www.robertwalters.com

Updated 14 February 2015
3.7

Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process (in 5 reviews)

• Team based structure, so very little of the backstabbing that happens at a lot of firms (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc (in 5 reviews)

• As with most sales roles, one has to sacrifice work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a tough job but with good reward if you are committed and goal orientated

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A well established system with good training and a good team based approach but also giving you the sense that you are running your own business.
    Good co-workers, everybody is really nice and get along well
    Nice office environment, clean and spacious
    Strong existing connections of clients and candidates in the region and the biggest foreign agency there. Seem to be well placed for further growth
    Fast paced and exciting
    Overall had a good experience working there and would definitely recommend it

Cons

The pressure of KPIs can sometimes really suck but it's a sales job so to be expected I guess
    Felt like some micro management when KPIs were low
    They use too many cliches like "time kills all deals", "you don't get if you don't ask" etc

Don't push KPI's too hard!

Fantastic new starter process and professionalism from start to finish during the interviews.

I have been working at Robert Walters

Pros

Great team environment that is refreshing in the recruitment industry. Genuine specialist professionals who care about their job and the candidates they are working with. Fantastic office culture with enough of a work life balance.

Cons

Like any sales/ recruitment role you have good and bad days. The best thing is to communicate with your manager and take advice where needed during the troughs.

Very impressed by the recruitment process and induction. Having run my own business for 5 years I was pleased to see a business that cared so much about it's new starters.

Opportunities for career advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Robert Walters NY is a great place to work - lots to do and a lot of opportunity for growth. There is a good management team in place at the moment and transferring internationally within the group is supported and encouraged.

Cons

It is a challenging but rewarding environment and motivated sales people will thrive here.

IT Service Desk

Former Employee - Service Desk in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Service Desk in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Walters

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, freedom to do your duties as you see fit. Management seems very easy to deal with, and everybody on the team is eager to help. Also free beverages every other week (usually on a Friday and when the have their monthly "wrap up"). They also engage in departmental "bonding" activities.

Cons

Hours are very long; 9 - 6:30 is a standard shift and they expect you to wear full corporate attire. Management are obsessed with looking at stats from the team, and are not very engaging with the team "in real time". I didn't feel like my talents were rewarded effectively and I kept being pulled up "for a quiet word" because I didn't fit in with the management style even though nobody was complaining about my behaviour.

Need to stop micromanaging, and coming up with irrelevant things that do not need to be done!

Robert Walters Response

Feb 12, 2015Talent Director

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your opinion and the time you've taken to add a considered review.

It’s great to hear your positive comments regarding the office atmosphere, your team
    ... More

Frat House

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Office easy to commute to

Cons

- Head of office acts like he's running a frat house
    - Mainly a boys club
    - Completely unprofessional
    - Everyone pretends to be nice, but it's cut-throat

Robert Walters Response

Feb 03, 2015Global HR Director

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your opinion and take all employee feedback seriously.

It’s disappointing to hear that you feel this way as we really do pride ourselves on being
    ... More

Comprehensive training for new recruiters

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Intensive training, easy to use database system, focused on team success, mgmnt encourages work life balance

Cons

Must be flexible with hours for meetings or phone calls in the evening; discretionary bonus scheme

Bonus compensation should be transparent

Comfortable working hours with a friendly team

I worked at Robert Walters

Pros

Flexible working hours, friendly team

Cons

Hours of work vary from week to week

Graduate position, great London location, poor training program

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

London location is second to none, tough interview process which means they take care in picking the right people.

Cons

Poor training program in place. No work life balance, 12 hour working days with minimum break.

Invest some time into giving sales staff the tools they need in order to succeed.

Fun environment, Competitive culture

Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Robert Walters as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment
    Competitive Culture
    Meritocratic

I was an intern at robert walters singapore. Through my observations and interactions, the company had a rather fun-loving employees. They were largely young and full of energy who had a penchant for reaching targets. I know for a fact that the money can be really attractive in this company. Bonuses are generous, albeit not fully transparent. If you have the will to succeed and is extremely client oriented, you can potentially be one of the largest billers in the office.

Cons

Competitive Culture
    Meritocratic

The above being said, the fact remains that RW is a largely competitive, quota driven, hit or you're out company. During my short stint of 2 months there, I witnessed a handful of people leaving the company. Convert that to percentage, I reckon it would be in the range of 5-10%.

Once, there was a fresh consultant whom i got to know at the start of the week, and by the following week he was gone. Poof, just like that. And the response to why was it so, it was merely a very matter of fact response - "he couldn't perform".

I guess people disappearing might hurt the morale of the company somewhat. But then again, it is the nature of this industry.

NA