Redbox Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
2.9

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue (in 7 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Started of great, ended up really bad.

Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talented group of software engineers. For the most part compensation was good. Raises were not the greatest, so be sure to get your money up front. Benefits were pretty good. Had more perks in the beginning, but as purse strings began to tighten, they went away.

Cons

Crappy upper management. Poor decision making when layoffs had to happen. No long term approach for dealing with the demise of DVD rentals.

Don't lay people off based on tenure. We aren't blue-collar workers.

Needs more direction from the top down.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively relaxed work environment with flexible work from home opportunities. Very good salaries and benefits for not being located in downtown Chicago.

Cons

Leadership often struggles with setting company direction. Some people that have been here for awhile are stuck in their ways and don't often give some new ideas a chance. Titles and positions in the company are often based on HR requirements and not always individual ability. Immense early success masked some of the inept management skills and now that it isn't as booming as it used to be, those issues are starting to become more noticeable.

Good new ideas a chance and at least allow for some POC time. Don't just blow them off because of what someone said about them years ago.

Wonderful, Diverse, Inclusive

Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part about this job is the atmosphere. I've made many new friends who have common interests and I'm able to come to work dressed in comfortable clothing. Everyone including management is friendly. The job can get a little tedious and repetitive after a while, but there is always opportunity for training in new areas and the possibility of promotion. This is a great job to make decent money while going to school or working towards a better position. Great perks and great insurance.

Cons

Nothing so egregious it deserve complaint, overall a great place to work.

It was what is was

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Free beverages and dvds to rent.

Cons

Horrible communication with employees. You would find out from a customer about a site wide issue before internally.

Great, now bad

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

When I started: Excellent projects, smart people, great management who provided tools and gave support when needed

Cons

Now: no good projects and the smart people and great managers have left so no one to learn from

Either invest more or make cuts. Stop thinking.

Was a great place to work...

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very casual dress code, PTO policy, and benefits are good. Most co-workers are friendly and willing to help each other out.

Cons

Extremely low morale due to multiple rounds of recent lay offs/re-orgs and low bonus payouts. Increasing amount of people leaving the company with upper management not doing anything to address the issue. No solid direction from upper management who are also not in touch with lower levels of employees.

Upper management needs to figure out a direction for the company, boost morale, and find a way to reduce the rate of very talented people leaving the company every week.

Political Corporate

Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, personal time off and benefits
    The people on your team are usually very good
    Most departments get along and cooperate to get the job done

Cons

There is no 5 year plan. Outerwall will bleed Redbox dry of cash until the disc and this company are no longer profitable.
    Sr. Management is out to cover themselves politically and cash in their bonuses and stock grants.
    Doesn't matter how well you do your job. You meet objectives yet still run out politically.

Look in the mirror and be honest with people. There will continue to be high turnover as they churn people through to try and save an aging soon to be obsolete technology. And try and get some better movies. How many VP and Directors do you need to purchase and market these titles.

Solid work environment with unsure future

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is not typical of most $2b companies in Illinois. Feels more like a start-up than a corproation

Cons

The culture feels like its starting to change (for the worse). Still better than most companies, but not as great as it used to be.

Good Company but lost it's direction

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, balance lifestyle, great culture

Cons

Shrinking, out of new ideas

The Rise and Fall of Rome

I worked at Redbox

Pros

When I first started with this company, they were young & ambitious. I so enjoyed learning & growing with the company.

Cons

They turned into a big company like Wal-Mart. They fired or let go all of their high tenure employees, brought in people who know nothing, even in the tech support area. They are fighting amongst themselves.

My immediate supervisor & his supervisor had it out for me from day one & made sure I knew it. I was compared to someone that was fired previous to me. The Regional Manager, in the course of our conversation, made it be known that when I applied for the Regional OPerating Supervisor position, he hadn't even read my REsume, even though HR had interviewed me & submitted my resume as a candidate.