Redbox

Redbox Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014
Redbox – “Fun cubicle”

Mark Horak

Pros:
  • "The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company offers great benefits in the form of medical , dental & vacations"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Communication, growth (all non-field employees are on Chicago)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Field Support Rep II

Field Service Representative Level II (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

Prosget to watch movies first and for free. dress code, very relaxed. good benefits (i.e medical, dental....)

ConsWay too Micro Managed! Corporate has no idea what goes on or what it takes to run the field ops. Has no clue how or what it takes to maintain kiosks in rural/remote areas. Lots of travel (1,000+ miles) a week, yes a WEEK! Winter time can be brutal. Working on outdoor kiosks in -20 degree weather.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't evaluate all techs with one generic "cookie cutter" metrics. Remote/Rural techs travel hundreds of miles and only able to get to a few machines while "in city" techs can get to 10+ machines in the same amount of time. Then during review remote techs are told they haven't done enough. Also management needs to understand that kiosks are not "just down at the end of hall and turn right at the water cooler", some of them are in very remote locations and someone has to go to them.

Great people, casual environment...absentee management that renegs on stated values...useful as a stepping-stone

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent compensation package. Great teamwork (within each impenetrable silo). Willing to invest in latest technologies and spend cash like crazy. People walking around in flip-flops if that's important to you. Most people below director level are good, honest and hard-working people. A good place to work if you aren't expecting long-term career growth.

ConsMost unstable management I've seen in my career (two huge re-orgs and several other disruptive changes in 18 months).. Career advancement is almost impossible as growth has all but stopped and the old guard is too busy trying to preserve their kingdom. Director level and above mostly only looking out for themselves. Discontinued bonuses and layoffs for Christmas. When almost 100% of employees who have been around for several years are jaded and perpetually 'looking for new opportunities' - something's up.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider whether your 'let them eat cake' management is really in the best interest of the company or yourselves...

Used to be a great place to work, now it's gotten depressing.

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe general folks you work with on a day-to-day basis are awesome and used to be very motivated and customer-centric. Perhaps it will be that way again.

ConsThe execs don't seem to have a clue what they're doing, and the recent layoffs didn't help. I'm hopeful that they can recapture their original spirit

Good retail and entertainment company in Chicago

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time

ProsGreat industry, fun company and people

ConsLots of change and evolution over the coming years

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear on the vision forward

Great atmosphere, lack of executive direction/vision

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking environment, informal dress code, mostly great people

ConsLeadership seems very reactionary, with little longer-term vision. Coinstar culture has killed much of the entrepreneurial spirit that used to make redbox exciting to work for. It has gotten more political, with business teams expanding quickly without corresponding investment in technology...not enough vetting of ideas before having tech spend time on them; then there is little accountability and ROI calculation after implementation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics, reward teams that actually show measurable value

casual culture, good salary, highly modern office with many amenities

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Prospeople are cool, salaries are very competitive, great office, very good benefits package for FTE. lots of company sponsored events, gifts to employees, recognition, execs tried to communicate with dev team about work conditions/teams, but feedback given was rarely put into practice

Consnot a tremendous amount of career advancement for software. way too many contractors being hired for a short amount of time, after they became adept at the system, they were going and FTEs had to retrain them. doing development on the actual boxes required a lab with redboxes, hard to emulate for quick debug. lot's of lua script, also hard to debug

Advice to Senior Managementhire less contractors and focus on cultivating domain-expert FTEs. there was way too much turnaround with contracts and having the FTEs retrain them constantly is counter productive

FANTASTIC until purchased by Coinstar. Downhill from there as they are slaves to the street.

Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt used to be a really cool company with awesome employee engagement programs, fantastic bonus paid twice per year, and great benefits.

ConsOnce it got bought by Coinstar everything changed. It was supposed to be the same, but it was hard for the tail to wag the dog.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair.

Used to be great

Field Support Representative (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey got rid of all the pros. Not much good anymore.

ConsTrust is gone. They micromanage everything. New CEO (of Outerwall - parent company of Redbox) values shareholders more than employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementA company that does well takes care of their employees. Not just lip service. Actions speak louder than words. If your employees feel that they are being looked out for, then they will take pride in their company again. Employees that take pride in their company have the motivation to do well which reflects in the company.

Honestly, what good do you think will come from discontinued bonuses. Reduced hourse, and reduced benefits.

If you have a decent manager, it can be fun.

FSR2 (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than a year

ProsGood medical benefits. Use of company vehicle.

ConsOverworked and not appreciated.Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging.

Bittersweet.

Supervisor Role (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Great benefits and perks for their coworkers.
-Positive outlook and goals.
-Mostly great coworkers and team members.

Cons-Management can be either useless or too brash in their decision making.
-Hard workers can sometimes be overlooked instead of commended.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize which of your employees (including lower management) are actually doing all the work and which are useless.

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Redbox reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Redbox CEO Mark Horak . All 92 reviews are posted anonymously by Redbox employees.