Ryan, LLC

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Ryan, LLC CEO and Managing Principal G. Brint Ryan

G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance(in 37 reviews)

• The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform(in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse(in 9 reviews)

Not all divisions of Ryan are a "great place to work"

Manager Or Above (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are in the right division at Ryan, there are opportunities. Ryan provides good service offerings.

ConsMyRyan is great -in theory, but poorly implemented in the division where I worked. Senior management refused to hire the appropriate resources, therefore you had to work until 1-2 am just to keep up. When you did take time off, you were still required to attend client calls, emails, et. Mature women are not embraced in my division.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease walk your talk. Mr. Ryan, if you are truly serious about making your firm a great place to work, then you need to be open to feedback that points out which piece of your business are broken. When people do try to speak up, retaliation occurs.

If you want to be in tax, this is the place to be in terms of career development and growth.

Consultant, Sales and Use Tax (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsStrong management team with good growth potential.

ConsBoring, lots of menial job tasks.

Great place to start.

Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsA lot of freedom, flexible work schedule. Worked at home whenever I wanted. Even allowed me to live out-of-state and still excel at my job. Good place to acquire skills to break into a big four firm.

ConsNot a lot of room to move up. Especially compared to other companies, there is not a lot of fostering of talent. Little to no client interaction at a low level.

Advice to Senior ManagementSame response from superiors regardless of whether engagement level is high or low. Without room to grow (or at least to appearance of room to grow), there isn't a lot of motivation to be ambitious. The firm could be missing out on many rising professionals for this reason. Although maybe that doesn't matter, since the firm has a reputation internally for not promoting from within.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay for an entry level position

Sales and Use Tax Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Pros- Work/life balance
    - Time-off policies

Cons- Low salary
    - High turnover rates

Overworked, under paid

Manager Or Above (Former Employee)

ProsThe concept of MyRyan (work where ever, when ever) is great but poor implementation.

ConsIt is not a healthy work environment. Certain departments are very understaffed therefore you have to work very long hours (2 am) to complete your work. Certain departments are still very chauvinistic, creating a hostile work environment towards women. I had very high expectations based on the story Ryan was selling. However, it was a very disappointing experience. HR and upper management are not interested in feedback or receiving concerns regarding the environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk. If you really want to make it a great place to work, be open to all feedback--even feedback that says you aren't doing so well.

There is no work life balance--only work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThe people are very smart, and very good at what they do. Brint Ryan is a visionary and very dynamic.

ConsTheir "work/life balance" program, myRyan, does not work. Your work is never done, and many of the leaders don't respect boundaries--no time is sacred--not the middle of the night, not holidays, not weekends....they will call and email you and expect a response.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to tell what is truly an emergency and what isn't. People need time off to disengage from work.

Manager at Ryan

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsAmazing pay structure. Rewards success. Ability to make a lot of money.

ConsInternal hurdles, approvals, etc. take time to get processed. Partner group is over-saturated with "managers" of projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on results. Some of the partners are not client facing and focus on immaterial details. Reliance on mangers to develop issues, market, manage client relationship, etc. without keeping an eye on the bigger picture.

Room for removal of partners who don't add value but just manage projects or who just ride other partners/managers issues to make their numbers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThe use of myRyan is absolutely exceptional. This allows employees to work from any location, without the need to be in the office. Because Ryan is structured as a team environment, the use of myRyan is heavily dependent upon whether your manager wishes to use it for your team. Many teams do not use it often. Depending on which division you are in (sales and use, unclaimed property, etc), there will be opportunities for travel. There is no micro-managing - however, this is dependent upon your team. In my team, there was micro-managing. The firm offers a variety of free courses to further your knowledge via RyanNet.

ConsBecause of the use of myRyan, the business is driven by work performed and not hours worked. There have been numerous occasions where my manager would send me e-mails at 2am. Consequently, there is no work-life balance. Your experience at Ryan will be extremely dependent upon whose team you are in. Your success is dependent upon who is you team leader/manager. The benefits at the firm are not that great either: pay, bonus, health insurance. Because Ryan is a specialty tax firm, make sure this is the career you want to be in. The skills you acquire here will not transfer easily to another firm. I believe that unless you are in the Dallas HQ office, you will not enjoy your time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you promote someone to a managerial position, make sure you give them all of the necessary training BEFORE they assume that position. Additionally, re-structure your training program for new hires. the on-boarding process was nonexistent. Lastly, understand your employee morale outside of the Dallas HQ. Don't put so much emphasis on random surveys that you make your employees fill out almost every month.

Getting better by the week

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits are amazing! In 2014 my husband's health insurance was so bad we switched to mine. I'm happy to have an employer who cares about the health of their employees!

ConsPay not consisten with industry/city standards

I'm treated as a professional

Ano (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsRyan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding. In addition, management is willing to listen to employees through town-hall meetings.

ConsNo issues with the firm

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to improve employees.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!