Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated 25 September 2014
3.9

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The flexibility and innovation at Ryan, LLC are un-paralleled.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ryan strives to keep their best talent by offering bonuses, outstanding flexibility and dedicated management.

Cons

We pay for casual Friday, but it goes to charity so it's not too much of a con.

Company who like to apply for accolades(best company to work ...) as way hiding their shortfalls and high turnover.

Former Employee - Manager Or Above

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company is getting into the 21st century and providing employees more and better learning courses and various ways to recognize employees. Company is the best as sales and use tax projects an should not veer away from their area of expertise.

Cons

Lack of competent directors and principals with necessary project management skills in new service lines in the Federal area. Zero work life balance. MyRyan does not exist for most employees and not consistent across the board. Beware of the theory that you were hired because you are the best of the best, you are hired due to high turnover and the service line was desperate to find someone. Complete client deliverables are provided the client 3 to 6 months after a tax filing and ethics does not play a factor in the work product. Being on both the client side and consulting side, I would be wary of using Ryan for anything other than sale and property tax projects. Principals are not in agreement as to the project status reports and the value to the client. High turnover, I was looking for a job two weeks after I started this role and extremely happy I have my work life balance back and do not let Ryan fool you that it is work life success.

I cannot provide much advice as I understand many people who have been at Ryan have provided advice but to no avail. The best advice is to focus on your core practice of sales and use tax and let the big boy firms handle the federal services.

Many opportunities for career development, all the tools needed for self-motivated goal oriented professionals

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance
    Very successful model in place, all the tools you need to succeed are available

Cons

Opportunites to succeed must be sought and created by you - for those that are driven and ready for the challenges, the rewards are immense
    Achieving success is not easy - must be willing to put in extra time and effort at times to succeed

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, lot's of potential.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work environment that allows for work life balance.

Cons

Projects (and therefore bonuses) not evenly distributed. If you are on a good team with good projects that the partners distribute to you, then you're set, but if not, you have to find your own clients or be forced to do junk projects with no profit. Also, this is not a CPA firm so it is difficult to get certified if your manager is not a CPA.

Balance project distribution out better.

Not all divisions of Ryan are a "great place to work"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

If you are in the right division at Ryan, there are opportunities. Ryan provides good service offerings.

Cons

MyRyan is great -in theory, but poorly implemented in the division where I worked. Senior management refused to hire the appropriate resources, therefore you had to work until 1-2 am just to keep up. When you did take time off, you were still required to attend client calls, emails, et. Mature women are not embraced in my division.

Please walk your talk. Mr. Ryan, if you are truly serious about making your firm a great place to work, then you need to be open to feedback that points out which piece of your business are broken. When people do try to speak up, retaliation occurs.

Great place to start.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of freedom, flexible work schedule. Worked at home whenever I wanted. Even allowed me to live out-of-state and still excel at my job. Good place to acquire skills to break into a big four firm.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up. Especially compared to other companies, there is not a lot of fostering of talent. Little to no client interaction at a low level.

Same response from superiors regardless of whether engagement level is high or low. Without room to grow (or at least to appearance of room to grow), there isn't a lot of motivation to be ambitious. The firm could be missing out on many rising professionals for this reason. Although maybe that doesn't matter, since the firm has a reputation internally for not promoting from within.

If you want to be in tax, this is the place to be in terms of career development and growth.

Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong management team with good growth potential.

Cons

Boring, lots of menial job tasks.

Okay for an entry level position

Former Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Time-off policies

Cons

- Low salary
    - High turnover rates

Overworked, under paid

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

The concept of MyRyan (work where ever, when ever) is great but poor implementation.

Cons

It is not a healthy work environment. Certain departments are very understaffed therefore you have to work very long hours (2 am) to complete your work. Certain departments are still very chauvinistic, creating a hostile work environment towards women. I had very high expectations based on the story Ryan was selling. However, it was a very disappointing experience. HR and upper management are not interested in feedback or receiving concerns regarding the environment.

Walk your talk. If you really want to make it a great place to work, be open to all feedback--even feedback that says you aren't doing so well.

There is no work life balance--only work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are very smart, and very good at what they do. Brint Ryan is a visionary and very dynamic.

Cons

Their "work/life balance" program, myRyan, does not work. Your work is never done, and many of the leaders don't respect boundaries--no time is sacred--not the middle of the night, not holidays, not weekends....they will call and email you and expect a response.

Learn to tell what is truly an emergency and what isn't. People need time off to disengage from work.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!