Ryder System Reviews

Updated 30 September 2014
Updated 30 September 2014
2.8

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching (in 12 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company and people.

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Company culture and people are great!

Cons

No room for advancement, not competitive wages.

Promote from within.

One of the Industry leaders

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with a variety of customers, across multiple industry verticals. Retail, Automotive, etc.
    Flexible work hours, as long as you get the work done.
    Good bonus structure for managers and above.
    Competitive 401K match.

Cons

Annual merit increases are not even par with cost of living adjustments, 2% is the standard. Average Benefits.
    Opportunities for advancement really depends on the group you are part of.
    Customer expectation management is terrible which puts an enormous pressure on employees to deliver quality results within a very short turnaround time.

Pay attention to the details and differentiate between work horses and slime balls. The culture of piling on work on the good ones and letting the others slide needs to be changed to retain the best talent.

11 Year employee

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are great people who work there. Depending on your job role there can be good training. Chances for growth if you are willing to relocate or travel. Cross training is available in some areas.

Cons

Low raises and merits, company is not one to take risks so changes can take a long time to implement. Do not always have the best tools available to do your job so there are a lot of manual processes. Communication in the field is not usually good. Managers are set in their ways and not good managers of change. IT infrastructure and support is bad. Little to no chance for advancement if you cannot relocate or travel.

Look at creating more jobs for virtual team environments to provide a greater internal talent leverage. Do more cross training with other accounts and divisions. Improve on the IT infrastructure and support. Look at providing better training to the field, don't push the cost to the location.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ryder making things move

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Great advancement opportunities especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Not much business in the Pacific NW

Excellent workplace for MBA's

Former Employee - Finance Director  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Significant cross-functional opportunities and interesting work

Cons

Work-Life challenges but opportunities balance out

Continue practice of promotions from within

Good company with good leadership

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid company with consistent growth even in slow economy. Sr. Management seems to care about employees. Diversified culture throughout organization. Employee engagement is encouraged. Recognized as a leader in the transportation industry.

Cons

Compensation is low compared to others in the industry. Training could be better. Annual increases are not merit based and are barely a cost of living increase. Not a lot of room for advancement within the company. While many exciting things happen at the corporate office, employees in the field are not always included in the excitement.

Great company culture...

Former Employee - GLM  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - GLM in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Support and access from director level management on up.

Cons

Difficult to advance without relocation.

Consider looking outside the box for alternative solutions to common problems.

Ryder somewhat ok,but techs shouldn't stay longer then a couple of years,then move on,or else the company turns into a dead end

Current Employee - Diesel Tech III
    Current Employee - Diesel Tech III

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ok pay, clean well lit shops, correct equipment to complete jobs the correct and safe way , up to date oem training classes, emphasis on ppe and they supply some of it.

Cons

promises of advancement in the company,but that's not possible unless you move to another shop, when problems arise between techs, let the service manager ,and hr know what's going on and nothing is done about it, they are quite content to let problems fester until one tech leaves the company. Ryder drags it's feet to give the techs a raise and the score card metric is a joke...it's supposed to be a personal performance evaluation but there is a section on the evaluation for the business unit numbers,as well as the shops numbers...complete bs!...just another tool in managements tool box for giving the techs as little of a raise as possible. At my shop there are techs who work,and techs that skate,we let management know what's going on and nothing is done to correct the problem. Horrible benefits packages offered, that offer less coverage along with a higher premium payment every year, oh and the employee pays for 55 percent of the premium as well, and if you opt not to take the coverage,the company does not do the right thing and pay you the difference because they don't have to carry you on insurance...I guess they just absorb what they would have paid for you.

Take care of the people who take care of your business, and watch them perform to the very peak of ability for you! Show them you care, and that they are not just a number.

Good people with good intent.

Current Employee - Logistics Project Manager  in  Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Project Manager in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are really great. Our office culture is pretty good, they try to show appreciation to employees and keep people informed through Town Hall meetings. Personally, I've had a good experience working here or I wouldn't have stayed so long.

Cons

Only way to get a real raise is to get a promotion, which I don't agree with. Once you get to a management position it is hard to move to a different account or vertical. Customer dictates everything - can sometimes lead to not having an identity as a Ryder employee. Customer demands can make it difficult to find time for training.

Need to really look at the culture of mainly giving raises via promotions. It should be easier to obtain merit raises for employees that may not be ready for a promo.

Good experience

Current Employee - Logistics Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company gives alot of experience

Cons

Contract employment is risky, not guaranteed.

Provide more advancement oppurtunities

Ryder System Photos

Ryder Systems

+ Add Photo

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!