Regis Corporation

Updated 17 October 2014
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 22 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a good place to work, it's all going downhill quick with no end in sight.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It used to be a friendly environment, you could come to work and enjoy for the most part being there. We had good hours and it wasn't as stressful.

Cons

You can tell this company is going down or at least bankrupt, we all feel the tension. They wan't you to be robots and pay you nothing, squeeze all the juice out of you and the client. Rules are being changed constantly so much that you can barely keep up anymore, even clients are noticing.It's not a good place to work at least not anymore unless something changes drastically.

Why don't you try to make the stylist happy so we can make the client happy? It trickles down, if we are happy the client will be happy. We can only pretend or put on a fake smile for so long...

First Choice should be your last choice!

Current Employee - Hairdresser in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hairdresser in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The clients and colleagues. The option to cash in vacation time yearly. That is about it....not much here!

Cons

The pay (minimum wage with a wage freeze). The District Leaders are all about their little fiefdoms. Recently some of the salon managers were promoted up. Unfortunately they choose the laziest, most immature ones to hire. Our D/L sits on her butt pretending to do work on the computer. What she is really doing is trying not to do clients (like her job description says she should be doing). We are reprimanded for the stupidest things. This leaves the staff demoralized and upset. Not once are we praised for hard work, sales goal achieved, or simply for a nice haircut. There are no rewards for the stylist. When they do offer incentives, they are things like a flat iron for the salon or something worthless to us. Not one iota of thanks for holding the company up. If it weren't for us...there would be no First Choice Haircutters. Thank God for our clients...this is the ONLY reason I am still here...but not for long.

Remember who makes the dollars for you. US. To the President....how do you sleep at night?

Lots of Opportunity for Employees

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

The company is open to new ideas and there are lots of opportunities to be challenged

Cons

The business has seen sales declines for the past handful of years, but the new management team is working hard to reverse the trend and create long term sustainable growth

Good starting place

Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Council Bluffs, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Council Bluffs, IA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great if you do not have a clientele.

Cons

Low wages, almost impossible to move up with the company

Franchised Beauty

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for Regis there is a lot of growth opportunity to build clientle and the 6hour shifts are just enough.
    I like the incentives for stylist that push us to work harder.

Cons

The pay isn't enough to live off of.
    The chaotic atmosphere of managerial duties and salon duties (why is doesn't the salon manager have an office or at least a filing cabinet?)
    Not having a receptionist limits the stylist while they're working, having to keep stepping away from a client.

Understand that Regis salons is a brand that has returning guests and it should be ran as such and not as a cruise ship salon or a smart-style salon (although in the same brand).
    Better payment plans
    maybe based off experience

Struggling Company Trying to Turn Things Around

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Edina, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Edina, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Regis is a fine company that has become bloated over the years with greatly increased costs. The company has recently changed the vast majority of senior management that appears to be trying to right the ship. Unfortunately we have not yet seen this turnaround, but the outlook seems to be more hopeful.
    -Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance.
    -Very friendly employees.
    -Room to advance, but requires a lot of self-motivation.

Cons

-Struggling company means low benefits.
    -Old systems cause constant issues.

Get rid of silly stuff like free food and increase salaries to attract new talent.

Great company with a lot of potential

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A big little company so individual contribution is visible

Cons

No strategic direction or direction keeps changing
    Management keeps changing
    Not stable

Change the IT department

Used to be fun to work at, not anymore.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance benefits, you pay some of it, if you work enough hours. Flexible with schedule.

Cons

Cutting down on salon expenses. Hiring too many part time stylists. Have to share stations. Had 8 stylists when I started, now there's 16! Hires stylists without any knowledge of skills. Don't have cleaning crew anymore and salon looks dirty. They used to provide your tools, blow dryers, etc. Now you have to earn incentive points, which seem harder to get now. They want to focus on how many people you can get in and get out instead of focusing on your service sales. Don't get retail commission if your under $300 for the month. Just not fun anymore. Lacking teamwork. After more than 10 years I am looking for new salon to work at.

Treat stylists with more respect, fairness, and recognition. Top stylists are always the first to leave.

No say for the front line...

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

Product and service discounts, great co workers, flexibility ...honestly, not much else.....I can't even write 20 words to fill this space.

Cons

Company has gone through 3 restructures, poor decisions made by promoting non business educated or trained field staff. Company continuing to lose money on patch work while take more and more away from its hard working front line staff. There is no growth, just people leaving.

Focus on the Home Office staff and strengthen moral. Once this is fixed, this will trickle down to the salon level.

Incentives Do Not Countermand Dodgy Ethics and Employee Relations

Former Employee - Stylist in Castle Rock, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Stylist in Castle Rock, CO (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally friendly staff in most locations

Middle and lower management typically very accommodating

First year stylists will easily build interpersonal communication skills

Monthly contests render decent prizes and participation incentives

Price point dictates constant demand despite any economic shifts

Cons

Near-minimum wage to start and little to no chance of increased remuneration.

While friendly, staff does not subvert the industry tendency toward the immature and unmotivated.

Internalized education is geared toward high volume, low quality production trains stylists to develop very poor techniques within their craft.

Lower management is too busy with a high volume of patrons to complete basic duties.

Middle management is severely limited in power by upper management restrictions and lack of lower management accountability.

Upper management is rarely present on location and can typically by contacted only within a narrow time window and by middle management.

Payroll and HR can only be reached by middle managers, all issues called in to payroll and HR by regular employees are redirected back through middle management or ignored.

Scheduling is very haphazard; shifts are assigned randomly week by week. Seven to nine day streaks are not atypical. New scheduling optimization creates split shifts that span up to twelve hours.

Work week is defined as Monday through Sunday so, for example, working nine days straight from Wednesday through Thursday typically will yield no overtime compensation.

Legally mandated lunch breaks were rarely able to be taken and, when taken were continuously interrupted. Co-workers and middle management pressure one another constantly to not take said breaks.

No upward mobility. Almost all positions above lower management and staff education are filled permanently or are not filled from within the company.

Resigned voluntarily with three weeks' notice and vacation pay was not received with final paycheck on the next payday per Colorado law. After a second payday passed, contacted middle management and found that termination papers had still not yet been filed a month after the last day worked. Still unpaid, I'm told it will be another 15 days before the check is deposited.

Allow lower management more time off the salon floor to complete paperwork, deal with internal affairs, and resolve customer relation issues.

Trust middle management's efficacy more, and promote from within. Current upper management tends to be little more than an obstacle.

Regis Corporation Photos