Regis Corporation

Updated 31 January 2015
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad at the end

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Marys, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Marys, PA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None, since they made so many changes.

Cons

No challenges, don't expect to have a life, not loyal to you, you are just a number

Regis went downhill when they hired the new CEO, and got rid of the other one. You want to cut your expenses, then start with all of the bosses, you don't need 4 bosses over a manager. Why, because a manager can do it all, which they already do. Customers should not be called guests, why, because guests that visit you do not pay. Your conference calls done wkly and monthly meetings are a waste of time to a manager when they hear the same old same topic every time, moving forward . You take them off the floor to go to these meetings, when they are making you money by doing services. When we decide to quit because we had enough, your not only losing employees, your losing there relations, and there friends that use to go to the salons where they worked at. We are talking about there relations and all of there friends that live in different states as well. So much for your MOT, and don't expect when you throw all of your different store brands together as one group, that they will get along because they won't , we are all trying to make enough money to just survive.

Came in on fire and now just sparking.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Collierville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Collierville, TN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with and my regular clients.

Cons

Minimum wage in Tn. is $7.25 an hour so that is all i make. Other states have a higher minimum wage but Regis does not pay fairly across the board. Also the salon I work in is in desperate need of updating, fixing, and a major overhaul.
    The company is not very clear about their commission rates, education is not good at all, and too much emphasis is placed on retail sales. Forget about benefits, you will never work enough hours to ever have any.

$12 an hour straight across the board and you would have a booming business. Better education than just sending a DVD for the employees to watch in a cramped back room.

I am a stylist for a MasterCuts

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

all the stylists I work for are very nice

Cons

Little pay, Don't expect tips to be great...Most of the GUESTS (as we're told to call them), don't want to pay $3 extra dollars for a shampoo,so do you think the tip is gonna be good if any! I agree with what others say about benefits too.
    Way too expensive & unless you end up with a major surgery bill. It's not worth it.
    We don't work 40 hrs. as so as it is,and now our hrs. have been getting cut! Everyone always had to work on Saturdays...Now we're getting asked,"Who wants one off"?
    Sounds to me that the place is sinking!

The stylists are the ones that are making your money...pay them more...we need a boost. Give out raises. That sliding pay scale isn't enough. Coupons & discounts are fine for the GUESTS...,but it sucks for us, We should get the credit for the full price of the service,not for the price with the discount. So you give to the Guests & take away from us!!

Doesn't really recognize employee experience

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A nice, creative environment, and the co-workers are great on a salon level. Hours are flexible and salon managers are often promoted from within.

Cons

Pay is pretty low, which wouldn't be too bad if tips were good. However, you really have to rely on a busy salon, which most aren't busy enough to make great tips, and therefore you have to build a great clientele to make money. Also, in later years, the company sells to value their employees less, and make the stylists do more for less money.

Have more incentives to keep stylists happy-it really translate to more profit for the company. Also, offer more than a potential 35 cent raise a year- it takes more than three years just to make a dollar more.

Deceitful about wages

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It gives some experience, the training was very educational and the instructor was great! If she would have been my boss I would have stayed!

Cons

You do not get a percentage of your services until you pass the minimum wage cap which ends up being over $25 in services per hour, which you have to maintain every time you work. Some employees allow home life to disrupt work and made for an extremely uncomfortable work environment.

Unfair management, always working weekends, unappreciated, low pay, terrible business ethics

Current Employee - Stylist in Watsonville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Watsonville, CA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

There is nothing that comes to mind.

Cons

Lets start off with management because thats one of the biggest problems with this corporation, the management here is so shady ive worked in 7 different stores all but one was the manager pleasant to work for. I often felt as though there was so much tension between hair stylist and managers that even the customers would feel uncomfortable there , it results in hairstylist building clientele as fast as they can and leaving to a better work environment.
    Also understand working here means no weekends off ever unless you are the manager or friends with the manager, this also adds to a hostile work environment.
    Then the pay... the numbers are ridiculous of revenue collected in a month at most stores they can afford to pay more then minimum but this company does not care about the stylist so they pay you as low as your state will allow ,if Supercuts had it their way they would be paying you in beans. Sure you get tips, but because of the clientele the Supercuts draws in because if its chinsy demeanor you often get stiffed. And the "sliding pay scale" thats a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. No one I have ever met has slid a substantial amount the most ive ever heard was 30 cents.

Care for your stylist, they are the core of this operation.

The Road from Proud to Discontented

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Friendly people, work/life balance, food stocked kitchens, free coffee, Minnesota spring, summer and fall. If you are interested in settling for complacency without any opportunity for career growth, this is your organization.

Cons

Minnesota winters...seriously...the last 6+ yrs have been extremely frustrating with multiple reorganization efforts, change in leadership, too many lay offs to count both at Salon Support and in the field. For as long as I can remember, leadership has been talking about turning Regis into an Employer of Choice...I have come to learn that this is just what it has been....talk only. There is absolutely no career track in corporate and in fact, nearly all promotional opportunities are extended to outsiders...There seems to be a general philosophy to ignore talent within while filing new opportunities with talent from the outside. Keeping in mind that the "outside" really means who you know...Upper management is bringing in their own people. There is talent at corporate who are not taken seriously. Thus, many experienced, well educated and deserving employees have voluntarily taken their skills elsewhere. Kudos to them.

Take stock in your employees. Give them credit for what they do and what they know. An occasional lunch outing is great, but does not replace any opportunity to be challenged and grow.

Loyal to themselves

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule - That's about it

Cons

Goals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Get in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Busy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

Cons

Pay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

To Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Former Management

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Place to start out

Cons

The pay rate is not the best

Regis Corporation Photos