SCC

Be The First To
Add Photos

SCC Chief Executive James Rigby

James Rigby

help customers drive out costs and achieve operational efficiencies across the infrastructure

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Strasbourg (France)

ProsSeveral Solution Areas based on Strategic Partners

Consthe matriciel inertia of some countries, such as France

Advice to Senior Managementallow the potentials to act and do not contain

Was glad to leave. The owners were motivated by "what is in it for me".

Technical Support (Former Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery few. I was employed on a managed service contract so fortunately didn't have to visit the Birmingham HQ.

ConsNo promotion, no career progression, no pay rises, no recognition of your worth as an employee, no prospects, no job security, poor management. I was there for 8 years and spent most of that time looking for another job, but working for SCC and not having any training at all goes against you. Despite learning in my own time and carrying out tasks of somebody well above my pay grade was never recognised. An interim or probationary role can last for 5 years with SCC. Pay rises were always at least 1 percent below inflation and was frozen for the last 3 years with the company (despite the company making record profits during those 3 years). The owner actually bought Coventry airport and a chain of hotels during this time and the family employees always received great dividends.

I was actually told by my immediate manager once that I was lucky to have a job. That Victorian attitude was permeated throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value and reward your staff you will get a lot more from them. Running a company purely for your own gains is all well and good but doesn't make staff work harder.

For beginers

Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee)
Iaşi (Romania)

I have been working at SCC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCertifications, on time salary, life insurance

ConsBreathing is near to impossible because we are to many and the ac is asthmatic, chairs are not wired otherwise they could be electrical, very uncomfortable, claustrophobic offices, bad smels etc is a very long list

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to go to school. In Iasi we have some universities teaching you to be a manager. Without guidance you are only some babies playing adults roole. Try to get organised.

Just don't

I have been working at SCC full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are no pro's. No prospects, no pay rises, no training, terrible no nothing managers, the list is endless.

ConsAs per above. Do not work for this amateurish company. You will not be happy. No prospects. No pay rises. No appreciation. Very poor salary, £18000 is considered high.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an idea of what you are managing before trying. The worst managers I have ever worked for and I've had a few!

A sales driven organisation that doesn't like to pay sales men

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people at branch level who are all driven and self-motivated! They need to be with the ridiculously weak Branch management

ConsFilled with "Yes men" at middle management level, senior level is insular and incestuous. A handful of salesman are given deals and then lauded as heroes, the remainder have commission with-held and have to be VERY grateful when they do get paid! The "teacher's pet" mentality means there are a few mediocre kiss-ass individuals that are awarded and promoted, the rest slog their guts out until they are driven to leave!

Great people to work with, very satisfied!

Intern (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at SCC as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexibility, opportunity to learn and develop

Consjust that working hours might be long at times

WORK FOR PEANUTS TO RECEIVE ABUSE AND THREATS (similar to a dictatorship or the mafia)

Engineer (Former Employee)
Ealing, England (UK)

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was given a SCC branded pen when i joined the company many years ago, but when the ink ran out they did not replace it for another pen. I had to use the customers pens in the bookies.

ConsManagement tell you to your face that this company is not a good company to work for, they tell you that your better off looking for another job with better pay because there is no pay rises with this company, despite a huge growth and profits in the last 4 years. My manager told me we all need to join a union to force a pay rise out of them as thats the only possible way.

The young and ambitious engineers do not last long, 2 years maximum or mainly a lot less. There is a lot of OAP engineers who are using SCC as a retirement home.... still on there 19k when they started 16 years ago. Yes 19k 54 years old and working on servers....ouch. A huge kick in the goolies considering the qualification they have done not to mention college, university and everything else to become 'A PROFESSIONAL COMPUTER ENGINEER'.

SCC have it written in a contract with a customer that they have to have 'technical couriers' who drive around a van with tv's and other parts to hand to engineers and help with 2 or 3 man jobs. SCC employes these technical couriers but on there first day or within 2 weeks they are asked to complete technical engineer calls on there own. Eventually they will do engineering calls on there own everyday and promised they will become engineers. They are on 14k. SCC win the contracts and then look for the cheapest options to make maximum profit for themselves, at the same time destroying customers sites and doing an incredibly poor job.

Before i left SCC we was told if we cannot complete jobs that we need to call our team leader who is not technical, so that he can advise on how we can fix the problem. On one occasion i was told to shove a piece of paper in a network port to hold the cable in place and close the call (the network port was damaged). Complete monkey comedy. On another occasion i was told to buy a switch from pcworld to complete a job within SLA which the switch would of cost over £100 i promptly refused. Another time i was told to buy a plug and fuse from B&Q to fix a faulty plug on a CRT tv (yes we did not do I.T jobs mostly AV), we was not trained to do electrician jobs. Another time we was given hacksaws to cut padlocks off of TV's that are holding them onto the brackets, the hacksaw was the cheapest they could find and couldnt cut into the padlock. We was not given protective gloves or eye protection or training. There has been no training to protect us from the electrician, lock smiths, TV specialist jobs that we was doing. Then they want to give us TV bracket installation training.

I joined the company as a IT field support engineer. I was doing everything other than computer related calls, i am sure the next contract they win would of been window cleaning job or litter picking job or maybe a leaf blower in a travelodge car park.

Complete and utter shambles of management who are fighting to save their job, some come into work early and leave late with no extra pay just to show they are committed. They expect engineers to complete work in there own time and start work early without extra pay too.

SCC engineers and other staff need to stand your ground, know what your rights are and show your not a push over. Do not allow them to fool you into living your life on the edge scared you may get an illegal counselling form or disciplinary for breathing. Do not allow them to use the line 'theres no other jobs out there' or 'your lucky you have a job'. SCC engineers are better than this.

SCC should change their name to STHMJOATOAWOSS = SPECIALIST TV HANDYMAN MUG JACK OF ALL TRADE ON A WAGE OF A SHELF STACKER (dot com)

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as your making a wage, nothing matters right?

Professional Crooks

Field Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNo Pros simple criminal organization who is willing to make money out of people`s misery (sounds like mafia to me).

ConsCons simple PLENTY SCC likes to use stats to beat engineers with so we have 25 reviews only one gives 5 stars hmmm that's 0.04% against 99.96% tells you a lot (LOL it reminds me of the 100% first time fixes). With out repeating the 24 reviews I share and echo everything has been said this company is the worst example of how to run a business. Just to remind people HR get paid by SCC, so don't expect them to be nice to you unless you are willing to pay them more. Ah one more thing the management asked me to spy on follow engineers so be careful of the old engineers they know they cant find another job so they just spy on engineers to keep their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to hill crooks you are heartless, irresponsible and corrupt bunch criminals

Lasted 1 month

Engineer (Former Employee)
Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at SCC full-time for less than a year

ProsI tried to think but honestly I could not come up with anything.... I did try.

ConsSo I have worked for scc for a month before leaving. Firstly I want to say I was given false promises and mislead from the word go. I was employed and promised I would take care of a specific area, however I found myself from the beginning going to birmingham and wales to do calls. The managers are a bunch of morons havnt got a single clue what rhey are doing. They fool you into thinking you will cover a certain area yet always dragged a million miles away then they complain when sla's are running out and ask you to let the call centre in romania close the call... no doubt for their own gain. Yet I was told I must utilise my handheld brick pda at all times... very funny comedy show and I am glad I am out.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo hopers.... good luck though.

Overall a good experience, though let down at the end by company politics. Good technical people

Solution Architect (Former Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at SCC as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe technical teams are excellent, with a good mix of skills and levels of expertise

ConsNot enough made of people's strengths, with not enough focus on training or staff retention

Worked for SCC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SCC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SCC CEO James Rigby. All 32 reviews are posted anonymously by SCC employees.