Ryder System Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014
Updated 26 August 2014

2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching (in 10 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people with good intent.

Current Employee - Logistics Project Manager  in  Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Project Manager in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are really great. Our office culture is pretty good, they try to show appreciation to employees and keep people informed through Town Hall meetings. Personally, I've had a good experience working here or I wouldn't have stayed so long.

Cons

Only way to get a real raise is to get a promotion, which I don't agree with. Once you get to a management position it is hard to move to a different account or vertical. Customer dictates everything - can sometimes lead to not having an identity as a Ryder employee. Customer demands can make it difficult to find time for training.

Need to really look at the culture of mainly giving raises via promotions. It should be easier to obtain merit raises for employees that may not be ready for a promo.

Good experience

Current Employee - Logistics Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company gives alot of experience

Cons

Contract employment is risky, not guaranteed.

Provide more advancement oppurtunities

Not a bad job if you dont mind the work

Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are set for the most part and you are paid an hourly wage.

Cons

Sometimes the managers dont know what they are doing. It was hard to get into the required classes to move up.

You have good workers, get them the training they need.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GOOD

Current Employee - Customer Logistics Manager  in  Niagara Falls, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Logistics Manager in Niagara Falls, NY (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent culture, good base pay

Cons

lack of safety focus, long hours, terrible raise structure

too much work not enough time, not enough help from the supervisors

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

people, benefits, DOO really wants to take care of their employees

Cons

employees not pulling their own weight, supervisors lazy, pay is not enough for the work load and responsibility

more training, compensation for the work load, and time off for so much over time worked, management needs to look into temp employees when shops are short people, supervisors need to step up and discipline employees and not be biased to others/treat everyone the same (management 101)

Learn and quickly move on.

Current Employee - Transportation Analyst  in  Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Analyst in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience within Supply Chain...you have the opportunity to learn all aspects of transportation management.

Cons

Very demanding workload. Cannot be proactive only reactive due to internal/external requests. Often times having to take work home just to stay "some what" above water. Employees do no receive raises either...promotions are the only means to increase salary. Lastly, the training is very minimal...you have to learn a lot on the fly & depending on your department, there will definitely be a substantial amount of info to take in.

Take more time to train and develop staff. The "learn on the fly" approach only frustrates and hinders the professional development of staff and lowers moral of the entire office. The distribution of workload needs to be more realistic as well...setting realistic goals for respective teams enhances productivity.

Used to be good, Now there is too much politics, cronyism & nepotism.

Current Employee - Logistics Engineer  in  Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Engineer in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ryder is an established stable company. The company offers average benefits and pay. Decent work life balance and nice office facilities. Cafeteria etc

Cons

The Novi office is fully of cronyism and nepotism. The Sr Management hire their friends and relatives into higher level open positions instead of offering promotions based on merit and achievement. Husband and wife working in the same department is common even in senior position. Sr management pretends that there is no effect on employee morale.

Sr Management will create dummy high level positions for their friends and their wives. There is a lot more focus on politics and career as opposed to doing your job. For every project there are 6-8 Sr management, people involved telling 2-3 people how they should do their work.

Very slow to learn new technologies and make changes in the company

Overall the Novi office is a terrible place to work if you are interested in career advancement and actually doing any meaningful work.

Stop the nepotism and cronyism.
    Start acknowledging your problems
    Don't just talk about ethics, start demonstrating ethical practices

over worked underpaid and management needs to learn how to discipline the workers that really don't work!

Current Employee - Material Handler/Analyst  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Material Handler/Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

most workers are really good people and real easy to work with.

Cons

to many workers take advantage of the weak management who really have given up on trying to keep people in line,it makes for horrible work days .i know of multiple people who have to seek help to get through the day and that's from the professionals that have medical credentials.i see people struggle financially ,everything is going up except the wage .they keep us all labeled as basic warehouse people so they don't have to pay us as what we really do ,like analyst is just a material handler and gets paid the same not professional.

grow a pair and talk to corp.

The account that I am on is lousy, upper management cares nothing about you or safty

Current Employee - Relay Driver  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Relay Driver in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for less than a year

Pros

All account managers are not like mine, I have talked to some good ones, the company does not like to lose drivers they do what they can to keep you.

Cons

In the same sense they really need to find a better way to keep account managers in line with their policies because it is the managers that run good people off.

If you really want to prove that you care for your employees, you need to pay attention to the evidence that we provide, because My manager in niagra falls is abusive and if you dont get him under control some will proably get hurt, and it will be on you because we provided you with hard proof!

MMC Customer Coordinator II

Current Employee - Customer Coordinator II  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Coordinator II in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stong company, new department with future growth.
    Average health insurance options available

Cons

-Below market hourly rate, poor yearly reviews and below cost of living raises if you lucky.
    -Micro managed no trust in employee's, promotions only within the department no room for advancement.
    -Constant change in customer needs, no proper training more of an learn as you go department.
    -Multiple veterans with the companys best interest in mind, however management fails to fix or resolve major issues with customer relations.
    -Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance
    -Management has no set times to come in to work come as they please.
    -Hipocrite to policys put in place to include no collaberation amongst other peers.
    -No set job description constant changing task on hand by multiple supervisiors and managers daily to help better supervisors yearly reviews.
    -Outsource of work to other companys representing Ryder logo losing customer relations and business.

Place more value in your employees, multiple highly skilled employee doing low end work in this department. Multiple employees are looking for better career advancement outside of ryder.

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!