Russ Reid

Add Photos

Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison

Tom Harrison

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment, benefits and opportunities

Account Executive (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsEveryone you work with is more than willing to help you learn and achieve your career goals. From the moment I started at Russ Reid to over 2 years later, if there is something I do not understand or need more help with, I can count on any fellow employee to help me understand and master the process.

The benefits are great and the opportunities to advance are there as long as you do the work.

ConsHours can be long, but the idea of work life balance is pushed by managers.

Good for someone wanting into direct mail marketing

Billing Analyst (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsSize of company what they do for non-profit organizations

ConsNo movement, very hard to move into another position when most people have been with the company for 15 or more years. Making job growth hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand roles and more flexible with pay

Opportunity for the taking

Client Service (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsRuss Reid puts a lot of effort into creating a good company culture and providing a lot of opportunity to learn, especially for entry level employees.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience there, and you can really learn from anyone if you aren't afraid to get at it.

They are realistic about their weaknesses, though sometimes they are slow to act to fix them.

Fun and energetic working environment.

Great clients who do great work. Very rewarding.

If you want to learn multi-channel fundraising, there probably isn't a better place.

Senior management is trustworthy.

Owned by Omnicom.

ConsCertain departments require close supervision and/or hand-holding. To their credit, they are handling a massive amount of clients.

Very process heavy. Sometimes very inefficient.

You could end up reporting to a 23 year-old.

Size. Getting to be too big. Spend enormous amount of resources on new business to hit growth goals, even at the expense of current clients.

Owned by Omnicom.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate directly with employees as much as possible. Boundaries will decay the culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company doing important work for people in need.

Account Management (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsI've worked at Russ Reid for three years, and have never worked with a smarter - and frankly - nicer, group of people. It's very refreshing to be able to continue my career in direct response marketing, while working with nonprofit organizations that are helping people and changing the world for the better.

ConsYes, we're under a great deal of pressure (and sometimes have to stay late) with tight deadlines and sometimes small budgets, but I believe this adds excitement to my job.

Glad to be gone

Account Manager (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsThere are a lot of smart and enthusiastic people working here. I worked with some wonderful clients while I was here. I had some fun times at Russ Reid and felt good about the work that I did. Their Commitment to Coworkers standard for employee behavior is refreshing and actually used by many. Company events are great, and so are the summer hours. There are many opportunities for professional development.

ConsThe pay is abysmal for a job that consumes your life. The line that is given you is that since the clients are non-profits, they can't pay more, but after looking into other agencies that serve nonprofits, I learned how untrue that is.

Russ Reid is behind the curve when it comes to the digital space and is slow to embrace new technology and new ideas.

There are layoffs every couple of years. Employee morale tends to be low and you will often find women crying in the stairwell or restroom.

I hated dealing with the office politics at Russ Reid. It is common knowledge that they are slow to promote their employees.

The current outlook is that of the Titanic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsThe company encourages a good work-life balance.

ConsThe company has exceptionally poor upper management, few growth opportunities if you aren't ready to play the political game, and persistent religious undertones within the workplace even when not actually dealing with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be changed with individuals who understand the current and anticipated non-profit landscape and who have a fresh perspective.

I was satisfied with the environment and their willingness to accept new, fresh ideas.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsThe caring working environment is geared to employee satisfaction. One has a chance to impact the world with challenging and meaningful work and clients.

ConsAnalysis and depth of understanding of analysis is a weakness. The top leadership is primarily strong but a few of this group are industry challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not my place.

great cultural, good people.

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsPeople are genuine and care for their clients.

ConsCompensation is lower than industry average especially if you grow up in the company.

Experienced professionals...beware.

Vice President (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsHelp nonprofits achieve their missions...pretty cool.

ConsInsular culture...there is a group of people that run the company who have all been there for 20+ years. Other than myself, I can think of at least 10 highly capable, experienced professionals who struggled to be accepted by the long-term folks during my short tenure - all of whom are no longer there. If people have an issue with you, they won't tell you to your face...they will complain to others. You won't hear a peep until it's too late. The company is close to a turn-stile for experienced people. Good place for new kids right out of school to learn the ropes though...but you will be worked to the bone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the long term employees who block progress, shun new ideas, are too entrenched in their ways, and prevent new people from integrating. Keep the new people, toss the problematic long term folks...not the other way around.

Russ Reid Leadership responded to this review

Apr 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It’s important for us to hear both the positive and negative critiques as it helps us continue building a strong and healthy agency. We’re ... More

This company cannot manage its greatest assest--its people.

(Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsI made wonderful friendships that will last a lifetime and had one incredible mentor that changed my life. But these were exceptions to an overall negative experience.

ConsThe management, who have been there for decades, are lazy, condescending and arrogant. They promote incompetence because of their own incompetence. When they have an issue with an employee, they will never tell the employee to their face, but will go above them to their supervisor. Rarely, if at all, is the employee given enough of an opportunity to change or grow because by the time they hear of the problem, it's too late. Management is already making plans to get them out the door.

I cannot express enough just how much I would warn anyone considering working here. It is not worth it, for any reason. The experience will beat you down, shred your confidence and leave you totally confused about your own abilities. Additionally, the pay is terrible. They are a for profit company. Do not let them tell that you that because they work for non-profits, they can't offer competitive salaries. The executives are making six figures and above. Furthermore, they say they grow their people and want their employees to be happy. I saw very little evidence of that. Most people I knew were miserable and paranoid.

I worked there for a number of years and can't believe it took me this long to free myself. Don't let that be you. Don't go there in the first place. It will destroy your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

Worked for Russ Reid? Contribute to the Community!