Red Cross

Red Cross Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern

Gail McGovern

Pros:
  • "Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference"
    in 19 reviews
  • "It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse"
    in 24 reviews
  • "No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO)"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Internship Opportunity!

Disaster Services Intern (Former Employee)
Athens, GA (US)

I worked at Red Cross as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat supervisor for the internship - allowed the freedom to work independently within a flexible schedule.

ConsThere is a lot of time that is spent doing computer/busy work but it is still valuable in a way.

rewarding

Collections (Current Employee)
Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood pay and benefits good peers

Consnot very stable anymore making lots of cuts

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great

I have been working at Red Cross

ProsThe values and mission is really important to us

Consbeing more effective and efficient on managing volunteers

Apr 07, 2014

Thank you for your review and your praise for our mission and values. We could not be successful without the dedication of our employees and volunteers. We appreciate your comments about being more ... More

I loved the Red Cross, great company to work for.

Receptionist (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY (US)

I worked at Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt was like having a family. Everyone cared about each other.

Conssometimes it would be slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have more media coverage

Apr 04, 2014

Thank you for being a part of the Red Cross family and for your review. We are so pleased your time with us was such a positive experience. We do have a communications team that handles our local and ... More

Human Resource intern

Human Resource Intern (Former Employee)
East Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at Red Cross as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople are really friendly and great atmosphere to work
you learn a lot and get a chance to assist in every day tasks

Consit was unpaid-- but for an internship, that is understandable
a lot of times I had nothing to do

Apr 04, 2014

Thank you for your review! We’re happy you chose to intern at the American Red Cross, and that you found your coworkers friendly and the working environment to be positive. Most importantly, we’re ... More

great mission but micromanage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Red Cross full-time

Prosthey help save lives. clean work place and have greatt pto

Consthey micromanage to the extreme

Pleasant work environment, lacks organization

Communications (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Red Cross as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood experiences and inspiring stories of helping others.

ConsPoorly managed and lacking communication between supervisors and employers, and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more collaborative meetings to get everyone on the same page

If only employees were treated with the same respect and concern as the community we serve

I have been working at Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA wonderful humanitarian organization that helps many people during difficult times

ConsYou are continually expected to improve performance, while all tools to do so are taken away from you. Management does not care about staff, only about improving their own position at any cost. You are asked to do more and more, with no increase in compensation. In fact, most people who have been with the organization for a few years have seen a continual pay decrease. All problems are blamed on those people who have no power to fix them. Management takes zero accountabilty for poor decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at the root cause of your problems. There are excellent people leaving at an alarming rate. When they leave, you lose the relationships and the connection with the people necessary to make the company a success. The perception is, you would rather not deal with the issues, and just replace the veteran employees with new hires who have no idea how dysfunctional the organization really is. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told "you're lucky you have a job". What a great way to treat employees!!

No loyalty for employees

Collection Specialist I (Former Employee)
Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to get work experience!! You will meet some great employees that actually have your back no matter what.

ConsCompany has no understanding for employees that have families and they will throw you under the bus in a hot second. All supervisors look out for only themselves only without regret! Lots of broken promises no room for growth ( or they won't let you grow if they don't think that you deserve it!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees and listening to their concerns. Don't try to hide every little issue under the rug. If you want to keep staff start showing them some support instead of always putting them down.

May this step be a brief one in your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

ProsARC has a great mission. The work environment is very casual. There are many women in local management.

ConsNational management makes poor decisions because they are out of touch with their local operations. Such as money saving measures will often cost more than previous models, or making demands of budgets that demonstrate they have not even looked at said budgets.

In restructuring new positions were found for managers but staff was let go. Restructuring means job loses and that is painful for everyone. But don't fire a dozen of us and send emails asking us to congratulate our new vice president. Worse, announcements about restructuring and job loses are made several months before the specific details are available. That sort of uncertainty makes employee retention and productivity difficult.

A big raise for the year is still less than inflation.

Very expensive technology decisions are made by people who don't get tech.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe national office should be a resource of best practices, not doing its best to make work less efficient and more expensive for the sake of standardization. Why is getting out of the consent decree not a priority? It cost us $9.6 million in 2012. If it is a priority, why has progress not been communicated?

Worked for Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!

Red Cross Videos

Red Cross – Why Work for Us?

Employees and volunteers of the Red Cross are essential in keeping the American public informed and prepared to prevent and respond to disasters and personal emergencies. We provide training in lifesaving skills such… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Cross reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern. All 517 reviews are posted anonymously by Red Cross employees.