Redbox

Redbox Reviews

Updated 24 February 2015
Updated 24 February 2015

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance (in 9 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

If you don't mind constant change, you can find great success.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

Redbox culture is in transition from matured start up to corporate. That being said it is and will never be the stuffy environment most old school work environments will be. It is a comfortable environment with many motivated and intelligent people. There are opportunities to grow and a flexible work environment allows you to work hard and still have some work life balance.

Cons

Redbox is still less than 15 years old so there has been a decent amount of change from year to year. Some of the decisions by the upper management in recent years have not always worked in the companies favor and it has been the cause for re-orgs and budget shifts. While the company is still successful, it is sometimes hard to see a long term career in such a volatile environment. In the short term, it is great to get some experience, work with great people and have short term successes.

Expand the product offering and find a course everyone can get behind. Stick with it and drive the company in a true direction.

Good place to work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nice office and working environment. Free snack, Starbucks coffee, fruits. Flexibility of working schedule depends on field manager: possible to work from home if necessary. Bonus - get free DVD for every night :)

Cons

All main decisions done by business team, unfortunately not always right.

Miserable experience.

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

Free drinks and a lot of snacks.

Cons

No empowerment given to any level. Decisions are made and the team is there to execute.

Many areas for them to work on.

Field Support Rep I -( FSR 1) - Quit

Former Employee - Field Support Representative I in Midwest City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Field Support Representative I in Midwest City, OK (US)

I worked at Redbox

Pros

-First of let me start off by saying when I started, I got all the support from my boss and direct coworkers. They we're more than supportive in training and helping answering calls even when they weren't obligated to or we're with family.
    -Somewhat flexible hours
    -Fridays usually off
    -You can be on your own
    -part-time position that can be considered full-time.

Cons

1) Micromanaged, I hired on shortly after as Outerwall took over Red box. From what I heard it was a pleasant place to work before the take over, but they don't have all their ducks in a line. The training is rather minimal. You learn on the job a lot. There should be more streamlined training process at corporate. However, that likely won't happen because they probably don't plan on keeping employee's for that long. Which brings me to my next con....

2) For an FSR 1, there is no company car, no fleet vehicle, let alone a car allowance outside of the mileage reimbursement which can be cumbersome in terms of detailing routes. They pay for your mileage reimbursement but what really is the problem is that your using your OWN vehicle, and depending on your route, you will be stopping and starting your vehicle upwards of 15-25x a day giving the engine 10-20minutes of rest in between. It's very stressful on engines. Despite the fact that you'll pack on the miles, It's not the mileage you'll be worried about. You would think for a company that requires you to drive a vehicle all day, they would invest a little more into that aspect of the job.

3) Onto the next con, your vehicle will be jam packed with boxes of dvd's and marketing product. Sure you can empty your vehicle out, but that will get old unloading the boxes every time. You actually should have a SUV with significant room for the boxes, marketing material plus a tote bag filled with supplies.

4) The machines are for the most part outside with some select counties having things different. What this translates to is to sometimes an unsafe environment. In certain areas these things get broken into quite a bit. You also have to do the job when it's raining, snowing, hot or cold. You'll be on the ground at times whether that's dirty cement/snow or ice. Most of the machines do not have awnings over them.

5) People will talk to you and sometimes hassle or even harass you which can be expected, but it will be annoying at the very least while your trying to answer there questions while they are completely oblivious to the fact that you are trying to do a job. God-bless em, but kids are even worse. At least kids with oblivious parents. They will pull out DVD's artwork knock over stacked piles that your counting. That's another thing, your taught to multitask so you'll have to manage and keep close watch over product because it can and will disappear whether it's your fault or somebody Else's.

6) The pay for this kind of position is not where it should be. I believe average hourly salary is around $12-15, however it realistically should be somewhere between $16-20.

1) Give the FSR 1 some sort of company car/fleet vehicle to use during the day or at the bare minimum a car allowance outside of the mileage reimbursement. They drive a lot.
    2) Review training process
    3) Consider increase pay
    4) Try to spend the extra money to have the machines inside the stores. It's not only safer to the employee, but it's also safer for the customer. Also customers don't want to stand outside when it's raining or snowing.

Big mistake. Undervalued, underpaid. Harassed for being a minority.

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance, dress code, and direct deposit.

Cons

See above, not a place to be if you don't fit into the "club".

Manage your ROS's and Regional Managers more closely.

Redbox Response

Jan 30, 2015HumanResources

In keeping with the Company’s values of respect and integrity, we are committed to providing a workplace free from intimidation and harassment. Violations of this policy are taken seriously from all ... More

It was a great company in the beginning but lost its edge when Coinstar took over.

I worked at Redbox full-time

Pros

Compensation is ok. Good health care benefits. Great field teams and managers. Bonus program is great incentive for giving your best at the local level.

Cons

Once the original leadership team left the company went downhill and its values became lip service and there was a huge disconnect with upper management. They lost sight of the people whether they intended it or not.

Overall very positive

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, so is work/personal life balance. Excellent paid time off.

Cons

I often do not have enough work to do to get me to 40 hours per week so often cashing in time off on a normal check to fill in gaps.

level 1 technician

Former Employee - Level I Technician in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Level I Technician in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work. environment positive to be around. easy to lean procedures

Cons

advancement to hierarchical jobs is tough to get in to. Seems to be about who you know rather than what you can do

Keep striving hard and thinking about employees and everything should balance out.

Too much drama.

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits good. Paid time off good for senior tenured employees.

Cons

Drama by direct superior and superiors going up. Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance. HR fails to take steps in ensuring field employees are treated fairly.

Listen to from bottom side up. If someone quits stream the freaking hiring process, and back fill ASAP. Stop expecting teams to pick up slack for a vacant position. Provide certifications for FSR 2. Practice what you preach and hire from within on levels not just fsr1 to fsr 2. FSR 3 position needed to better train fsr 2 and travel to train others. Marketing department is a joke and key failure into branding our name in households in America.