grow. We have many team outings and there is a lot of trust from management towards the team. I've had lots of opportunities to learn new skills and have been given responsibilities which have enabled me to grow.

Cons

Currently there have been too many changes to management causing uncertainty & lack of leadership/direction for the LeaseStar side of the business. Also, it's hard dealing with needy clients that have little to no technical background & this gets very tedious.

For the SF office, salaries are okay, could be better since this is such an expensive area. Also, bring back some of the food - it's a great way to offer competitive benefits at little expense. More direction for future plans of the SF office would be uplifting - things seem a bit uncertain at the moment.