Russ Reid

Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison

Tom Harrison

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Glad to be gone

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time

ProsThere are a lot of smart and enthusiastic people working here. I worked with some wonderful clients while I was here. I had some fun times at Russ Reid and felt good about the work that I did. Their Commitment to Coworkers standard for employee behavior is refreshing and actually used by many. Company events are great, and so are the summer hours. There are many opportunities for professional development.

ConsThe pay is abysmal for a job that consumes your life. The line that is given you is that since the clients are non-profits, they can't pay more, but after looking into other agencies that serve nonprofits, I learned how untrue that is.

Russ Reid is behind the curve when it comes to the digital space and is slow to embrace new technology and new ideas.

There are layoffs every couple of years. Employee morale tends to be low and you will often find women crying in the stairwell or restroom.

I hated dealing with the office politics at Russ Reid. It is common knowledge that they are slow to promote their employees.

I was satisfied with the environment and their willingness to accept new, fresh ideas.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time for more than a year

ProsThe caring working environment is geared to employee satisfaction. One has a chance to impact the world with challenging and meaningful work and clients.

ConsAnalysis and depth of understanding of analysis is a weakness. The top leadership is primarily strong but a few of this group are industry challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not my place.

The current outlook is that of the Titanic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time

ProsThe company encourages a good work-life balance.

ConsThe company has exceptionally poor upper management, few growth opportunities if you aren't ready to play the political game, and persistent religious undertones within the workplace even when not actually dealing with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be changed with individuals who understand the current and anticipated non-profit landscape and who have a fresh perspective.

great cultural, good people.

Account Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are genuine and care for their clients.

ConsCompensation is lower than industry average especially if you grow up in the company.

This company cannot manage its greatest assest--its people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI made wonderful friendships that will last a lifetime and had one incredible mentor that changed my life. But these were exceptions to an overall negative experience.

ConsThe management, who have been there for decades, are lazy, condescending and arrogant. They promote incompetence because of their own incompetence. When they have an issue with an employee, they will never tell the employee to their face, but will go above them to their supervisor. Rarely, if at all, is the employee given enough of an opportunity to change or grow because by the time they hear of the problem, it's too late. Management is already making plans to get them out the door.

I cannot express enough just how much I would warn anyone considering working here. It is not worth it, for any reason. The experience will beat you down, shred your confidence and leave you totally confused about your own abilities. Additionally, the pay is terrible. They are a for profit company. Do not let them tell that you that because they work for non-profits, they can't offer competitive salaries. The executives are making six figures and above. Furthermore, they say they grow their people and want their employees to be happy. I saw very little evidence of that. Most people I knew were miserable and paranoid.

I worked there for a number of years and can't believe it took me this long to free myself. Don't let that be you. Don't go there in the first place. It will destroy your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

Experienced professionals...beware.

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time for more than a year

ProsHelp nonprofits achieve their missions...pretty cool.

ConsInsular culture...there is a group of people that run the company who have all been there for 20+ years. Other than myself, I can think of at least 10 highly capable, experienced professionals who struggled to be accepted by the long-term folks during my short tenure - all of whom are no longer there. If people have an issue with you, they won't tell you to your face...they will complain to others. You won't hear a peep until it's too late. The company is close to a turn-stile for experienced people. Good place for new kids right out of school to learn the ropes though...but you will be worked to the bone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the long term employees who block progress, shun new ideas, are too entrenched in their ways, and prevent new people from integrating. Keep the new people, toss the problematic long term folks...not the other way around.

Flag Review

Russ Reid Leadership responded to this review

Apr 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It’s important for us to hear both the positive and negative critiques as it helps us continue building a strong and healthy agency. We’re ... More

Best in class niche agency

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time for more than a year

ProsRuss Reid is filled with extremely talented and knowledgable employees in the direct response marketing space. They use proven tactics to grow hundreds of organizations beyond what they could do on their own. There is much room for growth and multiple programs built to aid employees in their professional growth.

ConsBecause of Russ Reid's scope of work, many join and are disappointed that the majority of time is focused on traditional DR marketing methods. Though I agree that the vehicles used yield the best results for clients, more effort into innovation, finding new business opportunities and experimentation could be beneficial long-term.

Great at what they do.

Client Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Russ Reid full-time for more than a year

ProsFeel good about the work you are doing. Have a better work/life balance. Healthy working environment.

This agency generally has less drama than others I've worked for. They are also very process oriented which can sometimes be frustrating. However, they have the ability to turn out a large volume of work error free.

ConsSalary is below average. As a mature DR agency in the nonprofit world they are slow to change.

While process is a strength, it's also a weakness. If a new idea doesn't fit within the guide rails of the current model it's a painful process to execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old business models are not going to work 10 years from now for networked client groups.

Great people and mission, but B level work given to unsophisticated (but goodhearted) clients

Account Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are great, easy to work with
Great hours, everyone is out the door by 5
No typical agency drama
Long term client relationships, 5, 10, 15 years not abnormal
Great working location

ConsPay is way below market for agencies, evident in the mid/low tier universities that most recruiting is aimed at
Many senior execs are B level players, insular, with tenure counting more than talent/performance
Agency doesn't evolve because clients (non profit) are unsophisticated compared to Fortune 500 clients who expect and get more from their agencies

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great, motivated people and could be so much better with the right strategic and technical (i.e., up to date) CRM thinking in place - although its not apparent anyone at a senior level recognizes how far behind the agency is compared to competitors. If there was more of a meritocracy instead of a tenure based system in place you could attract and keep more talent and raise your game - although it seems that senior execs are ok with "good enough" people to work with a client base that doesn't know what its missing compared to more advanced CRM agencies.

negative

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Russ Reid

Prosthe internal staff is very nice

Consit's a political environment to work in

Worked for Russ Reid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Russ Reid reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Russ Reid employees.