Regis Corporation

Updated 31 January 2015
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of room for improvement if Upper Management would just LISTEN!!

Current Employee - Stylist (Former Manager)
    Current Employee - Stylist (Former Manager)

I have been working at Regis Corporation (more than 8 years)

Pros

High traffic, great guests, supplies equipment

Cons

Low commission pay scale, under staffed, working alone, turning away business due to lack of help, high turn over, poor management, favoritism, no floor mats (which is a big deal!), unfair scheduling, no education for new stylists, poor communication, no appointments for Senior/Master Stylists (guest complaints) and lack of open door policy

Open up the lines of communication and listen to your managers and stylists. There are so many simple and common sense ideas we have that can help fix the lack of profit. Walk In Only Salons need new innovative ideas to help maintain our guest counts like master stylists booking appointments while newer staff gains clientel by taking walk ins.

District Leader

Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked closely and made positive impact in my staff and vice versa.

Cons

Corporate has little understanding of how field operations work. They expect fuels leadership to do hair AND "run" up to 8 managers. Read their recent "earnings call" transcripts and you'll realize they have little understanding how to deliver a best in class experience to anyone but their corporate salaries.

Get out of Illinois and the northern states when you do field research. Creating new positions for million dollar salary heads is NOT going to turn your earnings call in a new direction. You recently castrated your field leadership by expecting them to lead multiple units while maintaining the production standards if a high producing stylist. Very interesting concept since no one up in Edina has worked a single hour behind the chair much less know how to do hair. Yet you laid off all your non-technical field leadership. Hmmm, hypocrites maybe?

Company has potential, but doesn't invest enough in front-line employees

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Many salons will hire you with little experience, which is a great way to get into the cosmetology industry, because many private salons will not even give you a chance. For Smart Style salons, the walk-in traffic you have access to is wonderful for those who do not have an established clientele.

Cons

The amount of pay you receive is laughable for an adult that has taken the time to go to school for a cosmetology license. The wage is hourly minimum wage or commission percentage of services, which ever is greater at the end of the pay period. Commission starts low at 38%. You do have the opportunity to earn more ( I received a 5% raise after meeting a particular amount of sales standards), but since many stores don't allow their employees to be true full-time employees (35-40 hrs), you still end up making a very low wage.

Pay stylists what they are worth. They are on the front lines directly facing your customers and without them, you wouldn't have a company. This would prevent the massive amount of turn over the company experiences, making for a much more stable business. The customers can sense the instability very well.

Flexible hours but pay sucks

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Colonial Heights, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Colonial Heights, VA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like my job but cannot afford much with the pay I make. Health insurance cost too much for what we make in pay. Health insurance doesn't pay out much either. Benefits include 401 K but no matching. Regis stock they match but if you take them up on all the benefits you dont even get enough money on your check to survive.

Cons

Pay sucks! Lots of drama between coworkers. No organization. Incentive programs that really don't motivate you. Morale is down.I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher.plus any tips you get taxes come out of your check on them and then after benefits you have like a 200.00-300.00 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks. It doesnt even cover my rent.

none

Salon Manager

Former Employee - Salon Manager
    Former Employee - Salon Manager

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Cons

no follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Listen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Great employees and fun place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and fun place to work. Plus free lunch and great snack days.

Cons

Pay is low. Benefits cost a lot. No 401K match

Add 401K, add other perks

Not sure what will happen

Current Employee - District Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - District Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a full time job. It is nice that some owner isn't breathing down your back.

Cons

Extremely low wage. A lot of stress, and responsibility for the work load. They expect you to do 3 jobs, Manager, Stylist & District Leader for little money. As part of the field management team, it is hard to find & keep good employees when wages are so low.

There are a lot of long time employees that have been at a wage freeze for YEARS. You should pay your employees better. They feel unappreciated. It is really hard to survive here with what you get paid. Even the DL pay is below the poverty line.

They're trying really hard...

Current Employee - Several Positions In Several Departments in Edina, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Several Positions In Several Departments in Edina, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This review is for the corporate office, Salon Support, in Minnesota.
    Regis has been in a state of flux for about 3 years now. We have had 3 CEOs, 2 CFOs, a few COOs, two restructures of the entire salon and field operation, 2 large lay-offs, a false start on developing a field HR structure, and a complete re-do of our salon technology. But the company is now starting to tread water a little bit. They realized that all the change was incredibly stressful, and are now really taking into consideration the effects of all this change on the employees. Executive management genuinely seems to care about the employees. Regis traditionally had a very, very cynical attitude toward people, including customers (now called guests) and employees. That is turning around, and it's by far the greatest improvement I've seen in the past several years. I feel heard by the C-Suite and, as someone who deals very frequently with the field and salons, I know that I can be their voice and they will at least be considered.

The culture at Salon Support is friendly and casual. It's like a family. We have quarterly meetings with the CEO and his executive team where he gives an honest overview of the state of the company. The bosses all have an open door policy, and nobody is scared of being fired or disciplined for speaking their mind. Ideas are at least considered.

Regis is a great place to learn. The recruiters and managers do a great job of hiring a diverse bunch of experienced professionals and folks just getting their feet wet. There are no stupid questions, and nobody gets disciplined for disagreeing with management.

In most departments, schedules are flexible, time off requests are granted, etc. Most managers don't sweat being late or early, as long as the work gets done. Overtime is almost always granted as long as it's needed. Work-life balance isn't something you hear a lot about at Regis, because coming to work really is like going to hang out with friends while you happen to be working. That said, work-life balance as a Regis employee is fine. No complaints here.

Free lunches! There are well-stocked refrigerators with lunch meat, hummus, dressing, salad, greens, veggies, and often little surprises. It's not gourmet food, but it's nutritious. And free. The kitchens also have stocked pantries, toasters, microwaves, toaster ovens, and blenders.

There are lots of little perks like catered meetings, two huge parties (one in the summer and one in the winter), and the CEO will occasionally surprise us by calling an ice cream truck to give everyone free ice cream or arranging food trucks to park in the lot and Regis foots the bill. Last winter when the temperatures were in the negative thirties, a local auto mechanic shop was hired to patrol the parking lot and help anyone with car trouble. It's little things like that that make a huge difference.

Regis raises millions of dollars every year for breast cancer research. As a company whose main clientele is women and a huge majority of whose employees are women, this is a really big deal every year.

Cons

Sales are down. That means so is pay. Salaries don't keep up with the market. There's a 401(k) plan on paper, but there's no matching from the company. Profit sharing is nonexistent. Health insurance premiums are high, and they don't cover much. Benefits also don't cover things a lot of companies do, like fitness club reimbursements. We have been promised more lucrative pay once sales pick up, but that won't be for the next couple of years.

Sometimes corporate homogeneity trumps creativity. That can be really frustrating for creative types.

All the changes from 2012-2013 really shook people up. Morale isn't where it could be, and there are a lot of people who haven't gotten over the legitimate trauma of having a third of the workforce laid off. Things are picking up, but there is still a palpable sadness in the air sometimes.

As a monolithic company that's been running lean for a couple of years, the people on the bottom rungs of the ladder (the people who also happen to be the ones selling our products and services and actually making money for the company) often don't know who to turn to when they need help. Communication from Salon Support doesn't trickle down to the salon staff like it should, and the leanness in field management and at Salon Support means that those of us who are meant to support the salon employees are stretched too thin to give stellar service to them. That's very regrettable.

Because the Regis Old Guard wasn't really into people development (we didn't have an HR department until 2012, and didn't have a head of HR until December, 2013), there aren't a lot of lower-level employees fit for promotion. That means the new guard has had to recruit externally or rely on job changes of people already in management and professional level positions to fill those roles. That has left a lot of bottom-rung corporate employees feeling stuck and burnt out and not seeing any promotions on the horizon. That's caused a not insignificant number of people to leave for other companies.

Beef up staffing just a bit. Most departments could do with one or two more people to make them run efficiently.

Regis has always been behind the times in operations and technology. Stop relying on "best practices" and technology that was cutting edge a few years ago. Even the newest upgrades and practices are dated. You run a world class company. Start innovating instead of following.

Start investing in company culture, diversity, and talent and stop looking at that sort of thing as a luxury that you can't afford. It's going to be the only way to turn the company around.

Lack of room to move

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Flexible work areas, salon benefits

Cons

No ability to move, management feels like looking down

Company is in a Bad Direction

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees out in the field do a great job and work so hard to be effective and offer great servicel! Love the enthusiasm and caring that they bring to work everyday.

Cons

This used to be a company that cared about what it actually served.

The success of Regis over the years has been built on holding the product and services delivered as absolutely paramount – ultimately by people that were connected to the end product and truly invested in delivering good service. Owner, executives and middle-management supported and nurtured this directive in a way that really brought it all together and it worked.

Today, Regis is more about stock value…. without any value or attention paid to the core product. Getting people in the door will never improve until this is changed.

Over the last three years the new board has stripped the fundamental core value of what made Regis a leader in this industry for decades. The fundamental base of knowledge and expertise that Regis once had regarding the core service of haircare and beauty is now greatly diminished. Which is not a surprise, since most all of the employees that truly understood (and cared about) the industry were fired or laid off.

Regis' "new" strategy over the last 3 years had been to not only retrace former mistakes by delving into overly bloated executive salaries (check them out, they are public), it has moved in the direction of relying on executives that couldn't care less about the product served. Taking weeks to make a decision of any sort and ultimately bloating the middle-to-upper management structure even further.

Hire a few management professionals that actually know and care what good haircare is all about. Ditch the followers … in both upper and middle-management.

Reward your stylists and employees out in the field – they are the ones that make the difference.

Regis Corporation Photos