Ryan, LLC

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Ryan, LLC CEO and Managing Principal G. Brint Ryan

G. Brint Ryan

Pros:
  • "Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overworked, under paid

Manager Or Above (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsThe concept of MyRyan (work where ever, when ever) is great but poor implementation.

ConsIt is not a healthy work environment. Certain departments are very understaffed therefore you have to work very long hours (2 am) to complete your work. Certain departments are still very chauvinistic, creating a hostile work environment towards women. I had very high expectations based on the story Ryan was selling. However, it was a very disappointing experience. HR and upper management are not interested in feedback or receiving concerns regarding the environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk. If you really want to make it a great place to work, be open to all feedback--even feedback that says you aren't doing so well.

There is no work life balance--only work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are very smart, and very good at what they do. Brint Ryan is a visionary and very dynamic.

ConsTheir "work/life balance" program, myRyan, does not work. Your work is never done, and many of the leaders don't respect boundaries--no time is sacred--not the middle of the night, not holidays, not weekends....they will call and email you and expect a response.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to tell what is truly an emergency and what isn't. People need time off to disengage from work.

Manager at Ryan

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing pay structure. Rewards success. Ability to make a lot of money.

ConsInternal hurdles, approvals, etc. take time to get processed. Partner group is over-saturated with "managers" of projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on results. Some of the partners are not client facing and focus on immaterial details. Reliance on mangers to develop issues, market, manage client relationship, etc. without keeping an eye on the bigger picture.

Room for removal of partners who don't add value but just manage projects or who just ride other partners/managers issues to make their numbers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

ProsThe use of myRyan is absolutely exceptional. This allows employees to work from any location, without the need to be in the office. Because Ryan is structured as a team environment, the use of myRyan is heavily dependent upon whether your manager wishes to use it for your team. Many teams do not use it often. Depending on which division you are in (sales and use, unclaimed property, etc), there will be opportunities for travel. There is no micro-managing - however, this is dependent upon your team. In my team, there was micro-managing. The firm offers a variety of free courses to further your knowledge via RyanNet.

ConsBecause of the use of myRyan, the business is driven by work performed and not hours worked. There have been numerous occasions where my manager would send me e-mails at 2am. Consequently, there is no work-life balance. Your experience at Ryan will be extremely dependent upon whose team you are in. Your success is dependent upon who is you team leader/manager. The benefits at the firm are not that great either: pay, bonus, health insurance. Because Ryan is a specialty tax firm, make sure this is the career you want to be in. The skills you acquire here will not transfer easily to another firm. I believe that unless you are in the Dallas HQ office, you will not enjoy your time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you promote someone to a managerial position, make sure you give them all of the necessary training BEFORE they assume that position. Additionally, re-structure your training program for new hires. the on-boarding process was nonexistent. Lastly, understand your employee morale outside of the Dallas HQ. Don't put so much emphasis on random surveys that you make your employees fill out almost every month.

Getting better by the week

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits are amazing! In 2014 my husband's health insurance was so bad we switched to mine. I'm happy to have an employer who cares about the health of their employees!

ConsPay not consisten with industry/city standards

I'm treated as a professional

Ano (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRyan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding. In addition, management is willing to listen to employees through town-hall meetings.

ConsNo issues with the firm

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to improve employees.

Potential for greatness but stuck at mediocre.

Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for less than a year

Proslots of work, very philanthropic company, myRyan platform provides opportunities to work outside of the office for some.

ConsPay is not great, medical benefits are expensive, 401 K benefits are not good, myRyan is not available for all especially in corporate services departments like Finance.

Pay is very low considering all of the hoops you are required to jump through and how much work there is to do constantly. Systems are slow and outdated plus every step is repeated which takes up a huge amount of time. Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform. I have noticed management is a bit controlling which I believe is why some can't utilize myRyan.

The company I worked for before Ryan offered 100% matching on 401 K and the medical benefits paid more and covered more. For instance if you sign up for a High Deductible plan, my former employer would deposit $500 for single person, or $1000 for a family into an HSA account to help with the costs and you were responsible for $2700 deductible and after that it was 80/20 until you reached $5500 then everything was paid 100%.

Would be nice to see Ryan take better care of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are professional, please treat us as such. Most of us would love our jobs if we were given the same opportunities as other Ryan associates. Moral would improve if the above stipulations were met. We all want to be treated fairly and appreciated as well as treated like adults.

Getting used to it

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsMyRyan is great work/life balance tool

ConsConservative politically and socially doesn't jibe with my views.

My overall experience at Ryan was absolutely incredible, and I can not imagine a better internship.

Property Tax Intern (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC as an intern for less than a year

Pros* You will receive very competitive pay as an intern, and it helps to add to the idea that you are important to Ryan as the other team members will also make clear to you.

* Team environment where you are surrounded by competent, intelligent, hard-working, extremely amicable and helpful coworkers.

* The property tax division is very fast paced as interns are brought in during the busy season, but the advantage to the system is that you are almost instantly working on the same basic projects as the senior consultants and managers (you are helping them with pieces of their larger projects).

* You begin delving into commercial real estate and property tax analysis almost as soon as you arrive and get set up. This allows you to start learning useful things right away.

* You will have a chance to really learn and work in Excel during your internship and will start learning market conditions in your office's regional coverage area. Insights into how property taxes work and how the laws differ from one jurisdiction to the next.

* The property tax division is the probably the most team-oriented inside Ryan as every project is touched by multiple hands/minds.

Cons* For interns, you will be limited to a 40 hour work schedule, but that may not be an issue unless you are hoping for overtime and trying to save up more money for college, etc.

* Honestly, I can't see too many cons to this internship. It was much better than I could have ever expected, and you will get tons of practical and useable knowledge and skills from it.

Great Experience

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

ProsNew and skillful work given with different daily objectives. Key to understand big picture and improving upon it.

ConsI did not experience any downsides of working for Ryan LLC. I enjoyed my time while i was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little bit of training should be given before starting the job.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Ryan, LLC Videos

Ryan, LLC – Why Work for Us?

Ryan has won over 100 workplace excellence awards during the last four years, including numerous city, state, and national workplace excellence recognitions, as well as highly selective international awards and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryan, LLC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ryan, LLC CEO G. Brint Ryan. All 186 reviews are posted anonymously by Ryan, LLC employees.