www.reynoldsamerican.com

Updated 19 November 2014
3.4

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen
Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members (in 33 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Such a great job!!

Former Employee - Territory Manager III
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company car is definitely a huge plus, with free gas. Your car is your office, everyday is a different. You're not stuck inside a cubicle.

Cons

Some managers tend to micro-manage

Learn some constructive criticism, be more motivating to your team.

It does not get better than RJR!

Current Employee - Trade Marketing
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive salary, great benefits, 401k match, company vehicle, work hard / play hard, certification, critical selling skills - The list goes on

Cons

Nothing I can think of other than IT issues, as the database runs very slow
    Promotions are a lot less as of late due to little turnover - Actually a positive

Continue driving the coaching culture

Good Career Starting Point

Former Employee - Territory Manager II

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can create your own schedule, autonomy, company car without personal restrictions (you do pay a fee monthly for use). 6% matching 401k plan, relaxed company atmosphere, good sales training course (CSS course). The pay is on the higher end compared to the rest of the Rep jobs out there. You can make a decent living off of a TM 3 salary if you live in an affordable location. From my understanding the job security is great. They rarely fire anyone, and pretty much the only way to get fired seems to be by falsifying calls. Although the industry does decline every year, so cuts will have to be made in the future. RJR is emerging as the leader in every category except combustibles (cigarettes) through their innovative nature. They allow and encourage true partnership building relationships. Looks good on a resume.
    You should have a pretty good work-life balance, of course if you want to receive promotions then your work life balance becomes a little more geared towards work. All of this depends on your manager as well, I was lucky to have a really good one. Some are extremely strict on scheduling, and expect 8-5 in the field, 6-8 computer work and at least 2 hours of computer work on the weekends. Good vacation policy, 17 days on your first year, and freedom to use those whenever.

Cons

This job grows ever redundant, after you’ve established your assignment; you spend most of your days twiddling your thumbs. 99% of what you’ll be doing on a day to day basis is merchandising. If you like a challenging work environment this is not it. You also spend 95% of your time in convenience stores; so the majority of your customers will likely hate their job, which makes yours more difficult. Get used to someone complaining every time you have to remerchandise a fixture. On this topic, the majority of the merchandising you’ll be doing will have very little impact on market share, my region had 2 assignments that were vacant for an extended period of time, and those ranked in the top of region (kind of puts what you do on a day to day basis in perspective).
    You can be in dangerous work environments; depending on the assignment you are given. Speaking of assignments, you have very little choice where you are relocated, and the only way to receive promotions is based on your willingness to relocate. Promotions are also very rare, in my year and a half with the company; I believe I saw 4 promotions to the Account Manager level in the entire county. When I first started the managers would claim that promotions were based on performance, they are finally starting to admit that there is a log jam in the company now, and that high performers are looking at a timeframe of around 5 years before they can move out of the territory manager role.
    The biggest con for me is how your performance is rated. There are not any metric figures to reach, or goals they expect you to achieve to get on the succession list, or to receive a better bonus rating. My peers and I after countlessly asking truly don’t have an understanding of how our performance is rated, other than all of the managers gather in a panel, and subjectively compare your performance to everyone else in your region. This process has become so frustrating to some that they’ve stopped doing the extra things, because majority of the time it doesn’t result in a higher bonus. They’ll receive the same bonus rating as someone who did the bare minimum not to get fired.

Evaluate how you rate employee’s performance. Set some metric standards for receiving high achieves and exceeds ratings, along with a standard for what you want to see in employees to reach the account manager position. I understand that in a declining industry, judging performance based upon share growth wouldn’t be effective. I understand this could be difficult, but if metric standards were set, and employees did not feel like everything was so subjective, I believe you would get better results and a higher retention span for high performers. Look at how your employees responded to the CE goal set last year. Setting reachable metric goals could drastically improve this company. Some metric goals could be call coverage, execution on new product implementation, merchandising compliance, out of stocks, etc.

Learned alot.

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great solid company to work for.

Cons

Departmental head butts. Need to work together rather then against each other.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits for area

Cons

Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth. Non transparent, the good old boy culture operating at high capacity.

Bring the team work culture back

Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Flat Rock, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Flat Rock, MI (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Independence, vehicle, bonus, and ability to make decisions.

Cons

Management is somewhat aloof to what is happening in the field. Feedback is not used, seems that advancement opportunities are limited.

Listen to the people in the field.

Great Company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well
    Allows employees to control their own territory

Cons

Can have large territories and lost of time on the road

Keep it up!!

Decent place

I have been working at Reynolds American

Pros

Work environment was ok most of the time

Cons

Working in a smaller branch, there was CONSTANT worry of whether or not your job was secure. No encouragement from supervisors to make employees feel secure.

They purchased my former company and rooted out seasoned professionals.

Former Employee - Territory Manager II

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Field sales is a great place for but kissers.

Cons

Rookies now running the show.

Grow up.

Great for someone looking for B2B experience out of college but not much more.

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unsupervised for the majority of time, Company Car, Co-Workers are all eager to help, Great Training

Cons

Constant change of strategy, Clients, Most business conducted in dangerous areas, little to no room for advancement, Tobacco Industry is in decline yet management continues to pitch "increased sales"

Change pay structure in California, Understand client sophistication level, terrible compensation program

Reynolds American Photos