SGS

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros:
  • "Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great place to learn about the industry and gain experience to add to your resume"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Traditional Management, less scope of growth, Low Pay, Retainership, Unorganised work, No training and Development initiatives"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good work Timings,Good job profile, less scope of growth, Traditional Management.

Trade Analyst (Former Employee)
Vikhroli

I worked at SGS full-time for less than a year

ProsWork Timings, One of the Leading MNC in its line of business, Less traveling( walkable distance from Kanjurmarg station).

ConsTraditional Management, less scope of growth, Low Pay, Retainership, Unorganised work, No training and Development initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should adopt dynamic and professional way of approach rather being traditional,
The growth of employees should be mostly based on performance not based on tenure. The way of working needs to be re-framed so that it is organised. Effective training should be given based on the projects.

in sgs my skill and knowlege is improve

QA/QC Engineer (Current Employee)
Ahmedabad

I have been working at SGS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSGS is TPI compny so all time different different work is coming so our skill and knowlege is improve

ConsSGS downside lot of project is working on.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur upper management is very good for empl.

Working with SGS since August 2006

Coordinator (Current Employee)
Gāndhīdhām

I have been working at SGS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity of gaining knowledge and information.

ConsNo getting a satisfactory post/position in organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrompt service to client is required by updating results and other reports quickly, hence good lab chemist, staff and good field staff required or retained.

SGS Is the best co. for everyons future

Operation Executive (Former Employee)
Mumbai

I worked at SGS full-time for less than a year

ProsFor Batter Future Of My career & My Future

ConsThere is no downside for working profession

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Advice From Me to Management

Nice

Calibration Engineer (Former Employee)
Ahmedabad

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Multinational company with best management

Conssome time you have to compromise your social life

Encourage freedom to work and integrity is the top priority

Manager Certification-Food Certification Services (Current Employee)
Calcutta

I have been working at SGS full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGot exposure to work with global technical team and free hand to improve knowledge

ConsBeing Eurpean company little bit Orthodox in operation

Could be better and even bigger...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal structure, worldwide matrix organization, in case of proper management support, you can find your way to go ahead and to be promoted. Best in class! Support of good ideas. (If!) Diversified portfolio, omnipresence in each industry. Many professional people all around. Lot of available resource globally. Excellent high level corporate concepts, strategies and values.

ConsAt a certain manager level too many politicians. Old style ones are chasing short term targets on anyway (i.e: current budget, mainly in terms of LC) They are going to keep their chairs for few years, especially before retirement and as a consequence they do not take a risk to invest in the future growth. They are blocking to broadcast many good ideas to the upper level management. Immediate re-organisation even for interim business drop. Lack of synergies between business lines. Very slow decision making! (From initial ideas till approval/refusal). The structure is not well prepared to integrate the new concepts, business styles, ideas, but they broadcast permanently: think out of box! You can be the best up to a certain level for many years, but above it you can be evaluated on different way by loosing your achievements and recognitions from the past within a minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementBroadcast and implement the global business and HR strategies down to the execution level and keep motivation of people all around. Reduction of middle management as has been done cca 1 decade ago. Get rid of staff, who is living for internal bureaucracy only, when they should have a customer relation in their own position. Better and more direct top management control on mid level managers and better listening directly to the voice of staff involved in execution. Future talents are here!

I made a career of it.

Anchorage, AK (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time

ProsPeople, freedom to learn, part of a winning team. The company does alot to make people feel like they belong to a team. They take everyone to the state fair, the whole lab goes to a rented out theater for a movie and pizza once a year, etc. We really come together as a team. You must be a team player to have fun and do a good work.

ConsWork can be challenging during the busy season.

Loader

Loader (Current Employee)
Baytown, TX (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time for less than a year

ProsI would say I like how flexible they are with other things you have going on in your life. It is a very easy job, the hardest part about the job is dealing with the weather.

ConsThe biggest challenge about working at this job is getting paid more. At this job you basically get paid $17 for the same work that operators do and make $25 a hour at most places.

Dock Operators no chance to move up in the company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at SGS

ProsThe job its self it not bad its pretty easy. good group of guy to work with. Get to work outside.

ConsThe pay is low you have to put in 20 hrs of ot a week to get a good pay check which is easy to get if your short on staff. The pay is pretty much 17 you get a dollar rasie every yr for 3yrs then your max out unless you get a shift lead spot good luck on getting that.The 410k is the only good benefit all the others the deductibleis is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more chances to move up in the company maybe be doing this you will keep them for longer periods. Instead of training them and they go into the refinery so they can make more money for the same job.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SGS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SGS CEO Christopher (Chris) Kirk. All 126 reviews are posted anonymously by SGS employees.