SSE Reviews

3.2
SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

1. Challenging work for 3 yrs
    I have been working at the company for more than 3 years.

Current Employee - SSE in Bangalore
    Current Employee - SSE in Bangalore

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at the company for more than 3 years. Had the opportunity to work on large, tech challenging projects. For a small/med company Trigent has an excellent learning environment for people coming in to learn new things.

It offers maturity of a large company because it has been in business for 20 years. some older legacy projects can get boring. But they are good learning grounds and get experience

Cons

Need more fun activities

2. Working for SSE has given me the chance to find out what I'm made of.

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fair, great corporate culture, excellent colleagues and a chance to contribute to the energy networks of tomorrow. Great opportunities if you work hard enough.

Cons

The company's IT and support systems for staff could be improved. Terrible mobiles, no or terrible laptops and poor meeting services.

Advice to Management

Give us the tools to excel at our jobs, it will save our customers and our company time and money in the long run.

3. hardwork, unrewarding and confrontational

Current Employee - Project Team Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package, long term savings i.e. shares and pension

Cons

Little to no acknowledgement of good work, relatively low pay in the industry

Advice to Management

Spend more time with the front line staff and feedback good and bad things

5. OK...

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer

I have been working at SSE full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent salaries, good benefits and they seem to care about your safety and mental well being. Good career opportunities.

Cons

Very deeply nested corporate structure with lots of barriers and hoops to get things done. Some people are simply obstructive and add no benefit to the company.

Advice to Management

Create a more relaxed environment and culture for software developers. Developers need relaxed surroundings, peace, comfy clothing and lots of coffee to be creative and productive. Follow best practices more - code reviews, unit testing etc. Embrace change and stop saying "this is how SSE do it".

6. Big Company

I have been working at SSE

Pros

Good Place to Work. Safety is the priority for everyone.

Cons

Decision making process is slow

Advice to Management

Needs to improve

7. Lots of opportunities

I have been working at SSE

Pros

A Great place to work

Cons

No real changes are require

8. A caring passionate company with good strong values. It's commitment to it's customers as well as employees is perfect

Current Employee - Project Team Manager in Knowsley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Team Manager in Knowsley, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The safety culture and it's approach to giving a world class service. The team work and encouragement from higher management, along with the benefits just makes this company the perfect work place

Cons

Unfortunately as a lucrative company, people will always want something for nothing. Our values of treating customers like family, though a good approach will always lead some customers to believe they can counter claim for the sake of personal greed, and as a rule I believe we sometimes spend more than is necessary to please customers.

Advice to Management

Though we are going to spend a awesome amount of money on I.T. this year, something which we have been asking for sometime. I believe we could/should of invested years ago

9. challenging

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I get on well with the people i work with, good pay, good benefits and perks in loads of different things, eg cinema tickets, buying bikes, cars etc

Cons

we don't get told what is happening until the last minute, if there is a decision being made, we are made aware that it is happening but then don't find out the results or there is a delay, staff shortages in certain departments, we don't get enough training for certain things.

Advice to Management

They should pass more information on to the lowest level when it is concerning their jobs.

10. Not a Positive Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at SSE full-time

Pros

Steady work, at the time

Cons

Incredibly hostile and controlling management

Advice to Management

Take more of an interest in your own employees; don't sign over management to the prime contractor

11. Post nominals anyone?

Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very secure employer and stable environment to work in. The people I work with on a day-to-day basis are a great asset and certainly make the working week more enjoyable.

SSE also comes with good benefits such as pension scheme, shares scheme and depending on role, a company car scheme. The employment opportunities are there, you just have to go find them.

Cons

With regards to remuneration, I feel SSE do not pay the market rate when compared to comparable employers, which easily pay up to 20% more. No one can use post-nominals on business cards or emails. In an environment where credentials do matter, I feel they should be promoting the fact that they have chartered accountants etc in their payroll. Does good for a reputation.

Over the top safety policies. Being safe is all well and good, but going beyond common sense, stops critical thinking when it comes to safety. I won't list them here, but whatever senior manager reads this will know what I mean.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Don't make decisions on what you think is best without consulting the ground staff who know the job better than you do. Speak to your staff regularly.

Sometime I have to bite my lip at the latest safety sound bite. Who makes this stuff up?

Post nominals are a big thing not just for me, but for staff who have worked hard to get degrees, charterships etc. It is about time we allow the use of them to promote the academia of our organisation.

SSE Photos

Scottish & Southern Energy Depot, Malwood (Photo thanks to Geograph user Peter Facey, Some Rights Reserved)
Offices of Scottish Southern Energy, Vastern Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Templeman, Some Rights Reserved)
Scottish & Southern Slough Power Station (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Allen, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo