Ryder System

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros:
  • "The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work in a good environment, good pay and benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance does not exist"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management will stab you in the back in a heartbeat"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Work

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLot's of opportunities to grow and develop. Well compensated. Get to work around some extremely bright and talent people. One of the few opportunities to work for a Fortune 500 company in South Miami. Companies has good benefits and is well respected in the industry.

ConsWorked a lot of hours. Many times over 60. The people I worked for are smart and hardworking. However, there were not many good leaders. What I mean by this is people that were really concerned with the development and growth of the people they lead. They seemed more concerned with their own development and growth and their people second. They went through formal review process but there was little substance. The company reworded hard work and results over great leadership. Many people got great short term results while sacrificing many people in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake leaders think about how much time they really spend coaching and developing all of their people. It should be a much higher percentage of their time. Too much time is in meetings and with clients and that is what they have a team for. Spend more time coaching and developing your best people and don't just assume they are fine and will figure it out.

NA

Senior Logistics Manager (Former Employee)
Fontana, CA (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood company to work for

ConsThey expect you to be married to your job

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Move up you must move

I have been working at Ryder System full-time

ProsGreat people to work with. A lot of investment in employees

ConsTo move up I'm the company you are required to move around the state.

Great Opportunities for Growth

Finance Director (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery dynamic workforce, and company is peppered with great talent!

ConsAt many times, company is conservative in its approach to growth and strategy

Great place to work

I have been working at Ryder System

ProsCompetitive salary and nice people to work with

ConsA lot of hours at times and very demanding metrics to meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide accurate and efficient employee reviews.

Poor show of leadership

Driver Men's Wearhouse (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation is the only thing they have going for them.

ConsLast minute dispatch. Paperwork normally not ready. Getting ifta stickers and compliance paperwork is a nightmare. Young management that just can't seem to get it together. They treat you like dirt.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a company based around your core values. The support is not there for employees and the practice of putting so much red tape around the individuals that can help you is annoying.

Great Company with fabulous leadership

Human Resource Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company strives to support and engage its employees. The company is financially strong and is recognized as an industry leader that continues to grow. I have worked with many talented and dedicated people throughout the Ryder organization.

ConsComparitively, Ryder's salary for managers is lower than industry averages. Due to the nature and scope of geography, you must be willing, in most cases, to reloate to advance your career.

Excellent Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, plenty of training, execllent resources, and compensates well

Conswork you to beyond normal human levels. the amount of minutia is frustratingly ridiculous. conference calls to schedule conference calls to schedule meetings extends the work day to where you may just make enough to qualify for mininum wage status.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on making money and keeping as much as you can. hire good people, set expectations, and then get out of the way.

Lots Of Opportunities

Rental Management Trainee (Current Employee)
Fontana, CA (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

ProsRyder is an international public company.

Positives:
*Growth Opportunity
*High level of industry exposure
*Industry Leader
*Good Compensation

ConsNegatives:
*Centralized hiring
*High stress, High workload
*Competition between departments
*IT Infrastructure needs upgrades

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I enjoy working at Ryder. The pay is good and there is a lot of opportunity for growth. Ryder's strength is in their employees. In general, they hire highly qualified individuals that add to the team atmosphere. On the flip side, management needs to work on translating their metrics into realistic goals and action plans. The friction between departments, performance metrics, and IT infrastructure need to be examined and/or upgraded. Too much is demanded out of certain positions which makes for very high levels of stress and at times undesirable workplace atmosphere.

Corporate-ey but good

Customer Logistics Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for less than a year

ProsStructure, stability, culture, opportunity, expansion

ConsExtremely corporate minded. Superfluous paperwork and process

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!

Ryder System Videos

Ryder System – Why Work for Us?

Making Commerce Flow Ryder System, Inc. is a leading provider of commercial transportation, logistics, and supply chain management solutions, serving customers throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Over the past… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryder System reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ryder System CEO Robert E. Sanchez. All 204 reviews are posted anonymously by Ryder System employees.