Ryder System

Updated 24 February 2015
Updated 24 February 2015
2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

great comoany no changes needed

Current Employee - RSR in Florence, SC (US)
    Current Employee - RSR in Florence, SC (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upper managment are great and give perks

Cons

none smooth as silk company

managment is great you win some loose some

good job

Current Employee - Case Picker
    Current Employee - Case Picker

I have been working at Ryder System full-time

Pros

good money good enviorment job security.Its a very good company to start your warehouse career lots of safety training. also learn how to drive a pallet jack and forklift.

Cons

hard to get hours at times my schedule has changed a couple times but it is a start up site i knew it was possible going in to this job.

open up a little bit its hard to talk to you all at times and we all have stress. Just take a deep breathe.

IT

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

great company love the environment

Cons

hard to move up the ladder

learn more about your team

Great company

Current Employee - Diesel Technician in Carlisle, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Diesel Technician in Carlisle, PA (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits awesome people to work with

Cons

On call sometimes but not ways

Job is Good for Entry Level Logistics Career, but wouldn't Recommend Long-Term

Former Employee - Account Lead in Novi, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Account Lead in Novi, MI (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Co-workers are friendly. It is a clean, safe, environment. One can learn a lot about logistics in a short amount a time.

Cons

There is really no room for advancement.. The hours can change at the drop of a hat for some departments so there is no work/life balance. People who take their lunches and breaks are looked down upon. High turnover, no training systems or manuals in place, high pressure environment There is no open door policy. If you do not agree with management and the policies being made, then you are shunned, and once you are shunned they will work against you until you leave or they find a way to fire you.

Start to actually listen to the employees and care about employee morale. Pay all salary employees real overtime. Treat your employees as if you would want to be treated. Get rid of the favoritism. There are great people that work at Ryder. Please do not continue to overwork them.

Good Entry Level - No Advancement

Current Employee - SMC in Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - SMC in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, great people to work with most of the time, company is understanding for family issues or short lead for time off

Cons

Management has favorites. You have to play the game and drink the cool aid to move up. If you are not a minority or woman you will not move up. If you are not a yes man you will not move up. Management spends all days in meetings and then wonders why nothing is accomplished. A lot of buzz words are used but are not actually followed: LEAN

Instead of surrounding your self with yes men, work with those with talent. There will continue to be a revolving door of people until there is a fair opportunity. The most valuable resource in any company is your employees.

Intense and professional

Former Employee - Logistics Engineer
    Former Employee - Logistics Engineer

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Excellent co-workers. Good resources: computers, software, subject experts. Pay and benefits were good. They were very understanding when I had to deal with illness or deaths in the family.

Cons

Management did not do a good job of managing customer's expectations. If the customer wanted any new project, it was assigned to the team, without additional resources. Some of the best team members left for other companies for better pay and a reasonable work-load.

Consider your worker's time as a precious and limited resource. Keep the customer's expectations at a level that the team can achieve. "Under-promise and Over-deliver".

Job is ok for awhile not long term

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Local work. Able to provide equipment when needed. Safety bonuses.

Cons

Too many to list for my location but it depends on the location. Contract has forced me to have the same pay for 4 years. More responsibility and same pay.

Shops do not do what DVCRs ask them to do. My poor justdgement, but out of necessity I have driven my Truck at times when I shouldnt have because the load had to get o the customer. The shops do not do thier jobs half the time because they are too busy or too lazy and UNION so I havent figured that one out yet, Im getting another job ASAP.

Overall I would say, overworked and under paid.

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Decent work-life balance, good hours, benefits are ok, managers can be understanding

Cons

Under paid, compared to all other logistics companies, Ryder seems to pay way less. Growth within the company can be at a stand still and when setting a what seemed like completely realistic goal, HR stated it was too aggressive.

Recognize your employees and promote them fairly and timely. Help them advance to the next salary level if they are stuck.

Ryder System Photos