Robert Walters Reviews

Updated 17 August 2014

3.1

Robert Walters Chief Executive Robert C. Walters
Robert C. Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process (in 5 reviews)

• Good training ground for those who are new to recruitment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc (in 5 reviews)

• Turnover rates used to be high, but has reduced to regular attrition rates as with any sales job (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Moderate company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Robert Walters as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Excellent employee benefits, and great co-workers, and the working environment is great. Flexible working hours and can meet many different people.

Cons

Not enough resources as there are many projects on-going and the work load is heavy, need more resources and the transformation pace is slow.

Share more on companies vision

Great training ground and support

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company provides intensive training in all aspects of recruitment - from candidate and client management right down to writing job ads and database management. I have learnt so much here and the support systems have been equally impressive - from IT to Marketing to team support. Best part of this company would be its strong brand - it has helped open a lot of doors and opprtunities for me.

Cons

There is a constant expectation to perform and achieve targets - which I guess is part of sales. The company can also do better in terms of staff benefits, which may not be as competitive as some of the MNCs I have worked in before.

Focus on staff retention and consider improving staff benefits - beyond just sales incentives and the typical remuneration. The company is already a leader in the recruitment space and would definitely benefit by being innovative in designing unique reward systems and lead the industry with a highly competitive package - setting high standards for others to follow like what Google and LinkedIn have done.

Great opportunities to be recognized for your strengths and interest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior management is willing to let me delve further in my areas of interest because I repeatedly come up with ideas for something that naturally excites me. Colleagues may come across cool and reserved at first but they do open up after awhile and are genuinely kind people. The downtown Shanghai office is a huge perk - it's sleek with a view of the city from the 36th floor.

Cons

It takes awhile for the company to get comfortable with new staff's abilities and potential because we come from various work backgrounds, so turnover of new people may be quite high. But as soon as they are comfortable that you have the DNA they look for, it opens up plenty of opportunities, and these people end up staying a good while.

It wouldn't hurt to revisit existing incentive structures so that it better reflects the company's great values.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working as Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

Professional, Cool. learn a lot

Cons

stress, pressure, you know when you set target high, its tiered

One endless cycle of meeting mind numbing KPI's; gorified call center position.

I have been working at Robert Walters

Pros

Base salary is high for someone fresh out of university.
    Good database/systems used in order to recruit.

Cons

Stupid boys club in which their entire ambition in life amounts to getting drunk on weekends as if they are still in university.
    Team incentives and outings just involve your joke of a manager/director getting drunk with young consultants.
    An obsession with call statistics, cold calling and other wastes of time which just irritate clients and candidates.
    Getting ahead no matter what the cost, telling 40 people you are putting them forward for a role when you are not, just so that you have market control.
    Training amounts to nothing more than sale gimmicks, you are not consulting, you are a call center agent.
    One does not learn anything valuable; the area for which one recruits is still a mystery after recruitment.
    People who don't have a stupid, blank smile on their faces all day are seen as negative.
    You will dread getting up in the mornings, the hours are really bad and you spend them doing nothing interesting.
    This isn't for someone who spends their time thinking about process improvement.
    No input whatsoever is accepted from anyone if they are not a manager, they will be singing the same tune until they are blue in the face.
    Managers do not give real assistance, they just expect consistent results from a process that is largely based on chance.
    At first it is stimulating, but after 3 months there is nothing else to learn and you will keep on carrying out the same process every single day afterwards.

In short, don't make the same mistake I did, there arr so many better and more rewarding careers out there.

You know what is wrong with the company, you are all just too comfortable to do anything about it.

Big company with bad recruiter

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is big and global

Cons

There is a recruiter who because of money and promotion cheated candidates to the bad company. He did this also because of maintaining relationship with his big corporate client so that his future will be brighter.

this is your company direction to use this kind of recruiter?

Great first job; not that career position

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a first job out of university working in a recruitment firm really does give you a great understanding of commercial sales skills, and how to be successful at sales. Robert Walters mantra is different from many of its competitors, it places an emphasis on the job-seeker and clients needs before that of the consultants i.e. commission. What this this allows is for you to purely focus on doing your job, without any adverse interests. Its a good lesson, as if you work hard, the rest will look after itself.

Cons

Long hours- working in sales means in many respects you have to be 'in it; to win it'. If you put the hours in you will generally find success and reward; if you do the bare minimum, often you won't. Sales is very black and white in that respect and you can't take short-cuts. The position itself does become a little monotonous, especially in the current market / wider economic environment we operate in. Cost- low rates, low fees, highly competitive recruitment market with rate hikes, and often the appetite to recruit and higher not in the mind set. I found myself speaking to a lot of job-seekers out of work, needing a job, and not being able to find one- it all become a little depressing.

Incentivize the junior staff members. A company is only as good as its employees. If the company is to truly kick-on and really enhance its global standing as the market leader as a professional recruitment consultancy then senior management shouldn't discourage entrepreneurialism; its should embrace it and support it. I found most of the senior management were very short and narrow minded, and wouldn't know what the notion of 'business continuity planning' was if it smacked them in the face. Most of the management entered the recruitment market pre-2007 when it was well, too easy to make money- then the global financial crisis happened. What this means is, management in play don't understand or know how to adapt to modern market conditions. I witnessed a lot of talented; intelligent graduate calibre professionals leave the company very frustrated- this was often due to sloppy management and a lack of support / guidance.

overall is fine

I have been working at Robert Walters

Pros

good colleagues

Cons

in-transparency compensation

Really grateful for the IT Team

I worked at Robert Walters

Pros

Boosted my English, dress sense and taught me how to work hard and play hard. Jeffrey Goh is one of the best managers I've ever worked with!

Cons

It can get stressful due to high expectations so your work performance really depends on how resilient you are in succeeding.

Perhaps have more soft skill training for all employees

The Global Group maybe good, but not the Shanghai office

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Group of the Company in U.K. headquarter maybe good
    The company has good reputation in HK market and U.K. Market for sure.
    The APAC MD seems to be friendly.

Cons

It is very difficult for me to recommend this office to any of my friends, when I experienced the non professionalism of the company' junor management.
    At least the junior manager doesnt let its staff work and discover its strengths. I am very surprised that such kind of person can be hired to be manager, while her background is the worst senior consultant at Michael Page at B team.
    I am very surprised to expeirenced their hiring philosophy is to use trial and errorr methodolog lure people in, and to create its empty database, then kick people out.
    The company brand and reputation is not in good quality in China market at least in Shanghai office.
    The Manager i have dealt with at the FS industry knows nothing about industry knowledge in banking,, and completely dont care about candidate's career development, sometimes persuade candidate to take the work they are had no experience. It is very surprised to meet unethical manager like that, who had no industry connection, knowledge to help coach and guide.
    Each office has some bad apple, but manager like that can be kept at that office for more than 6 months, I am very surprised, and just because she has been in the market for many years.

Maybe low quality manager shall not be kept at the office.

Worked for Robert Walters? Contribute to the Community!