Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Had been a good experience working here

Production Planning and Quality Control Executive (Current Employee) Chennai

ProsComfortable shifts, Transportation Facilities, Good Compensation benefits, Entertainment. Hygenic environment. No dress code.

ConsFlat Hierarchy Structure due to which promotion is minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStress on Transparency

Neutral - Daily Routine Job

ProsVoluntarily attend more training sessions for your personal development.
    Transportation facilities.

ConsMissing domain expert leadership of missing management group.

okey

Project Manager (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

Prosownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance

ConsLow salaries, mangers are not transparent

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look beyond psycophants

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Director (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsGreat place to work - Good talent and management - great products

ConsBusiness Environment is tough, salary growth is slow

A nice place to work at but not the best place for really creative people

Copy Editor (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsThe best reason has to be the cafe experience; you can have really relaxing coffee/tea breaks here and de-stress.
    secondly, the work culture is pretty decent.

Consthey can do better by ensuring that all departments coalesce for activities and support each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to take greater interest in what's happening at the lower levels.

Good

Webshop Executive (Current Employee) Chennai

Pros1. Good work Environment.

2. Stress free

3. Employee Friendly

Cons1. Ideas of the Employees in the beginning level with good exposure are not valued.

Advice to Senior Management1. Its time for a change to the E-Operation from the authentic publishing mode of job

A Dead end for it staff in the UK

Pros"an excellent starting package with pension and medical.

ConsThe IT division RETS (reed Elsevier technology services) is almost all run from the US so the UK is treated like a poor offshoot, poor training if any causing a general de skilling of UK IT staff over time, no bonuses, a 3% cap on pay rises although 2% in more common, a promotion path that is totally unworkable leaving people undervalued.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagerial change is the norm and I personally have had 7 managers in the last 5 years, everyone knows they will be sacrificed for the bottom line regardless as to there use to the company often leading to huge gaps that need to be filled quickly, this reactive approach is not dynamic but flawed as the upper management have no technical understanding yet force decisions that later often prove to be expensive and incorrect, don't work here in the UK if you want management to respect or listen to you.

Solid global corporation, but not brilliant at career development

Technology (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsI work in the Elsevier bit, in particular the Technology group, recently taken over by Dan Olley (2013). (Elsevier is the Science publishing group). The company used to be very bureaucratic, faceless, etc., a lot of tech talent got out-sourced. Olley looks like he's stopping this.

And the openness has been changing in the last two or three years, it's a more friendly company than it used to be. The benefits are pretty good for the sector, and the salaries at the senior end of thing are relatively attractive when you're coming into the company. There are plenty of travel opportunities - mostly, in my case, to Amsterdam, Dayton (Ohio) and Philly. Internal communications used to be unspeakably bad, but is improving.

Even if you think you know Elsevier to be a big company, the scale of it will amaze you. Ten years in, and I can still find myself in an office of 500 people without knowing a single person there, or even know what they do! Personally, I like this, but then I'm a loud-mouth.

Despite what I'm going to say in the 'cons' section, I reckon I fit in quite well at Elsevier. It's not what I expected, but it suits for personal reasons (young family, blah blah blah). Probably best for self-motived extroverts.

ConsThe Oxford (Kidlington) office is a souless hole, especially compared with Amsterdam, which is (now that it's been revamped) a far more engaging environment. If you don't get an office in Oxford from the start, you won't get one. Compared with Amsterdam, where if you had an office (almost no-one does now), you wouldn't want one. The Mendeley office in London seems like a nice place. Philly and Dayton are ... well, meh.

Ditto salaries - it will take YEARS to get any kind of promotion or rise unless you're on the management programme (and I don't think the Technology / IT group has a management / career development programme). The HR team talk a lot about recruiting talent, but very little about retaining it, or developing it (again, I can only speak to the technology group). I would recommend working here for a couple of years and then going elsewhere for career dev, and not uprooting yourself and the family for a long-term relationship.

If you're ambitious in technology, it can be frustrating place to work. There seems to be a lot of people in the business side who have tech responsibilities and I don't know how that all ties together. Maybe it'll get sorted, but it's been like that for longer than I've been there and doesn't look like it's getting there. The story seems a familiar one from Dilbert: if you're outside the company you get taken more seriously... On the upside, once your projects get funded and supported, they get delivered and supported. This is a good thing, and I've been lucky in that all my projects have been successful - this isn't rewarded financially, but it feels really good. Some poor sods seem to get all the bad luck.

The tech stack was more limited than it was - used to be MS throughout. Not so much anymore, although Oracle dominates the db side. The fulfilment systems are a hoot. Some of the ideas that come through are really exciting, which makes up for it (but you need to engage with the cool stuff, before some people get all negative about delivery), I find enthusiasm and engagement really helps deliver.

Advice to Senior Management1) Have some way of identifying your technology talent and developing their careers. The management programme seems to work well in the 'business' side, why not do something similar?

2) Do something with the Oxford office. Almost anything. It's the second worst thing about the job, but it's close, it feels like a passive-aggressive library.

3) The person who runs the Amsterdam office seems to know what they're talking about. As does Olley.

Very corporate but has its moments.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience to put on your CV

ConsLarge corporate inertia rather apparent

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe be more proactive than reactive.

Outstanding company

Full-Time (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery successful company; share price doubled in last four years; strong management; good vision; excellent products and services; innovative; treats employees well; good CSR. Unlike many competitors has crossed the chasm from print to digital and is on the forefront of big data. Worth the journey.

ConsStill silos between the businesses; slow-moving at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more. You have a great story to tell

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!