SEIU
www.seiu.org Washington, DC 500 to 999 Employees

SEIU Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014
SEIU – Washington – “SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo…”

SEIU President Mary Kay Henry

Mary Kay Henry

Pros:
  • "Work with some very interesting people"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great co-workers and good benefits"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "SEIU wears it's reputation for a terrible work/life balance as a badge of honor"
    in 9 reviews
  • "No work life balance (you are expected to drop your life with little to no notice)"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, great mission, terrible management

Field Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOrganizers, researchers, communicators and admin staff are some of the most dedicated to the cause, hard-working people you'll meet.

ConsCareer advancement is rare and highly politicized, internal deliberations are opaque, senior management has no respect for staff. The management-staff culture in the field and at headquarters is dysfunctional. Work is siloed and closely directed, with little done to harness the passion and creativity of people who work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote talented managers rather than politically connected hard workers.

Great place to make a difference

I have been working at SEIU full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting people, chance to work on innovative projects within the labor movement, opportunities to really grow and explore new things (but sometimes you have to look for them.).

ConsLong hours, and there can be lots of travel. You have to make a conscious effort to balance work and life.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff development is an area that can always use more work.

HORRIBLE

Anonymous (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at SEIU full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Cause. Nice, smart workers.I came to this organization thinking I could make a difference. Benefits are great.

ConsMany!!!They lie to you to get you to start working, then they take back what they offered. My manager took credit for my work and felt threatened when I accomplished something.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs sensitivity training.

Worst union staff job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than a year

ProsNice coworkers, hardworking members, convenient location, excellent work life balance. I am stretching to write anything else positive because the leadership of this union is an absolute joke.

ConsTotally devoid of credible leadership, both senior staff and elected. These folks in leadership do the absolute least required by law for their members. They hire atrocious people to management positions while stifling the growth of internal staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire senior staff that will implement a program your members deserve.

Hypocrits!!

Legal Secretary (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost of the rank & file employees are great to work with

ConsManagement is a labor union who projects the image to protect members from a hostile work environment, then uses employees and then burns them for no reason. They do exactly what they are supposed to protect their members from, to their own employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new Management!!!

It's a great mission and does amazing things for the members but not the staff

Communications Specialist (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat mission, awesome people to work with. Lot's of fun at the office, a sense of comittment and community among co-workers.

ConsNo room to move up, they never promote from within, you have to literally fight for a raise. Management gets bonuses but the staff gets stuck with a bad contract. At one point management offered a 1% raise...ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff! They are the army making everything possible. Make them feel appreciated.

A supportive, forward-thinking institution committed to social & economic justice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart, effective coworkers. The organization works on wide range of issues and fights, and most staff have an opportunity to occasionally change roles and work on different teams. Beautiful office space in a great location. They also offer excellent benefits.

ConsInternal politics are driving excellent, talented staff out of the organization. There is not a culture of transparency and trust. Simply doing a great job is not enough to thrive in this organization, especially at the most senior levels. You must be willing to play politics to get work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how much staff turnover is costing the union (and its members) and do something about it.

Intervention Required

Organizer (Former Employee)

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOn job training, good co workers, devoted members.

ConsLong irregular hours. No family life. Married to the job. No life balance. Too much politics and corruption!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you say you are fighting for social justice, proof it.

Good

I have been working at SEIU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers and good benefits

ConsLack of opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter relations with local staff

good

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at SEIU full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood people to work with, great benefits. $0 copay for both medical and dental

Consbecause it's a union, pays are not great, but the benefits more than makes up for it

Worked for SEIU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SEIU reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SEIU CEO Mary Kay Henry. All 59 reviews are posted anonymously by SEIU employees.