Revel Systems Reviews

Updated 16 February 2015
44 reviews filtered by
3.4
Lisa Falzone

Great Vision from directors of company

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fastest growing company with something new every month going on which is really fun. By far one of the greatest company's I have worked for in a while. Leadership has a solid vision for the company and it shows with the latest announcements of raising 100 million and getting one of the largest companies to replace their product with Revel's product. Intuit just picked Revel for their POS system and this is just amazing in my eyes. I have seen others hating on Revel and not sure why. They are now worth half a billion dollars.

Cons

Younger crowd which brings on a lot of rumors and hence silly replies on here.
    Growing pains due to fast growth and because of that can be a bit disorganized

Advice to Management

Choose to focus on selling deeper into industries that we have already done the features for. I love how the founders sit with everyone and tell them the story of Revel when they first are hired.

Just like Office Space, but without Jennifer Aniston

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Nowhere, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Nowhere, OK (US)

I worked at Revel Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, travel, bar in the office (which you will need).

Cons

Hard to know where to begin. Took six separate interviews and over a month and a half to land the job. They could probably find a CEO in less time (which they should). My immediate manager (third one in six months), was great. One of the nicest guys I have ever worked with. CEO was clueless and immature. CTO was just plain creepy. Would not want to be left alone in a room with either one of them.

Product was extremely buggy. They hire a crack team of Romanian programmers who are constantly "improving" the product, but each improvement breaks something else that was previously working. Product is extremely complicated, frustrating and counter intuitive. Customers constantly calling support in a panic after losing thousands of dollars in receipts, and the only solution is to delete and reinstall the app.

Worked in support until I was asked to spend a week training my outsourced replacements in Manila. Was told to my face by the CEO that my job was secure, then laid off the next day. Honestly, I couldn't have been happier.

And oh yeah, like everyone says, most of the positive reviews are fake. I saw them submitting one myself when I worked at the main office. You can always tell the fake reviews because everything is spelled wrong.

Advice to Management

Why bother giving advice. They wouldn't listen anyway.

Great experience with a growing company

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel treats their employees great. Overall, there are many opportunities and the company is going at such a rapid pace.

Cons

There is a lot of technical information to learn. Less cold calling but more consultive sales which was hard for me to get used to

Advice to Management

Everything is fine just keep being adaptable

Industry leader, top startup

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Revel Systems

Pros

Best technology and business model, no real competition, amazing growth ahead

Cons

Lean staffing, typical startup growth challenges

Advice to Management

Company leading the POS industry. Technology ahead of industry, no real competition. Strong leadership from female CEO with unique vision, execution and operational skills. CTO is brilliant and can do anything, from product strategy to writing code. The founders built a real company and business from scratch and have close pulse on the business and industry. Huge deals done, with enormous growth ahead. Company transitioning from early stage to mature organization. No place to hide for mediocre people, you either perform or you fail. Wide range of opportunities for high performers (company likes to promote internally if people can do it and want to do more). Unusual combination of top investors, leading technology and strong business model. This company has the leadership and tools to expand beyond POS and control commerce.

a place that sets you up for failure

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Revel Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunches, snacks, and drinks

Cons

bad coffee. they use those pod machines that makes weak coffee. if they want everyone to come in early and work long hours, they need to supply better strong coffee.

pretty much everything all the 1 and 2 star reviewers wrote. loud, noisy and disorganized. everyone's always talking loud and over each other. if you need peace and quiet to focus on work sometimes, forget it. they actually make you feel weird if you're at your desk working and not socializing like everyone else blabbing about their love lives as most employees are young and single thus the juvenile frat-like atmosphere. the faster you work and get things done, the more work they give you without much complimenting and acknowledgement from management. expect to be assigned projects without barely any background info, directions, guidance and unreasonable deadlines as well as repercussions if you dont meet them. this place puts you in a no-win situation and sets you up for failure.

Advice to Management

treat your employees better. employees are your friends, not the enemy. without them, you cant get your job done and get the credit from executives. if you share the work and also share the credit, everyone will be happier.

Don't believe the positive reviews, they aren't real, and you do not want to work at Revel

I worked at Revel Systems

Pros

Easy commute to work, that's all I can think of.

Cons

Revel has an OK product, but it's way overpriced and their customer service is a joke. It's also somewhat buggy, and new versions don't seem to make it better. This is why they will never be the dominant player in this marketplace. There is a lot of fear in the atmosphere because everyone's afraid of being reprimanded or fired at the whim of the dictator/CTO who has the biggest ego of anyone I've known.

Advice to Management

None, you wouldn't do anything.

By far, the worst place to work...ever

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the food, which they reduced to a couple of days a week and always runs out.

Cons

Terrible leadership, insufficient pay, the reward for good work is more work. No recognition for anything. People work hard instead of taking a step back and trying to work smart.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new CEO that can actually manage the company. This place is a disaster.

Come work with very entrepreneurial people and make impact everyday – Awesome company

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are great at promoting from within if you prove yourself! As a very fast pace growing company, there is great opportunity for anyone that raises a hand to take on extra responsibility. It is a very fun place to work but people also get their work done. People who do well are extremely motivated and hungry. Revelers are fun, down-to-earth people, humble, and we have great team parties and events.

Cons

The office is about quite a commute for me so that is a draw back. Like any startup in a hot space, you must be comfortable with uncertainty. If you can't learn new features and new systems quickly it may not be a good fit. Revel is starting to feel more like a big company which is good because its becoming more structured although some departments still need more structure. Unfortunately its no longer a company where you know everyone by name.

Advice to Management

I’d love to see more career guidance and mentor-ship. I think it would be great to have more all hands meetings and more trainings. Get a bigger building as the walls are shrinking here in SF.

Great Place to Work and Excel in Career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, NM (US)

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment and culture are amazing. I’ve met some of my best friends here. The company does very interesting work. You fee like your work is relevant when you work here because of the nature of the company's work. The people are nice and down to earth. I like how it’s a real product that will help people. You learn a lot while working here.

Cons

People are assigned a lot of work and the clients are very demanding. Dealing with small business owners that are very price conscious can be difficult. Sometimes it gets very hot in the office and it can be hard to get work done when the AC is broke, but I know its being fixed.

Advice to Management

Get Air Con fixed. Raise more money so we can expand faster

Revel Systems is an amazing company against all odds.

I have been working at Revel Systems

Pros

The whole industry is copying Revel which tells me that Revel is in the lead. Join a company that is changing the way people are experiencing commerce. Vision is one of the things upper management does have. Lets think about it. They have taken the company from 0 to over 25 million in revenue. Revel is a profitable business. How many companies in the valley can say they make a profit in less then 4 years?

Cons

people that don't believe in the company are still around. Fire them faster.

Advice to Management

Hire more talented people
    Raise more money