Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members"
    in 26 reviews
  • "The work life balance is just right"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is almost zero work/ life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Smugness of senior management and no advancement if you've been a territory rep more than 5 years"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great salary / benefits / challenging culture

Senior Scientist (Former Employee)
Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent salary and benefits. At times way to political which causes people to go along for the sake of survival. Work environment improved for employees over the years to make it attractive to stay.

ConsChallenging high performance culture to an excess. Management never ever satisfied with employee performance even in years where you left it all on the field and gave till it hurt your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove middle management communication skills

Perfect opportunity for "hungry" College Grad's to kickstart their professional career

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Opportunities for upward mobility if you are willing to RELOCATE and put in the work to get there.
-Work Hard, Play Hard Company culture (if you're into that)
-Developing Talent is highly valued... this company will invest in you!
-All promotions are within the RAI talent pool (outside RAI hires are rare)
-Benefits are fairly good (Vehicle/GAS, 401K, Health/Dental).

Cons-little opportunity to be creative. Much of the work is execution and robotic based. Unfortunately, the job can get somewhat monotonous and boring.
-inconsistency at entry level manager due to inexperienced manager's. Some manager's are excellent, some are horrible. In my opinion, much of this is due to RAI's "fast-track" strategy with succession candidates.
-Some bureaucracy (like any other fortune 500).
-Work Environment is primarily at Gas Stations and Convenience Stores... not exactly a glamorous work site.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the opportunity to share new ideas, practice creativity and innovation. The Tobacco Transformation you are trying to construct may be right under your nose.

Old school mentality, openly subject non smokers to chain smokers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Reynolds American

ProsPay is okay for the area, decent tuition reimbursement, somewhat trying to grow and recognize change is needed, but need to actually act on the need for change!

ConsPoor work environment, over worked, poor training, benefits aren't NEARLY as good as they'd like you to believe. Try to scare their employees into thinking they're the only game in town and everything is the best of the best there which isn't true!

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome aware of what your competition offers or you'll continue to lose good talent!!!

Great company

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

ProsInnovative and always something to do

ConsForced to move without getting a preference

Territory Manager means Glorified Merchandiser in this Company

Territory Manager III (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are many great Pros to the job like a company car, paid personal gas and insurance, full benefits, cell phone and internet allowance. There are some pretty nice co-workers you will come across, and the freedom of not having to see a manager everyday is great. The CEO is also a very nice and down to earth guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

ConsKeep in mind that the tobacco industry is declining, but Division Managers will constantly put pressure on you to increase share for 2nd tier Camel products that are much less popular than the competition (Altria).

Cons:
1. Don't even think about career advancement, because there are barely any positions to strive for. Even if you do become a division manager after 5-10 years, you will still be going into gas stations and liquor stores for a living.
2. Going into gas stations and liquors stores everyday will frustrate you and you will often deal with hostile situations.
3. If you accept any relocation and moving bonus you will have to repay it if you leave within a year, and the company will charge you interest if you can't pay in a lump sum
4. You will not be able to use your brain at all and have to do merchandising all day (aka hanging up signs and changing signs).
5. The longer you spend in the company the more stupid you will feel. You will be out of touch with highly important skills you learn at other companies and even in excel classes at school.
6. The company hires 1.5 people per day, because there are so many dissatisfied employees. Probably 4/5 people I have come across are actively looking for new employment.
9. No real sense of team. It really does feel lonely after a while especially if you had to relocate and your closest co-worker is far away.

My advice to any college graduates or people with some sort of ambition who are on the job hunt: Skip this job and keep waiting for a better company!

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that many people are highly talented and skilled in performing job functions other than merchandising and you will stop having such a high employee turnover.

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Co: No Leadership, Bad Culture

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

ProsDecent starting salary, company car, benefits, 401k with match.

Cons1.) Treated as property; salary means "you do". No motivators outside of "we pay you".

2.) Clocking in/ out: that's right, as a salaried outside sales professional you must clock in/ out and are held accountable to making a certain number of visits per day within an 8 hour time frame. Make any more than said number (which changes quarterly, or semi-annually) and you're not making "quality calls", make any less and you're given some other watered down excuse for management.

3.) First time manager every year: "promote from within" basically means a first time manager will be learning from their mistakes, consequently effecting your career, every 1-2 years.

4.) Blatant favoritism: people who come into power easily typically have a hard time maintaining that power (see above). Promotions are not a result of hard work and industry knowledge, it comes down to filling affirmative action quotas and a fairly pathetic version of "networking".

5.) No leadership: people in power are coasting on organic growth of a niche brand.

6.) Bad Culture: it doesn't take long to see through the "generosity" of this company. SFNTC operates as the rich father who's family is falling apart because he tries to buy love and is blind to what really needs to be done.

*Extension of 6.) There is no integrity of company values. People in power do not care about sustainability or the value set behind the "image" American Spirit tries to portray to the public. The people running this company are making money from a growing niche, and "greenwashing".

Advice to Senior ManagementGut all Director level positions and start from scratch.

Okay company...

I have been working at Reynolds American

ProsGreat benefits, company car. I've had one really great manager and one really bad. So much of the job depends on who your boss is since that is your main contact.

ConsYou will have no control over where you live. Employees that want to advance are given very little say in where they are relocated to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost job openings and allow employees to apply for promotions in areas they are interested in.

great place to work

Plant Manager (Current Employee)
Tobaccoville, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Prossalary is the best in its class

Conssmell like tobacco all day

Advice to Senior Managementna

Innovative, Market Leadership, Work / Life Balance

I have been working at Reynolds American

ProsGreat people to work with, fully invested in the people, great pay and benefits

ConsTo date I cannot think of any cons. The company truly believes in the people

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great leadership

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company-Disgustingly Unethical Treatment of Employees

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMedian salary, benefits, bonus structure based on declining companies combined efforts.

ConsCompletely manipulative executive "leadership". Disgustingly unethical treatment of employees. Favoritism, cover-ups, abuse of affirmative action standards. Middle management mainly consists of people a couple years out of college who make the right "friend" and are then allowed to make their first professional mistakes off of the backs of good people, therefore very negatively affecting peoples lives. For example, creating high stress, often hostile work environments, and creating extremely high employee turn over either by termination or resignation. People don't last long here. In the last year alone, I know of at least a dozen people in one region who have left the company or been fired. There is almost zero work/ life balance. They use a "carrot" to string you along promising promotions, which is only a very manipulative trick. This is intended to fool all employees into working as if they are always on the verge of being promoted, when reality is they have a select few that will be promoted based on filling quotas that have nothing to do with their quality of work. If you expected integrity and honesty from a tobacco company, think again before applying here. Manipulation is the key word when it comes to SFNTC.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it wasn't too late, I'd say to try and regain some integrity in your management force.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reynolds American reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Reynolds American CEO Daniel M. Delen. All 220 reviews are posted anonymously by Reynolds American employees.