Russ Reid Reviews

Updated 7 April 2015
26 reviews filtered by
  • Los Angeles, CA, US Area (US)
3.5
Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison
Tom Harrison

1. Genuinely good people doing meaningful work together - grateful for my time here.

Current Employee - Human Resources/Client Service in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources/Client Service in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-RR's big enough that there are lots of people to get to know and initiatives to get involved in, yet small enough that you can build deep relationships and take more ownership on projects than you could at a bigger, more bureaucratic organization.
    -I LOVE the people I've met at RR- smart, caring people who generally joined RR because they want to make the world a better place. One of the big reasons I moved into HR was because I thought our employees were so awesome, I wanted to work more closely with them. :)
    -Loved all 3 bosses I had at the agency - they were phenomenal people who were really dedicated to helping me grow.
    -I see RR as a hub for talented, compassionate people, which makes it a great place to build a professional network if that's who you want to connect with!
    -I genuinely believe the people with the most power at the agency - the game changers/innovators/decision makers have really good intentions for the company, and are willing to work hard to make it a better and better place.
    -Even with a couple 'intimidating' senior leaders, I can point to specific moments when they went out of their way to be gracious and help me grow both professionally and personally. This really left a huge impression on me.
    -Before I was in HR, like any normal employee I had some concerns and skepticism about how the agency functions...for example, I used to question our compensation practices with my boss pretty regularly. :) But truthfully, once I was in HR and was much closer to the decision makers/policy discussions, I had more and more confidence in how the agency's run and more faith that our leadership was willing and able to make positive changes to help the agency grow. Just with compensation alone, I saw a lot of progress made- I was so used to thinking "you can make more money outside Russ Reid" but I actually think we've come a long way and have become much more competitive, thorough and fair in how employees are compensated.
    -I see two of the biggest influencers of culture as our CEO and head of HR, and I've experienced them as being deeply committed to the agency and the well-being of employees. They're both phenomenal people who genuinely care about making RR a better place. I think this bodes well for the agency's future.

Cons

-The agency is in the midst of a lot of transition, which is understandably difficult at times in the day to day experience of an employee. Change is hard! And we're going through a lot of change right now.
    -The agency's had a solid track record of success but is now at a point where it's looking to reinvent some aspects of our business model and culture. I think positive changes are in process and ahead, but I think we've got a little ways to go to really be the place we want to be.
    -Because we've done well in the past, we haven't always had to be as creative and innovative as I think we're forced to be now. Sometimes in the name of speed and efficiency we could get comfortable with the way we've done things in the past, and at times I found myself wishing we'd get a little more outside our box.

Advice to Management

Prioritize our employees, our culture and our innovative spark just as much as you prioritize efficiency and accuracy. Keep on doing the little extra things that make RR a special place to work. :)

An agency on the verge of collapse

Current Employee - Client Services in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Services in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for clients who affect significant change in their city, state, country, world!

Cons

UNDER NEW LEADERSHIP

One half of the business just experienced significant upheaval in the client services department. And while change is necessary for an agency that is still incredibly reliant on a slowly dying medium, the way in which the change was orchestrated is indicative of a leadership team that views its employees as disposable pawns.

Employees were lied to about layoffs that were already being planned. And when said layoffs were carried out, I witnessed leadership laughing hysterically immediately before "somberly" delivering an update to the team.

A mass exodus is in progress in Client Services and
    - If I were a client, I would be seriously concerned about the inevitable issues that will come from having a smaller, less experienced account team.
    - If I were a member of an internal department, I would fear for the ripple effect the changes in CS will have on the business and how that loss of business will impact hours.

Advice to Management

If you still have jobs in 6 months, consider valuing your employees

Good experience with Direct Mail but get ready to suck up

Former Employee - Client Services in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Services in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

* Powerhouse when it comes to direct mail for nonprofits
    * Some genuinely good coworkers who are passionate about their job and helping nonprofits
    * Awesome clients

Cons

* Machine. Lower levels get treated like workhorses while upper levels sit in meetings all day.
    * Management seems to value sucking up and over hard work and dedication.
    * If you're on the client services side of things, don't expect to be able to give much creative input.
    * Some poorly trained supervisors.

Advice to Management

* Allow lower levels to have some input in creative/planning meetings.
    * Don't just preach about work life balance, provide it.
    * Better qualified supervisors and leadership who are not just trying to prove themselves.
    * Listen more to the needs and desires of your clients instead of trying to shove the "Russ Reid" proven way down their throats.

5. Standard job, nothing too exciting

Former Intern - Intern in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Russ Reid as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Easy tasks, doing good work for the community

Cons

Easy tasks are also very boring and repetitive

Advice to Management

Cut some of the fat, update IT

6. I interned at Russ Reid for 7 months.

Former Intern - Client Services Intern in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Client Services Intern in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Russ Reid as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible people, great clients, fast-paced work environment.

Cons

Can be long hours during busy seasons.

7. All together a good place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, people, people. Honestly, its the people that make this place a good place to work.

Cons

Compensation can be tough here. You can be told that you deserve $X amount, but that because of our parent company and restrictions, you are only getting $X.

8. God-speak and highly emotional female managers not for me.

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summer Fridays, contributing to work that makes a difference in the world, some really great people.
    Appreciation for the amount of amazing work that goes into what many of us consider "junk mail".

Cons

Too much religious overtone for me.
    Female managers at the highest level bursting into tears to diffuse situations.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees understand the diff between being religious and stuffing the religion down the throats of those who may be offended by it.

9. Great environment, benefits and opportunities

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is more than willing to help you learn and achieve your career goals. From the moment I started at Russ Reid to over 2 years later, if there is something I do not understand or need more help with, I can count on any fellow employee to help me understand and master the process.

The benefits are great and the opportunities to advance are there as long as you do the work.

Cons

Hours can be long, but the idea of work life balance is pushed by managers.

10. Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn, grow and gain experience.

Cons

Long hours and low pay.

11. Opportunity for the taking

Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Russ Reid puts a lot of effort into creating a good company culture and providing a lot of opportunity to learn, especially for entry level employees.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience there, and you can really learn from anyone if you aren't afraid to get at it.

They are realistic about their weaknesses, though sometimes they are slow to act to fix them.

Fun and energetic working environment.

Great clients who do great work. Very rewarding.

If you want to learn multi-channel fundraising, there probably isn't a better place.

Senior management is trustworthy.

Owned by Omnicom.

Cons

Certain departments require close supervision and/or hand-holding. To their credit, they are handling a massive amount of clients.

Very process heavy. Sometimes very inefficient.

You could end up reporting to a 23 year-old.

Size. Getting to be too big. Spend enormous amount of resources on new business to hit growth goals, even at the expense of current clients.

Owned by Omnicom.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly with employees as much as possible. Boundaries will decay the culture.