Regeneron Pharmaceuticals

Updated 25 September 2014
4.0

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Leonard S. Schleifer
Leonard S. Schleifer

Pros
  • Smart people, friendly atmosphere, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• well work-life balance, good salary and benefits, good work environment, supportive colleagues, (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not viable in the long run considering the cost of living in Westchester County, NY (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management are in an ivory tower looking down on their peons (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a lot of promise but grew too quickly and can't deliver what they say.

Current Employee - Research Associate IV  in  Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate IV in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good ideas from many smart people. Benefits are good (same as other biotechs/pharmas I've worked).

Cons

It feels like you can't do anything without getting management approval. RAs, admins, and other support staff are just support not truly valued members.

Let us do our work. We may not have MDs, JDs, or PhDs but we actually do know things. Plan a little better and give us some guidance but don't micromanage. You don't have to yell at us to get better work just treat us as peers and listen to what we are saying.

Good technology but poor processes

Current Employee - Staff Scientist  in  Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pipeline is exciting and the people are friendly.

Cons

The company processes are lacking and communication between groups is poor. The management cares more about getting products into the clinic then making processes more efficient and the lives of employees easier. The company also has an over-inflated opinion of itself and is not open to process improvement.

Encourage innovation, listen to new ideas, and facilitate rather than stifle communication. It would be nice if the company lived its stated core values (Regeneron 5) rather than the values being a running joke. It's amazing how fast we can move drugs through the pipeline but how slow we are when it comes to addressing employee concerns.

Fast Growing Company with an overall friendly attitude

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rensselaer, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upwardly bound company. Information on significant decisions are shared with employees on a regular basis. Opportunity to communicate questions / concerns available to Sr. Management readily available.

Cons

Fairness is weak during review process. Must be with company 12 months before able to apply for other positions within company.

Mid-level Management should be required to take HR training and learn the skills necessary to interact and guide subordinates effectively, professionally, and fairly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work in

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The salaries were recently increased in the research area. The facility is nice and reasonably new.

Cons

The review system and promotions result in a lot of negativity. The point system really relates to how many years in that position rather than how well you work. The promotions are mostly done by time in the position also meaning that those that perceive themselves as hard-workers get de-motivated.

Ways to identify harder workers or those who go above and beyond would improve moral.
    A change in the promotion system is required.

Great Company!

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working here for less than a year and the people are helpful and create a good working environment

Cons

More communication is needed but overall great company

Stimulating, high paced

Former Employee - Staff Scientist  in  Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great science, fantastic minds, strong drive

Cons

Too lean at times, planning sacrificed to feverish momentum.

Communication

Great industry experience for coming right out of college/grad school.

Current Employee - Research Associate I  in  Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The science is definitely innovative
    - Higher management puts effort in getting to know employees
    - Fast-paced environment
    - Relative ease of communication

Cons

- For the physical amount of energy put into projects/experiments, little recognition is given
    - Obvious cultural divide
    - Learning curve is expected to be met quite quickly while hitting a ceiling is just as fast
    - Lack of respect for time
    - Fast growth of company seems to be taking a hard hit in terms of program management capabilities

- For some people, talking in a different language may make it easier to communicate, but there has to be a limit (i.e. managers conversing in a different language to certain employees does not seem professional)
    - Need to spread projects better and create more realistic time frames instead of projects assigned yesterday due the day before yesterday - address respect for a person's time
    - Accountability for projects that require higher priority (i.e. group members regardless of seniority should be held accountable and held to higher expectations)

Big Pharma - Big Fail

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

The salaries are decent and the benefits are good. You could get lost for hours and nobody would never know you went missing. Nice facility and the building has a shuttle to and from Metro-North. You can always find free food from some lunch meeting (that's if you like picked-over food.)

Cons

The company doesn't have their act together. Agenda's aren't produced for meetings until 5 minutes prior to start time. If you're an Admin, don't consider this your job life. The assistants are treated like garbage. Very slow interview process.

Get a better dental plan; it's amazing how all the other benefits are good but the dental is the worst. Managers should go through a training program. Everyone should be treated equal, it's amazing what people get away with working there.
    Work/Life balance is promoted here. However, you figure out that doesn't exist after being an employee within the first five minutes.

Good company, flexible culture!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Tarrytown, NY (US)

Pros

Great culture, lots of parties, and great stock options.

Cons

Sometimes management can be tricky.

More trainings for managers to become leaders. They are great at their work, but not always at leading the group.

Ophthalmology Intern

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals

Pros

The overall working atmosphere is great, worked with some highly intelligent people, very enthusiastic about teaching you. The company throws many events to improve morale as well as reputation.

Cons

Working with chemicals and animals, there is some risk involved. Also while most of the people there are great, there are some that aren't but that's something you find in every place.

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Photos

Worked for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!