Rent-A-Center

Updated 23 January 2015
2.4

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 45 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 39 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 92 reviews)

More Highlights

An OK experience the 2nd time there

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

When they had the accounts, times were good. Some OT but not excessive. A fairly relaxed atmosphere. Limited opportunities for advancement or growth. Compensation was OK. Health Insurance became expensive.

Cons

Upper level management in service failed to acquire new service accounts from outside vendors. They ran off the new accounts they got in 2006 by raising their rates too high. Service techs bore the brunt of the work slow downs. Too many of us wound up using our paid time off to make up for days with no work. This company operates their service like this. Slightly over staffed and you wind up with a part time job when you start to add up the hours and your pay at the end of the year.

Your failures to grow the business resulted in a lot of heart ache for technicians.

Micromanaged and poor facilities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Made good money while employed here. Rent to own is a high stress low reward business. Owners of franchise will take care of the people (if your numbers are in line).

Cons

Long hours no life. Training needs a lot of work. Micromanaging a manager is horrible. Store in Lansing is falling apart, to small to conduct proper business for a rent to own company. Delivery truck is falling apart. Manager takes credit for everything without giving praise to those who actually accomplish goals.

Salaried employees working 60 hours a week is bad for business. Consider giving at least one Saturday a month off.

Great company to work for, until upper management stopped listening to the employee's.

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

RAC was a people company, Mission " To improve the quality of life for our customers and our employees. They gathered suggestions from employee's to make the company better and RAC threw.

Cons

They promoted upper lower management people to upper management. They did not have the experience or ability to be VP's. No one was watching the ship and they made some bad decisions. By the time they realized the mistakes Aarons was knocking at their door.

When you visit stores talk to customers, stop treating employees and ask them what needs to be done to get the business back. They have the answers! Keep your personal feeling about RAC collections procedures to yourself, this program has worked for 40 years and very time you mess with it , it costs, not only in customer loss, but also in revenue and profit. You have stopped calling fallout more times then I can remember, it does not work!

Decent

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime, good starting pay. Paid vacation. No experience needed. Everyday is different.

Cons

Work life vs home life. Bugs bugs bugs. Number based job.

None

There is opportunity for advancement at the store level. SMDP training will prepare you to work anywher. In RTO

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Great pay as well as opportunity to advance as a store manager. Corporate does not allow you to do your job on your own. The DM runs your store.

Cons

-Have to be a fast paced learner
    -Everything falls on you whether your at work or not.
    -Have to keep Sales and credit numbers at standard or above.

-Corporate needs to step back and allow managers to run their stores.

Good

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Good place to be and grow.

Cons

Lack of leadership currently in some areas.

great company but no promotion and many hours

Current Employee - Account Representative in Fredericksburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Fredericksburg, VA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Steady job during the year regardless of the weather you still have your hours and you get paid every Friday

Cons

I'm a bilingual person even though I speak Spanish they pay the same hourly rate to the person that does not....

I think managers should give to employees more incentives like bonus every month or gift cards.

My experience working with this company has been the best very open minded, courteous and respectful.

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

You should work for Rent a center because they are an advanced company where you can learn from so many different ethnicities, trainers and work ethics to create the one best fit for you.

Cons

Its very time consuming you work 9 hour shifts four days a week and one eight hour.

More room for advancement

Listen to your most valuable assets ( employees)

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the chance of working with really good people and you have the chance of working and get train in collection, sales, customer Servise and telemarketing.

Cons

There is not life and work balance. Most of the time you are working understaffed, as a result workers get over work.

Listen to your employees and treat them with respect. Promotions should be for performance not recommendations

Job was okay, but the way they deal with people varied depending on the person.

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Florence, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Florence, KY (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Didn't have to worry about hours, and pay was decent. I also liked working with the people I worked with.

Cons

My employment ended under circumstances that another employee hired the same day was worked with.

Follow a guidline in dealing with people that work in your stores.

Rent-A-Center Photos