Redbox

Updated 10 November 2014
Updated 10 November 2014
2.9

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue (in 7 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Political Corporate

Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, personal time off and benefits
    The people on your team are usually very good
    Most departments get along and cooperate to get the job done

Cons

There is no 5 year plan. Outerwall will bleed Redbox dry of cash until the disc and this company are no longer profitable.
    Sr. Management is out to cover themselves politically and cash in their bonuses and stock grants.
    Doesn't matter how well you do your job. You meet objectives yet still run out politically.

Look in the mirror and be honest with people. There will continue to be high turnover as they churn people through to try and save an aging soon to be obsolete technology. And try and get some better movies. How many VP and Directors do you need to purchase and market these titles.

Good place, if you're lucky

Current Employee - Field Support Representative II in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative II in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending you position you get mileage reimbursement; or are supplied a company vehicle. Good benefits. Flexible working schedule.

Cons

Shortly after the coinstar buyout many changed took place and they were not for the better. I have been with company for years and no opportunity has been given to move up. Everytime a position opens it is given to an external candidate. Without any consideration of internal employees. Field is stuck in regards to moving up

Field has no room for advancement. Big on communicating plans and opportunities from within yet over the years any advancement within market I was told too far or not even acknowledged at all. Even after applying.

The Rise and Fall of Rome

I worked at Redbox

Pros

When I first started with this company, they were young & ambitious. I so enjoyed learning & growing with the company.

Cons

They turned into a big company like Wal-Mart. They fired or let go all of their high tenure employees, brought in people who know nothing, even in the tech support area. They are fighting amongst themselves.

My immediate supervisor & his supervisor had it out for me from day one & made sure I knew it. I was compared to someone that was fired previous to me. The Regional Manager, in the course of our conversation, made it be known that when I applied for the Regional OPerating Supervisor position, he hadn't even read my REsume, even though HR had interviewed me & submitted my resume as a candidate.

Solid work environment with unsure future

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is not typical of most $2b companies in Illinois. Feels more like a start-up than a corproation

Cons

The culture feels like its starting to change (for the worse). Still better than most companies, but not as great as it used to be.

Good Company but lost it's direction

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, balance lifestyle, great culture

Cons

Shrinking, out of new ideas

Was a great company until bought by Coinstar

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation package very generous and field teams are amazing. Company car provided as well as bonus every year for everyone who meets company expectations.

Cons

When coinstar purchased redbox the dynamic of the company changed. No longer that small fun company to work for. All about how much you can work the field without going over budgets.

Like being at high school

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I got a pay check

Cons

I have never, ever worked at a place where people completely ignore you like you are invisible. The people are completely immature and very unprofessional.

Break up the high school mentality and make your people act more professional or fire them and get more mature people.

Good place to start

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

smart developers(mostly contractors)explores new technologies,playing it safe now,modern office,good cafeteria,free snacks,coffe,hot choclate,fruits,breakfast,cereals,soda machine,candy,etc.

Cons

politics,doesn't absorb talented contractors,few managers only want to do repetitive support work so that his and his team keeps going on.Puts hurdles in automation and hides facts.Few managers are in-sure about there turfs.Few managers doesn't like his sub ordinates speaking up with better ideas than him and stops allowing them in meetings hence stopping innovation and better ideas.

Good company overall

I worked at Redbox full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture not a suit kind of organization. Good culture of open door policy.

Cons

Executive leadership is disengaged with most levels below them and little to no recognition that they make a lot of changes for this large of a company and they expect the teams to accept and implement changes with little to no planning time.

Need to engage your field leadership better and utilize their knowledge in the planning stages for major change to better understand the timeframes to implement the needed changes.

Lot of avoidable changes going on.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code. Good benefits.

Cons

Not a productive work environment.

Get a clue to what is going on from the actual workers.