Roche Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.8

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan
Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Tracking of time spent on projects and work-life balance a low consideration (in 15 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

67% overall Engagement rate are pretty bang on! Not an amazing company and not a bad one either.

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Basel (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay & Benefits, 90 nationalities working in Basel at Global HQ, most co-workers are friendly

Cons

Quite a number of senior HR Leaders are ineffective, and anything but inclusive, some very aggressive female leaders from UK & US dominating their field

Don't take gender diversity to the extreme, balance means no more or less than 60-40 in Leadership Teams.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Research Scientist  in  Branford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Branford, CT (US)

I worked at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, 15 days of holiday, great career possibilities

Cons

Roch has the atmosphere of a big cooperation, slow decision, a lot hirachy ...

Great company to work for

I have been working at Roche

Pros

large corporate envirment with a lot of opportunities

Cons

there can be a learning curve for someone who is new to the organization

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT in the US be wary, good company overall.

Former Employee - Technology Solution Manager  in  Nutley, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Technology Solution Manager in Nutley, NJ (US)

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits for all Roche employees.
    Highly competitive salaries with bonus and depending on your level, stock options.
    They do a great job of providing top notch healthcare, dental, 401k matching and so forth.
    They value personal time and all the managers I had were great to work for except one (he is no longer with the company).
    I would still be with the company if they didn't shut down the location I was at.
    Each time I was impacted by a restructured job, I was able to get a 10% retention bonus for my stress (you would get it if you stayed to your end date as well).
    Very good severance package when large groups are impacted.

Cons

I worked for Roche for 14 years and other than the last 5-6 years it was a great company. My advice is if you are working for Roche in the IT area, you are at risk of yearly stress of losing your job due to restructuring and sending jobs around the company/world. In the past 6 years, my job was impacted 4-5 times. I had to either apply for a new job or take a package and leave. All of these were due to OPEX realignment of personnel. Senior management would move head count from one location to another without always understanding what they were doing. The latest push in the US is to send IT to Genentech in CA, Madrid, Spain or back to Basel, Switzerland. The Nutley location was closed down after 100 years of service and the US headquarters shifted to Genentech.

The merger of Roche and Genentech has not been the smoothest. Each company is still a separate entity and supported by different IT departments.

Genentech has not experienced the headcount loss experience as of my last day. They are in for a shock once it does. You have to keep in mind that Roche is the typical Swiss based company, and Gene is the typical San Francisco company. They are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. Roche is extremely process driven, cost conscious (with regards to IT) and doesn't like to deviate. Gene is agile and flexible with the mentality of "get the work done as quick as possible." They don't let cost act as barrier necessarily. Gene is able to bypass process and make their internal customers happy with rapid turn around times. This is the direction Roche is trying to go but with processes still in the picture.

Stop with the constant reorganizations. Once we finally get everything working again, there is another change and efficiency is lost again.

Good Company

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, work life balance

Cons

Poor Senior Management, no leadership and micro-managers

Worked for Roche for considerable period of time. Enjoyed the challenges and work environment.

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great colleagues always willing to help and cooperate. Hard working and motivated people. Good and friendly working environment. Well remunerated. Good advantage & benefit program.

Cons

Frequent changes in management. Must have high adaptability. Though have clear company values, it can be challenging, not to say difficult, to seriously demonstrate them when you continuously have to start anew with new managers. Little opportunity for growth. Too much bureaucracy.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Lots of room for growth

Cons

Nothing they treat you great!

Unique company culture and meaningful business model

Current Employee - Corporate Communication  in  Basel (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Corporate Communication in Basel (Switzerland)

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and collaborative colleagues across different functions, pretty much everyone I've met wants to do "the right thing", when it comes to serving patients, good work-life balance and fair compensation. The company is very international, but still has a bit of a "family feel" to it. Managers are actually concerned with respecting people's time off. The company has a great legacy and remains at the forefront of medical research, great basic commitment to innovation and people.

Cons

Career planning is up to how well you are at managing yourself in a decentralised matrix organisation. Can be a great opportunity, but don't wait for someone to offer you something just because you've been around for some time. Implementation is bottom-up, allowing a lot of room for new ideas, but making strategic decision-making long and cumbersome.

Should be more visible in the organisation. Roche is very decentralised, which is good. But low visibility can look like lack of strategy.

Good

Former Employee - Principal Associate  in  Nutley, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Associate in Nutley, NJ (US)

I worked at Roche full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It was good when lasted

Cons

Nutley site was closed in 2013.

Roche Molecular Systems

Current Employee - Project Management  in  Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Management in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Roche full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is specific to RMS - the Roche Pleasanton location.

None

Cons

Sr. Management is very sleazy and nonstop pathological lying is the culture. They will push subpar/incomplete products out the door only to collect bonus $$ - then spend $$ millions having to redo or correct critical design errors ultimately taking years to correct.

Work/Life balance is nonexistent and travel requirements are significantly higher than competitive /peer companies.

Leadership style is "fear" based -- "Lie to customers or be fired" is the SOP

RMD should be considered an embarrassment to Roche Holdings in terms of integrity.

Stop the pathological lying
    Stop pushing products out the door that will fail for the first 3 years or more until fixed or finished

Worked for Roche? Contribute to the Community!