Roche

Updated 23 November 2014
3.9

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Tracking of time spent on projects and work-life balance a low consideration (in 17 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much hype for nothing

Former Employee - Accounts Payables Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Accounts Payables Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Roche full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits,Good pay, nice gym, Good cafeteria. Clean offices and restrooms

Cons

Too much politics, the Fishers office is full of nepotism, politics and liars. Lots of managers are not qualified and got there only because they are connected.

Roche workers are mainly Fishers people .. So racism, sexism and politics run high.

Stop trying to claim you are good while you suck. Have some self check and don't hype your competences.

Passionate Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The scientists who work at Roche are very passionate about the work they do and it's nice to be in that environment. Salary and benefits are good.

Cons

Many policies and directives come from the headquarters in Basel, Switzerland and don't always seem relevant to offices in California. The bureaucracy and length of time it takes for changes to take effect can be frustrating.

Biotech / Pharma

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Basel (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Basel (Switzerland)

I worked at Roche as a contractor

Pros

Benefits, Social, Big, international, Professional

Cons

Stress, Pressure, Time, work live balance

A great place to work

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Nutley, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Nutley, NJ (US)

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work processes, continuously reviewed and updated.Well maintained integrated systems, reviewed and updated periodically for robust performance and meaningful data. Fair work life balance and fair compensation. Sense of community in many if not all areas. I travelled extensively for this company (many countries) and have always found most employees to be quiet happy.

Cons

Top management is Ok since the departure of one who is now a CEO at another place. However, not as great as the previous top management which had their eyes on the bottom line but also valued their employees. Current management does not value the employee as seen in more than 5000 employees loosing their jobs at a location they had for more than 100 years. Management would point to performance but needs to look at the performance based on the basket of products available to that location.

Data Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at Roche full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work...work from home, fantastic colleagues, management support is good

Cons

too many processes and documents

Streamline the processes

awesome family

I worked at Roche full-time

Pros

culture to them is real

Cons

some restructuring has happened in order to keep them running in forefront of the marketplace

keep culture alive

Trusted company

Current Employee - Customer Manager Private Labs in Trivento (Italy)
    Current Employee - Customer Manager Private Labs in Trivento (Italy)

I have been working at Roche full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Greak company with fast growth. Professional colleagues, all the staff feel comfortable and unified in striving for a common goal as a team. Roche treats contractors with a great deal of respect, encouraging them to be a part of the Roche team and new cultural beliefs.

Cons

Objectives that are virtually impossible to attain. Incentives usually fail because of poor structure rather than rewards.

Great work atmosphere, too much bureaucracy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Roche full-time

Pros

- Respect for employees' work/life balance. Salaried employees have some flexibility in work hours. Most managers are willing to work with you on this, as long as you're a reliable employee with no performance issues.
    - Excellent vacation and health benefits (includes dental, vision, prescription, retirement savings/401k)
    - Friendly and respectful work atmosphere
    - Plenty of learning and career development opportunities (includes tuition reimbursement)
    - Employee appreciation events and activities are very nice and well-organized - company not afraid to spend money to reward employees for hard work
    - Good on-site cafeterias/food service
    - Challenging work - very bright colleagues who will push and inspire you to do your best.

Cons

- Very risk-averse, to the point where project implementation is difficult and can drag on for months. Too much red tape and documentation are required to get any project off the ground.
    - The trade-off for the great benefits is that salaries can be 10K lower than what you'd find elsewhere for a similar job title/role.
    - Success within your career path depends mostly on who you know and how well you fit with your direct manager's personal focus and leadership style. Employees who are stuck in a rut career-wise can become "unstuck" by moving to a different department/manager.
    - Managers spend too much time in meetings and travelling

- Find ways to streamline project development and implementation, including cutting down on needless, unhelpful documentation and layers of bureaucracy.
    - Cut down on meetings and travel for managers.
    - Encourage managers to sit with employees once a month and understand the day-to-day work.

Excellent environment for work with ample resources for training

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Nutley, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Nutley, NJ (US)

I worked at Roche full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and welcoming culture. Extensive investment in training of its employees. Good processes in place to facilitate workflow. Emphasis is on quality and not just speed. Projects are appropriately resourced

Cons

There are scheduling challenges when co-ordinating the San Francisco (3 hours west) and Basel (6 hours east) campuses

Achieving cultural integration across the global sites is challenging. The overall organization can benefit by attending to these matters

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Basel (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Roche full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work within a great team and i am fortunate to have a very supportive Manager who encourages me, pushes me outside my comfort level and who wants to develop me and see me succeed. I have been fortunate that in over 10 years with the company I have always had great managers and for that reason I have developed into various roles in my time here (in various countries). I love my job and love the people I work with.

Cons

It's impossible to do anything fast! If you want to implement something you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it done. This is especially the case with IT....the documentation in IT is a killer and when you're not an IT person it can be very frustrating.

I think in order for our organisation to be more agile we need to take a leaner approach to projects and the documentation required in order to ensure a speedy implementation. The other thing I would say is that Roche spends a lot of money each year on contractors. These contractors have been with Roche for a long time and I think it would be more economical for the company and a much better experience for those employees if they were made permanent.