Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

Ok place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsNot a bad place to work and benefits are good.

Consnot many and overall good place to work

Very large company and culture mindset

Director (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsVery, very large company stability. The company has clear policies on HR, growth, travel, etc... I prefer small companies and working here was hard but always fair, always.

ConsFor me, the big company culture was hard. Things do not happen quickly and that can be a good thing if you can be patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency in the management thought process would be good.

A difficult place to work

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsInteresting location and some nice people work there.

ConsI worked in the RETS area. It's over-siloed, over out-sourced and good communication between teams is difficult. the on boarding process is fatally flawed. The net result is that it is very difficult to understand how to do your job. There's too much process and very little procedure. They try to do things the ITIL way and fail miserably in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget about having a separate IT service department and integrate IT with the business areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There has been better times

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork with some excellent peers in my group and others, challenging work, with fair compensation.

ConsRecent re-orgs an

Albany office will be closing, while i expect to be able to continue a HBE, the impact to people I've been working with for years and to the city, where Matthew Bender has had a historical precence is challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, current organization is not well defined or understood.

A great company in desperate need of a vision

Department Head (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsInternational, highly educated work force
    Flexible working hours, parent-friendly
    Opportunity to serve high-calibre science

ConsCEO is invisible, a bean-counter with no apparent vision for the future. Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and notice the sea change that has happened in the academic community and our new technology-driven competitors. Cost control and relying on traditional products is not enough to sustain our privileged profit share. A new vision is needed to inspire customers, employees and shareholders. Try not to waste the opportunity of the Mendeley merger.

Solid company that operates under the radar.

Department Head (Former Employee)

ProsVery old, stable, multinational, science, technology, and medicine publishing company that offers excellent benefits and steady employment.

ConsLeadership is not very independent minded and tends to get caught up in trends that cause employee frustrations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more women to senior management and stop being so Dutch.

Fear is how most of us live daily!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norcross, GA (US)

ProsGood benefits and some perks

ConsManagement that is so out of touch with reality and more important, it's employees. People stay for their paycheck and lack of options.
    Constant daily changes with no regard of what employees already do, and they never consult those who do the job to see if even feasible.
    Lower level employees are held accountable for all management decisions. Management is never held accountable.
    If you disagree you're fired.
    No internal advancement, they only load up staff with no opinion staffers.
    No women to upper management. Men rule at all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Morale is in the toilet and after all these years I repairable. Don't know anyone, and I've been here 10+ years likes where they work, or would ever speak up because of daily fear drilled into us.
    I'd say listen to your employees....but trust factor left long ago, as was respect.
    Practice your own company values!

Good benefits and opportunities to advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsThe people are dedicated and committed to excellence
    The bonus packages and pension plans are good, better than many of my friend's packages who work for different companies
    Diverse businesses present unique advancement opportunities

ConsPoor communication lends itself to an atmosphere where rumors are rampant
    Difficult to break into executive management internally
    Lack of cohesiveness across affiliates

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to bring affiliates together to share learnings and best practices.
    Periodically share corporate strategy and vision to ensure the employees on the front line have a clear idea of where we're going at a corporate level and not just within their divisions.

A company in transition

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA (US)

ProsThe culture was stable and secure.

ConsThe company did not stir innovation.

Good Place to Learn & Good Work/Life Balance

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEuropean owned company - 37.5 hr work week! Good balance work/life balance....you aren't working crazy hours which can be a common expectation in the marketing field at other companies. Learning opportunities are readily available in order to promote advancement in your career. Friendly people to work with.

ConsThe salaries are a bit low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep good workers, salaries need to be a bit more competitive.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!