Roche Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
612 reviews filtered by

1. Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in North Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in North Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Roche full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and overall compensation are very competitive, especially at the manager level. There are a lot of dedicated and talented people at Roche, many who are loyal, hard-working and will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

The investment in people is beginning in earnest in terms of their development, growth and getting to an authentic workplace where issues get vetted (but the lifers sometimes get in the way).

Cons

There are a lot of "lifers" at Roche, people who have spent 20+ years with the organization - and it shows. Fresh ideas and approaches are slow to take hold and management has very long memories, making overcoming mistakes that are bound to happen as your career progresses very difficult. I've seen folks stalled even when they had strong advocates because of some impression that was made 7 or 8 years in the past.

Also, with the lifers, sometimes career advancement gets stiffled at a certain level. I saw "manager ready" folks compete over and over against other lifers for single management positions, some taking 5+ years to get into a spot, even though they were quite talented.

Roche is a huge organization - with a lot of links to other US and Global organizations. Reporting relationships and matrixing is on overload at times and who has the ability to make a decision can be very confusing. The amount of people that have to "get aligned" to get something done is astonishing - which is why in virtually every area EXCEPT R&D, the company is way behind global competitors in process and technology (Finance, IT, HR, Customer Support, etc). You will work hard - especially if you are salaried, as there is always more to do and arbitrary timelines to hit than there are resources to get it done.

Advice to Management

Let go of the past and be willing to take more risks. Don't be so afaid of failure that you don't even try - especially with people. Growth and development is really cut short when good people are let go for risk taking or making mistakes that are non-critical to the business. Recognize that most people are giving you everything they have - and when they hit a roadblock, try giving them something back in the way of compassion and grace - instead of showing them the door. Stay engaged so irritants don't become problems, because when you do come down to earth and notice it - you feel your only options are drastic when earlier engagement could have prevented many problems. Don't be afraid of authenticity when you see it.

2. Medical director

Current Employee - Medical Director in Beirut (Lebanon)
    Current Employee - Medical Director in Beirut (Lebanon)

I have been working at Roche full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pipeline and work environment

Cons

Frequent updates and changes of processes

3. Great company with great people

Former Employee - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Roche

Pros

My manager and his manager were both extremely supportive and open to the idea of fresh ideas and new concepts. They let me explore new things along with doing the routine work- overall a very good experience. I would go back.

Cons

It's hard to start off at a lower level here. They're big on contractors.

5. I have worked at Roche Oncology for the last 4 years. Overall it has been a positive experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Roche full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, truly making a difference to patients.

Cons

Leadership changed 2 years ago, and we have lost a lot of people leading to a large culture change. Constant upheaval and a focus on kpi's, numbers and reports becoming very negative. Low morale at the moment.

6. Field Service Engineer

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Pay was great! Getting to travel places

Cons

No more bonuses every quarter. High stress job! No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the field!

7. Good for full time, most jobs short term contract

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Generally a good place to work. Support flextime and tececommute

Cons

more than half of the jobs are short term contract with none of the benefits full time gives. Often relatively low rates

8. Good company. Leadership struggles.

Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Pay is above average for the area. Campus remodel will modernize environment considerably. Great on-campus amenities.

Cons

Once you are in there is limited on the job training. Leadership positions are arbitrarily given.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting good project managers into people manager roles.

9. Research Division in Pleasanton, a plain joke!

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Roche full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like many said already, benefits.

Cons

Management sitting above the level of directors in the research division, at Roche Molecular, are a very big joke.

These are dinosaur aged, ultra-conservative oldies who stopped keeping up with science and technology, and yet, got themselves promoted to the levels of VPs and above, somehow.

These filthy old men look so polished on the exterior, and keep up with appearances, but are that much more filthy on the inside. They have no ethics, or standards, and put unethical business practices first before patients. Needless to say, they have strong marketing and legal teams, but very weak scientists.

Advice to Management

The only advice would be to drag all these ultra-conservative oldies out unscrupulously, and bring in young blood.
    These filthy old conservatives will never change. They are too arrogant and stupid, to do the right thing for patients.

10. Electracal Engineer

I worked at Roche

Pros

Cause theres growth in this company and theres a bright future and opportunities to inhanace a new skill.and a secure future .

Cons

To become part of a team who works together to keep the company moving forward and always exchanging idias so that there is growth with in the company.

Advice to Management

A company can always make good business ones they know who are they compadeters and how to satisfy there customers.

It was a great company, there was a lot of learning to gain from this company in which I planet my mind to do so.

Former Employee - Senior Photographer in Nutley, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Photographer in Nutley, NJ (US)

I worked at Roche

Pros

there where alot of events to cover for the company on a daily base, Meeting new people and learning about why these events was taken place, Team player was a great group to work with each and every day it was very close to a family who help each other in al phases of work in house and on location in which we did on a daily base also.
    Managers where great to work with too, cause he knew he had a great team to pull off any jobs that came our way an was completed and on time and if we had to put in over time it was not a problem for any of the team members.

Cons

I must say there was days when wealther was really bad and we still had to somehow make it in to cover the events.

Advice to Management

None, that i can think of, We was all treated well as a team and there wasn't any person that got special treatment above all everyone was treated the same and work hard to maintain the word flow better each job we all did.