Riverbed Technology

Updated 26 February 2015
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Riverbed

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a smart place to work.The way documentation is done, the design, and product all are smartly done.

Cons

None for now for me

Excellent

Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in New Delhi

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Superb Solution and Vision from the Senior Executives including CEO, COO

Cons

Low Marketing Budget which may help in creating Strong Brand and Awareness with Partners and Customer

Right time to Expand the team and Marketing budget as we have the best of Solution Mix, Expertise and Team to Make it a Bigger Success

For sure, tis is one of the best companies in the world to work for.......

Current Employee - Manager - Marketing in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Manager - Marketing in Bangalore

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Great salary, perks, stock. Excellent transparency....etc.

Cons

Sorry, yet to be identified

An Awesome Place to work at. Definitely among the top 10 best emloyers...

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing environment - fosters innovation
    - Colleagues are very helpful and are open to new concepts and ideas
    - culture of rewards based on objective data

Cons

No cons so far. Its an amazing place to work.

Best Workplace

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Team, Focussed towards their goal, excellent down-to-earth management lead by one of the best Human Beings in the IT industry Mr. Jerry Kennely

Cons

Some people have big egos which create difficult situations but who doesn't have these exceptions ?

Please continue this very good work.... Hope you continue to drive the organization for years to come to far more glory

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

Excellent technology, great opportunity

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Riverbed is full of great technology, that is being assembled into a strong portfolio of solutions. The Wan Optimization is the best, and when coupled with the Performance Management portfolio, you create a much more compelling and complete offer. Private Equity purchase will add some cash to pockets of people with Stock. The transition has great promise of success to move well past the $1B hurdle.

Cons

The market for WanOp has matured, requiring a bit more effort by the sales and product teams than in years past. Not everyone is willing to change, and that creates some issues in the transformation. Some of it is inability to change and adapt, some is just lack of desire or motivation. A cleansing rinse is in order and those ready to go to the next level with Riverbed will stay, others will leave or be left behind. This is makes for some uncomfortable environments. The lack of information on the buyout progress, the product roadmaps, future compensation/incentive programs, and anything beyond the buyout - all lead to people standing still rather than working toward a goal.

Take care of what you can now - Product roadmaps, compensation plans, quotas, etc.. give people a goal to focus on. Communication is critical. Some of the changes are dragging on too long and causing people to doubt that new management is going to be be capable of leading the change needed. I believe it will be fine, but not everyone shares my view.

A very strong company in it's market with great future. the company knows and shows it is based on the employee

Current Employee - BIS Manager
    Current Employee - BIS Manager

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

strong based company which now will be private again.

Cons

too many changes are going on in the last year after jumping to 1B dollar company

share more of how plans are about to roll out and when.

The adults are (thankfully) in charge!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I came to Riverbed after a two-year stint in a large Valley software company where chaos reigned and nothing really got done unless blood or tears were spilled. At Riverbed, I found rational people who are smart and capable, working on the stuff that matters, in an environment where people help each other and care about the quality of their work. Decisions get made, people get recognized, and everyone is treated well. I joined a GREAT team under a GREAT manager, and I'm still incredibly happy nine months later.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains, and people who have been here for a long time can be a bit cynical about the direction we are headed. But when 100% of industry analysts say they would recommend Riverbed to their clients (and they do), I figure our product and technology strategy is on track -- so the haters are being pretty harsh. We are also in the midst of going private, and there are a lot of people who want to know whether stock incentives and the ESPP program will be replaced with other incentives -- and I get that too -- but this is a company with a l-o-n-g track record of treating employees really well, so I for one am trusting that the company will offer all of us a reason to stay.

Increase face-time with employees to let us know what you're working on to speed this transition. Tell employees about bit wins that demonstrate we are on track. Make sure the deal to go private protects employees, and really doesn't create a lot of pain.

Riverbed Technology Photos