Ryan, LLC

Updated 14 December 2014
4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Brilliant place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivating Leaders, Inspiring Vision and achievements, Transparent work culture

Cons

It gets better every day

With the path designed and being followed by Ryan; it will definitely meet its goals, earlier then expected

Ryan will be my employer for life!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company is perfect for me. I am a type A, hard charger who wants to have unlimited earning potential based on results. That is what Ryan is all about. The low base, high bonus compensation model set up for the majority of the practices (I am in sales and use tax) is the way to go. If you are a self-starter, tax technical, disciplined and eager/hungry, this is the place for you.

I have made way more money at Ryan than I would have anywhere else. It is about more than the money though. Ryan LIVES by its Purpose and Core Values. It isn't something that their marketing department came up with that just sounds good. Every word has meaning and leadership walks the walk and talks the talk. There is no doubt about it. Those in leadership positions still work directly on client accounts every day and are on the front lines. They know what is going on because they are living it.

And the clients are Fortune 1000 companies where I have made many friends. They know and trust the capabilities of Ryan and have confidence and a commitment from our CEO that we will figure it out, leave no stone unturned, and be creative in our solutions. We won't close the project until we have the best result possible. We stick with it until the end. Not many firms do that as they are too busy looking at engagement economics, particuarly on contingency fee engagements.

Cons

There are occassionally growing pains but that is expected with a high-growth company. I would rather have pains here and there than be with a company that is stagnant.

Continue to hire people like me. I want to be surrounded by those who want to succeed and will do whatever it takes to succeed by coming up with creative ideas, being thorough in their work, and commiting whatever time it takes to get the job done to the highest standards.

Invest in Corporate Services to build a top-notch, proactive team to support the high growth business.

Great experience

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Good bonus if you assigned on a good team. Flexible hours.

Cons

If you do not assigned to a good senior, you are on your own to learn and explore the way to get work done.

Need better training

Enjoying the Benefits & Impact of a Small Business under the Protection of a Corporate Umbrella.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You really matter at Ryan. Your opinion and insights are valued by everyone. Since Ryan is relatively new as compared to some of the country's oldest tax firms, the company structure lends itself to one where the highest in the company hear you. The flexible work schedule driven by results is a benefit that any small business owner can appreciate, but as an employee of Ryan, you also have the corporate protection of base-pay with incentives to drive revenue through Ryan's bonus structure. Our team environment is really what you want to make it, and I couldn't ask for a better situation in terms of a corporation that listens to me, provides a flexible works schedule, and rewards me for the value I contribute to the company through the generous bonus structure.

Cons

Ryan has growing pains due to its aggressive expansion, which is understandable. The growing pains are actually opportunities for employees to provide value and insight that can really shape the firm as it drives towards the future.

Continue your generosity, recognition, and guidance. Whether you actively see it or not, you make many of us want to come to work each day and many of us don't mind putting in the time to find savings opportunities for our clients. Some days are tough, but it makes it easier to get through them when we enjoy the fight and we have your encouragement and leadership.

Great Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary for entry-level job. Small regional office but very accommodating for desired work hours with the MyRyan program.

Cons

MyRyan program truly depends on the mentality of your manager/director. Although in theory, setting your own hours and working from home is encouraged, it truly falls onto the expectations of your manager and the office environment he/she is trying to create.

Great place to start

Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax
    Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Work from home option is good but your reminded that its a privilege and it can be taken away from the employees at any given moment.

Lots of training and if your on a good team with a seasoned manager you will learn a lot.

If your on a good team, its a great work environment.

Cons

Pay is extremely low for the area and your constantly reminded that its due to the bonuses but if you have 5-10 people on project and most of them are in senior management you can expect 1/15 of an percent as a compensation. Management gets the majority of the cash while you do most of the work. Bonuses is not based on number of hours its based on seniority.

No HR support. If your having an problem with your manager your only option is to look for another job. Upper management will not work with you and moving internally is a joke. All managers talk to each other even before you apply.

Ryan's mindset is just hire them and we will teach. So you have employees there with no accounting or tax experience coming from restaurants and mental health fields learning tax and this includes people in management so they are learning as they go.

If your there long enough, you will move up in the company by default and not due to your ability. With this mindset, teams suffer with incompetent Managers because they are learning how to be a manager and do not have skills and should not be one.

Hire seasoned accounting and tax employees and compensate them for it. Review your bonus structure

The most challenging and stimulating place I've ever worked

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ryan has created a winning meritocracy in tax services. The top performers achieve more than they ever could any where else. Those that aren't top performers go to Big 4.

Cons

The worst part of Ryan is listening to those who can't cut it whinning about incentive compensation inequity. Please leave and don't mess it up for the rest of us.

Quit coddling people. You cannot make everyone a top performer. Recognize that and do what needs to be done.

Mostly good, some very bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to make your mark and increase your knowledge and skills. MyRyan is great if you need a bit of work/life flexibility.

Bonus plan can be very good if you are in the right practice and on the right engagements.

Cons

There are some leaders that should not be allowed to have any staff interaction as they lack leadership, common courtesy, and most basic of interpersonal business skills.

One leader is even allowed to remain despite numerous harassment incidents at multiple firms.

Clean house of personalities that drag down reputation. Money isn't everything and it is certainly not enough upon which to risk a great reputation.

Freedom to work from home; leadership and management is too centralized in one person/city

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times. If you're on the right team, then you'll enjoy your time here. There are some very, very smart tax professionals here.

Cons

Compensation is far below market. Management is too centralized. The CEO must review and approve nearly all money that leaves the company which slows things down tremendously

Relaxed and High Growth Atmosphere

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

myRyan - It's up to your team to decide on how they want to utilize it. I could have done 90% of my work at home. All I had to do was keep my team updated. myRyan truly is a 100% guilt-free environment and team productivity did not seem to be negatively affected.

Growth - Ryan is growing at a tremendous pace. Ryan's services are valued highly by clients. Ryan obviously has a competitive edge in their niche and clients are able to see that. Now is the best time to work for Ryan. Get your foot in the door; you'll climb up the ladder in no time.

Training - Training (at the Dallas office) met or exceeded my expectations. In addition to the required training, Ryan offers MANY opportunities throughout the year to take optional courses (in-house, web, and subsidized outside training) to develop your skills.

Cons

Work can get monotonous. Base compensation is subpar.

There seems to be a disconnect between HQ (Dallas) and other locations. Ryan's Dallas office is where you want to be. Focus on solidifying Ryan's brand and offer traditional classroom training in all locations. Some of the training is highly intensive and requires face to face interaction; it is unrealistic to expect non-HQ staff to absorb the same material via a WebEX stream.