Royal Mail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene

Moya M. Greene

Pros
  • Good Benefits, Good Holiday time off (in 5 reviews)

• work life balance , fresh air, nice to be out doors working with the public (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tend to new employees challenging routes with no guidance (in 5 reviews)

• Delivery managers are pressed to reduce expenditure quite substantially (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Once great company to work for.

Postman (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat, once you actually get outdoors.The pay is good for what I do.

ConsBullying managers are the norm. it's a dead end job as there's hints of redundancy to come, Royal Mail's going from public to private sector.A lot of sickness due stress and wear and tear on people's body's.You must walk about 40- 50 miles a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your staff as the enemy.Talking to them in a polite manner isn't a sign of weakness.

Alright Christmas job but don't stay too long.

Mail Processing (Former Employee) Chester, England (UK)

ProsFairly laid back.
    Check your brain at the door and listen to pod casts or audio books for five hours.
    Overtime usually available.
    Lots of time to converse with some fairly interesting people.
    Lateral career development, you can go drive a van if you want.

ConsOverly simple tasks, basically just do one thing most of the time.
    Disfunctional air conditioning in their large facilities, its a sweat shop in the summer.
    Line managers interfering in various ways, especially with the younger employees where they would often treat you like trash. There is a lot of seniority in Royal Mail and having a bit of silver in your hair means you never get bothered and can pretty much get away with murder. They generally just add drama but sometimes worse. When the line managers were absent for whatever reason everything ran smoother.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the line managers

Lack of customer focus and innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI had a challenging job, but was also rewarding
    There people you work with are generally very good

ConsI thought that there was a complete lack of innovation
    The company is run in a series silos and in can hamper true working together and finding the best solutions for the customer
    It is cost rather than customer focussed

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly focus on the customer, remove the barriers to developing true customer focussed solutions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Best

POSTMAN FULL TIME (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosreally great place to work and people

Consstarting new- may take a while to get the best walks- and poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with staff

Good employer to work for but culture sucks

Senior Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat challenges at work if you know how to create opportunities and run with it. Big company so lots of areas where you could interesting projects to deliver value and develop your skill sets.

ConsBe prepared to be part of the old public sector mentality as it is a bit like old boys club. Be prepare to lobby with old veterans and movers& shakers at top if you wish to successfully progress your career internally; alternatively wait for them to offer you voluntary redundancy,

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some real action to improve diversity in workforce

Poor poor Royal Mail

ProsVery poor management skills especially of people that have any form of disability. Use heavy handed and bullying tactics to quiet people.

ConsMoney good for jobs but nothing else.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management required.

A very satisfying work experience.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsThe best thing about Royal Mail are the people who work there. This flows through to an excellent customer service ethic where satisfaction is delivered to the highest order.

ConsSometimes change within the company is to slow, it needs to decide to do something and then just do it!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff sometimes

The heart is in the right place but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt pays reasonably well and there are lots of people who really care about the organisation who work there. It has the clout and budget to bring in good practice across many functions from HR to procurement.

ConsDevelopment is ad-hoc and unstructured. RM has good intentions to develop people but this, as with other organisations in crisis, usually falls by the way aside against operational needs - i.e. people aren't released from roles and there are no long term plans to bring people through to the next level. This helps to make it feel like an entirely reactive organisation to work for - staggering from one crisis to the next without a clear overall plan or sense of direction.

I also saw many good people contribute a lot before getting disillusioned as their face didn't fit - it is incredibly political higher up the organisation (although show me an organisation which isn't...) It's not as meritocratic as it likes to portray.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegulatory and budget pressures are important but allow people both to fail and support them to build a career with the organisation.

Tiring but nice

Casual Christmas Parcel Sorter (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI worked only over the christmas period, the people were lovely and we were allowed to listen to our own music and the like as long as you were paying attention to your surroundings, so I managed to listen to quite a few great lectures while working.

ConsNight-shift and endless sorting of parcels can be tiring when you're standing for hours and lead to back pain, but with a bit of ibuprofen you get used to it.

Brilliant

Mail Sorter (Former Employee) Gateshead, England (UK)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsNothing at all everything was perfect

Worked for Royal Mail? Contribute to the Community!