SCC

Updated 22 January 2015
2.3

SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Pros
  • pays mortgage can't think of anything else (in 3 reviews)

• Good people get recognised and do well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotion, no career progression, no pay rises, no recognition of your worth as an employee, no prospects, no job security, poor management (in 17 reviews)

• No pay rise in 5 years despite moving to a more technical and responsible position (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I really do not get the negative reviews....

I have been working at SCC

Pros

SCC are a family business so there is an appreciation for individual style and contribution and a dynamic approach to decision-making and moving forward. There is no unnecessary bureaucracy and the staff are "can do" people. They are both friendly and helpful, which creates a positive and productive working environment.

Cons

The Birmingham location is a little tired in places though there are facilities programmes to upgrade these.

As a new starter I have been made to feel very welcome, and like the direction the company is going in

Current Employee - Learning and Development Advisor in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Advisor in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A successful and hardworking culture.
    Willing to invest time and effort in to doing things properly.
    A high number of staff are long serving (10+ years).
    Down to earth people, who are themselves in the workplace, but still work hard.
    Takes corporate social responsibility seriously.

Cons

Policies and premises could do with being modernised - however, this is being worked on.

Stay open to change, and the additional success that modernisation of the business can bring. Definately going in the right direction.

A rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Event Coordinator
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to learn about cutting edge technology which is really fascinating. There is a nice friendly atmosphere and people are generally happy to help you out, regardless of department. Charity dress down days and other communal activities are a nice perk, along with some rewarding employee benefits (restaurant and hotel discounts etc.). We often socialise outside of work too which I really like.

Cons

The inter-department communication is poor and that does mean delivering projects on time is made more difficult.

A better time-in-lieu policy would be appreciated and increased inter-department communication.

Positive so far

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My time here has been positive thus far. It seems like a lot of negative reviews have come from engineers or warehouse staff. I can only comment on my own experience here, and as a recent member of the team SCC does seem like a good company to work for.

There is opportunity for progression (even if it isn't a direct promotion) via training and courses. I guess it is more about seeing the opportunity in your job, rather than waiting for someone to give it to you.

Experiences with senior management have been very positive; CEO seems very friendly, in fact most sen. management do. Of course, there is the odd grumpy or rude manager/director etc. but you'll get there at any company.

Day to day work is good, and I fortunately work in a fun and positive team with very friendly people. As a whole, other staff/colleagues are friendly too.

Cons

-You do need to ask for extra opportunities etc. Don't wait to be given pay rise/training etc. Just go and get it.
    -Like with other big companies, things do move slowly.
    -Birmingham campuses are out-dated and a bit grim, but there is work to improve this.

Keep improving the staff experience. Happy staff = increased productivity.

Happy days

Current Employee - Software in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm really impressed with SCC. It's had a really good year and continues to grow and develop. With the company's growth and successes has come my own. I have been promoted and had a pay rise in 2014. This is how businesses should be when things are going well for them. The restructure has been very positive and ensured that the right people are in the right places, getting rid of the non-performers. SCC is highly recommended

Cons

Not many. The main office is tired looking and the employee benefits need adjusting, other than that Snr management are responsive to the change and you can see the improvement in how SCC now operates and performs. Leadership is much stronger than in past years due to changes in management from the restructure and new people. Overall, I am very happy

Company values could do with a refresh

I really do not get the positive reviews......

I have been working at SCC full-time

Pros

The management are all a 'can do' and 'will do' and 'must do' management which is good till you realise you have not been provided with the tools to complete the job in question safely and quickly.

Cons

Scc are a family run business, but it ends there. They could not care if you missed your wife's funeral at all, they'd question why do you need to go to the funeral. Honestly . The company keeps stepping backwards time and time again. Most unfriendly management I have ever worked with.

Ethically Bankrupt Company

I worked at SCC

Pros

You and your colleagues will form strong bonds through your common suffrage (there are many nice people working there; expect to see people in tears on a regular basis). There is a policy for just about everything. The staff manual and then there are a bunch of supplemental policy documents. The policies are entirely discretionary, so you get to follow them but management will do whatever they want. A good but shocking example was when senior management withdrew 3 hours compassionate leave from a colleague (although it had been granted by his line manager) who's mother had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer (and who died 5 weeks later).
    If you are lucky enough to come over to SCC via TUPE, then you can be secure in the knowledge that (if they want shot of you) they will figure out a way to get rid of you by making life as awkward as possible. If you would like to work for an ethically bankrupt company then this will be your dream job.

Cons

In my opinion, management position themselves to have complete control over you. A lot is captured in policy but don't expect them to stick to that. They may use policy against you and ignore it when suits them.
    It's "our way or the highway". Even if you choose the highway, senior management may become spiteful and make your exit very uncomfortable. I saw this happen several times and overheard their plotting too.
    Lack of professional ethics - you could expect to see (or be a victim of) severe bullying. I witnessed an individual routinely bullied to the point where myself and other colleagues were worried about his mental well-being.
    They may threaten your reputation or to damage your career if you go fall-out with them. Unless you can afford to sue them, don't fall out with them! Be meek and subdued, become the victim they want you to be and try to escape with as few ripples as possible. Make written records of any incidents issues / call ACAS to get advice if you are concerned about anything.
    I've heard accounts from colleagues of mangers being totally humiliated at the senior managers meetings.
    I've witnessed staff being asked to complete tasks that they don't know how to approach and given no support from senior management (other than being chastised for doing a poor job). Ask for clarification at your peril. You may be derided, berated and treated like an idiot for several hours (and called back in every day for a week for a re-run each day). But during all these hours they will lavish on you, you may not receive any actual guidance as that (ironically) would be considered a waste of their time.
    -Poor working environment
    -Hitler mentality as far as work ethics and compassion therefore high turnover
    -They will fire you more quickly than you can blink
    -No progression what so ever
    -Directors out of touch and don't value their employees
    -Huge contract written mainly in their benefit
    -Dont expect a raise

Time for the directors to come out of the comfy setup and see what's really going on. Maybe a bit more TLC, treat lower level staff with more dignity, bring the pay up to reflect the hours worked and then watch the staff turnover come down

WORST BIGGEST PRIVATELY RUN IT COMPANY IN EUROPE
    YOU WILL WORK WITH RODENTS

I worked at SCC

Pros

If you are willing to con/lie to customers do manual closure and ask for no pay rise work 24/7 without getting paid any overtime – if you are one of the lucky ones then you might get paid flat rate 3 month later. You must have no life willing to be a cleaner courier and work with rodents you will be promoted to OTL and be used like a disposable toilet tissue. OTLs have no say in anything if you are nice OTL you get kicked out very quickly

Cons

No training no pay rise treated like dirt no respect.
    OTLs (operation team leaders) are used to do the dirty work beat these poor engineers oops couriers cleaners and give false promises – what normally happens they pick up anybody with no qualification or experience and use them for 2 years people then get fed-up and leave.
    SCC has one of the highest staff turnovers in the UK,

Is this because of the high standards of slavery yes!!!!

You think people are stupid to believe the five star reviews are true, everyone who worked for this bad company knows how ruthless this management and the owners are. I can only describe them as criminals they take advantage of vulnerable people provide the worst customer service they only win contracts because they are cheap but when customers realise how bad the service is they leave when a big company wants to terminate a contract with SCC, SCC run the contract on a loss to keep them so they can market SCC if they are good enough for a big company they good enough for other companies sadly a lots of companies have been stung

Poor Management, NO leadership and low paying jobs with management users and abusers with long hours

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Treated with contempt by all levels of management. No training, Holidays refused, Management will routinely lie to customers & staff.
    No pay rises - Even after years of service.
    Moral amongst all stall - even lover / middle management has evaporated.
    No progression.

Cons

As someone else has already mentioned expect to be sold a pack of lies by management about the job, career opportunities and the business in general.

Any problems you have will be swept under the carpet or they will try and bully boy you into doing them anyway....management have a mentality set way back in the past. My line manager was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard, I would have learnt more from watching the clouds float by.

My advice to anyone thinking of joining is you would gain more technical skills working in a zoo

No point