Regis Corporation
www.regiscorp.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros:
  • "Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Minimum wage as a base salary with no chance of reaching a decent commission rate"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

the ups and downs at regis chattanooga

Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood job descent pay overtime if wanted

Consfavoritism back stabbing and low leadership skills

Advice to Senior Managementdon't let the employees tell you what they are or not going to do because of classification

Nice people, bad company

I worked at Regis Corporation

ProsThe technical staff was very friendly and easy to work with. They want to do a good job. The company provides free lunch food though many employees go out.

ConsManagers did not hesitate to lie. They used software illegally. The CEO receives a large bonus that does not depend on how well the company does.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire, don't fire, the people who understand the business.

Corporate leaders need to work a day in the salon

Stylist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI really do not have many positive things to say anymore...new policies and protocols in recent months have really impacted the overall working experience here

ConsWhere to start?
poor commission pay, expensive benefits, no incentive for long term employees, not enough staff, turning away clientel, optimized scheduling worst idea ever for walk in salons, poor management if any at all, micromanagement from higher ups, no set schedule for stylists with clientel, working every weekend, no accomadations or flexibilty with scheduling, unsafe working conditions, ect....ect...

Advice to Senior ManagementCome into some salons, stand behind a chair, work alone in a salon...just for one day....Improve the scheduling system because all the market analysis and research you did was a waste of time figuring out your new "optimized scheduling"...it doesnt work in a walk in salons..You will never generate new business by having one stylist on shift, turning 15 to 20 people a shift away because of long wait times...LISTEN to your stylists as we are the ones working hard making YOU money!! Give some better incentives to work for you because after 10 years of this nonsense (as a manager and stylist) Im ready to walk WITH my clientel that I earned and brought into YOUR business!

Fun Environment, stressful upper management.

Stylist (Former Employee)

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

ProsRegis owns many concepts, so there is a variety of salons that you can transfer to throughout the company and world. Continuing education is great when provided.

ConsMany concepts have a quantity far out ways quality sort of practice. Even when speed is not specifically stated in job requirements. Average pay for the same position in the same City is $3-4 lower than comparable business. Only promotions available require moving to commission before being considered. Benefits are nearly equal to paying for private personal insurance. Laws are often overlooked and those who point out the mistakes so improvements can be made find themselves with less hours and far less leeway than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the quality of the services being rendered rather than how fast a customer is moved out of the salon. More strongly enforce area supervisors following labor and discrimination laws.

On a downward spiral.... Future employees Beware!!

Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOffers lots of opportunities for advancement. Opportunity to build and create relationships with people that work at the HO and in other states.

ConsRegis used to be a family based company. It provided hardworking people growth opportunities. Since the addition of new CEO in 2012 things have gone south. They have laid of long term field staff, whole departments, and salon employees. These come without any prior notice. They promise employees better paying jobs, better incentives, and more opportunities for advancement. None of these are ever full-filled. They always expect and want more but never provide the resources to make it happen!! Rarely are you provided with feedback on performance improvement. Currently they are again restructuring! I say again because they had a restructure in 6/2012.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say something then do it! If you make it a priority to "be the employer of choice" then be the employer of choice. Cutting costs isn't about hiring unqualified people for jobs to pay them less.

A company that cannot find its way, used to be a much better place to work.

Edina, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA lot of nice and talented people, though fewer now. There are not a lot of pros here anymore

ConsSr. Management as of 2013 is extremely short sited. Things must change, but this isn't the way to do it. Management keeps corporate staff in the dark much of the time. Rather than blame current state of company on past management team, they seem to blame the corporate staff. People are realizing that not only are the benefits horrible, so are salaries. Most people are looking to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in staff at HQ

Fun place to work if you don't need to make much money

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was an easy going place. Love the people I worked with and the clients. Had lots of fun.

ConsYour commission is %40. yes you can make 45% and 50% but it's hard because you share the work with so many other workers. 40% is a complete rip off.

Awesome place to start or even rebuild a loyal clientele. Great opportunity for stylist who is just starting.

Master Stylist and Nail Technician (Former Employee)
Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay scale. Continued education. Freedom to schedule your own appointments. Products, chemicals, and nail supplies are all provided.

ConsMall Hours, working Sundays and a lot of holidays. Late hours, as well as having to work your scheduled shift even if you have no appointments.

Upper Management is been very helpful

Salon Manager (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsSo far been happy with everything

ConsNothing yet to become a major concern

Advice to Senior ManagementA better Compensation & Benefits , look at the Company overturn rate . In this type of business you need to keep your good employees . Thats is how you make the Company more successful !

Run the other way!

Hair Stylist (Former Employee)
Acworth, GA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a good place to get experience because you encounter all hair types.

ConsPretty much everything else. Pay is crap- the more you work, the less you make! They are not interested in a stylist with talent...get them in and get their money. Does not matter if the customer leaves looking a hot mess.

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Regis Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan. All 182 reviews are posted anonymously by Regis Corporation employees.