Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
257 reviews filtered by

Had a great salon manager, but horrible co workers and district manager and pay was questionable.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

Great salon manager that was willing to help me learn as I was just getting my cosmetology license.

Cons

Co workers didn't want new stylists being hired in. District manager was rude and down right cruel.
    Pay checks were always off and questionable.
    Never knew when I was scheduled to work.

Advice to Management

Don't fire stylists after only being out of school. Come up with a program for new hires that allows them to grow and develop technique.

2. Great company most of the time (uk)

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really love working for regis. I have been an employee for 6 and a half years.
    great career progression, you can go into management, education and also the creative team. Good training courses and a lot on offer. Also train managers in HR these days.
    Most salons tend to be in good busy locations do lots of walk in guests.

Cons

Unrealistic targets for comission.
    Goal post gets changed for monthly bonus.
    wage for managers are very low compared to othe companies.
    Use to get a lot of incentives where you could win holidays and gadgets, don't do this now due to cit backs.
    staffing tends to be tight in each salon so can be a nightmare when organising holidays.
    have to rely on tips and comission to boost your wage.

Advice to Management

Make it the way it used to be.
    Review managers pay when they ask, I've not had a pay rise in 5 years when I know the senior management have.
    Some salons needs to be invested in and refurbished

3. Its a good place to start off but not a lot of room for growth

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

alot of walk ins
    tips
    good coworkers

Cons

hard to get a race

A continuosly sinking company

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

The stylists i worked with were great and we worked well together as a team, no thanks to corporate or upper management

Cons

I worked for a Regis salon for 2 years before i was terminated for what the company perceived as wrong doing. Regis is now attacking individual stylists using scare tactics via corporate phone calls that corner stylists, making them feel their job is secure if they go along with what they're saying. They set up a payment plan for the stylists according to what the company calculates they lost due to discounted services and special circumstances that corporate has no concern about as many of them know nothing about hair. As soon as they have you make a downpayment on the plan they had you sign along with your bank or credit card number, you will be
    suspended for a couple of days and terminated a couple of days later and ordered to pay.
    By the way, if you find yourself in that situation, do not sign anything or answer their interrogation, because it's all bogus until you sign. You will not be keeping your job any way you look at it if you get on a corporate call with a leader present.
    We were a salon of 8, they did this scare tactic to myself and the manager of the salon and 7 of us left along with our clientelle because the environment became too unbearable work in. Because of the way the company went about things, they took a salon that consistantly reached 98% of service and product goals and took it down to zilch.
    This company is great to work for if you enjoy an environment where you're made to feel like you'll never do anything right by upper management and love working for low pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

Grow up, start appreciating your stylists, look for another job...i've read plenty of reviews about Regis and nobody at any level is safe or secure in their position.
    For corporate: you better start trying smarter tactics to earn your bottom dollar before you run every salon into the ground and nobody has a job

The company makes you feel not good enough.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ONLY pro is if your right out of beauty school and want more training then it's offered (yet im still to see that)

Cons

They make it impossible to get a raise. Always telling you it's there and if you want it bad enough you will hit the numbers. ( which you can work 7 days a week and 12 hour shifts and still not come close)
    You can work as hard as you possibly can and still be told your not doing enough.
    The hours are not good but would be exceptable if you were getting paid good.
    Learn what you can and move on!!!

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Their loyal and they bring you money but everyone comes to a point when being lied to and unappreciated just simply takes its toll on a person!

Horrible.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

There are nice coworkers suffering the same as you.

Cons

hmmmm where do I start...
    1. The pay SUCKS. 350$ a paycheck when I'm bringing 1,300+ in service sales?! How is that even fair?! I can't live off that?! I worked 2 jobs and still had to get food stamps to keep myself going. God for bid you went over 30 hours they had a cow! Not to mention the more hours you have the suckier your pay per hour is. If I ever saw a person from the company headquarters come in my salon I would make them NEVER want to work for Regis ever again, using a very not nice choice of vocabulary.
    2. Blackout days. You mean after I worked for your crappy company for a year and earned my vacation time, I can't take it anytime I want?July 3rd is blackout. No fourth of July vacation. Forget about visiting relatives out of state on Christmas, BLACKOUT.
    3. Fridays and Saturdays. I'm 19, and not once since I've started did I get a Friday or Saturday night off since I started a year and a half ago. Surely this would be the managers crappy discretion. But seriously? You think its fair to make me close EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY DAMN WEEKEND OF MY LIFE.
    4. WIG. I can't stand it. You seriously want me to track every time I reccomend a product. Or every time I capture an email? I'm sorry but I'm too busy WORKING to worry about stupid stuff like that. How the hell am I supposed to remember how many people I've mentioned product

moral of the story is, I'm so glad I put my two weeks in. I'm sick of working my butt off and getting nothing in return. If the salon isn't busy, say goodbye to your paychecks. I feel like I got paid more at McDonalds than I did here. If I have to bust my butt working two jobs and still need assistance to put food in my mouth this obviously isn't the right place to be. Maybe if you have a super rich boyfriend that pays for everything for you, but if you are out on your own with no help, then forget about even considering going shopping for yourself. This job sucks and I'm so glad I will no longer be a part of their failure company.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and realize what you are doing to people. Karma will get you. I hope all the money youre getting paid to sit on your butt and unfairly pay and make rules for an industry you know nothing about was worth it. People quit hirdressing after working for this place. Congrats on being scams and making people hate their profession.

I love working for regis

Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible work schedules

Cons

The cons are what you make them.

Advice to Management

Some of the reviews on this site pertaining to our company are false. I have been with regis 8 years and have moved up in the company. Any job especially in the hair industry is what you make it. There is alot of competition. You need to be above the rest. Slandering your company is not going to solve anything, it's just going to cost you business. If you are dissatisfied with your current position then do something about it instead of complaining and tearing down your place of employment. If it's as bad as you say, you look like a fool for staying. These reviews are false, and are by disgruntled employees.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Manager in State College, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in State College, PA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work especially gaining experience, an easy place to promote within the company if you are qualified. Some flexibility on scheduling depending on Manager. Never ending supply of customers if you are at a good store w/good visibility. Opportunity to make as little or as much money as you are willing to actually put in.

Cons

You are a number at a number, "black out" dates for vacations and time off, evenings and weekends, not feeling appreciated, could have a horrible experience on immediate manager, being at a location or being the "front lines" when changing teams that had a prior negative team or poor stylists. At the end of the day you are paying for yourself to work there and its all a numbers came.

10. a company that doesn't really care

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

working with great co-workers, the relationships with Guests,

Cons

2 words, UPPER MANAGEMENT. They are the puppets of a manipulative company. They make the empty promises of a "lucrative business". While Brainwashing them, only to brainwash their managers and employees. They try to make cheating people, the policy in the fine print. They don't care about the customers or stylist. Even though they should. They need to start realizing the stylist are their front women, and men. The future of their company, If it wasn't for the stylists, they wouldn't be were they are today. Even though they are running the company into the ground. The higher ups of company only thinks of the stylist as, "They just sell Shampoo". But the stylists are and do so much more. But the company doesn't care. They don't give the stylist the credit they deserve. The stylists are the ones Creating relationship with the guests, and then the company says the customers are not the stylists. When the customers come back for the stylists. B/c when a stylist leaves, their clients go with them. The stylists are the ones working their butts off behind the chair and yet they get NO positive appreciation. The company only focuses on the bad more then the good. So then, when it is time to get rid of a stylist, they can write in on their form. That they didn't do this, they didn't do that. They had poor attendance, when they probably only missed two days in the time they worked there. And that their performance was poor. When it wasn't, The company just sets ridiculous goals. This insuring that the company has money in their pockets. Prevents the stylist from making more money. Just so they don't have to pay out more to a stylist. Thats why The company makes the pay scale unattainable. Putting out sales on product and services, making it hard to hit their goal and commission. Because the amounts are so low. It's all about getting bodies in the salon. All Customers are to the company, is a number for their daily quota. Oh, and dollar signs. If they marketed better, the company would have growth. But they don't want to spend money to make money, they only want to make money and be selfish with it. They have changed for the worst. Like, Stylist can't share any of their work, to grow themselves. Show potential clients what they can do Gaining the company more numbers. They want to own everything that you do. Also, clients can't discuss who does their hair and where. It is considered soliciting to post your work online. Also, they consider a stylist is stealing form the company, When a stylist uses too much shampoo on a client or doesn't charge a $1 for using conditioner. Or not charging full price for a service. Ridiculous. They don't get that the way they treat their stylist makes their business better, Reliable, loyal. Their customer's like consistency. Seeing their favorite stylist, will bring them in and keep them there. But the more turn over the companies salons keep having, the more the customer's no longer trust the company knows how to operate or keep their stylist's happy. Which makes the customers unhappy. It's not what the stylist can do for the company, its what the Company can do for the stylist to make work better and more productive.

Advice to Management

Pull their heads out of you greedy butts! And give credit were credit is due. Stop focusing on what you are and do better with what you could be. A respectable company.

Stylist hair

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Monaca, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Monaca, PA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

If met alot of co worker, that I like

Cons

They are not a fair company, its a mimum wage employer..

Advice to Management

Raise your pay rate, treat your employees employee's fair

Regis Corporation Photos