STERIS

STERIS Reviews

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

STERIS President & CEO Walter M. Rosebrough, Jr.

Walter M. Rosebrough, Jr.

Pros:
  • "STERIS offers a competitive paycheck, great benefits and a convenient/safe location"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good company to learn about medical devices, international environment, good ambiance"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

STERIS is nice place to work

Offshore Technical Lead (Former Employee)
Pune

I worked at STERIS full-time for more than a year

ProsVery friendly environment
No work pressure
Cool atmosphere
Good Salary
No Politics

ConsNot that much challenging projects as most them are for the internal system

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is really nice and having a good attitude to employees so I really loved working with STERIS

Great company and better people!`

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Mentor, OH (US)

I have been working at STERIS part-time for more than a year

ProsManagement and co-workers had extremely positive attitudes towards work and motivational work performance. Pay and benefits were great!

ConsWork and life balance was hard to achieve at times.

Stable company with good people

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at STERIS full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood people with integrity and customer focus, good contract presence.

ConsLack of career advancement opportunities, average compensation, slow to market new products vs. competition. Average marketing department sometimes slow to respond, or unable to offer appropriate level of expertise to field sales/customer needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in "training up" internal employees for future advancement and leadership opportunities. Improve internal talent management.

soon to be former employee

Manufacturing (Current Employee)

I have been working at STERIS full-time for more than 10 years

Prosclean working environment. At least they are offering a severance package, if they let us see it. They buy us doughnuts once in awhile.

Conspoor management. don't care at all about employees, or developing them. Favoritism. Bad management has lead to my plants closedown. Many jobs lost. Over 18 years service..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you want to hear what employees have to say. But then you shun them when they do voice themselves. Most of the management responsible for the plant shutdown are gone. And the current ones will just take new jobs within the company and could careless about the people who's jobs were eliminated. Develop the employees that you have. And don't blame the fda or the employees for the plant shutdown. It was poor management that caused the shutdown.

Employment or Servitude

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at STERIS full-time

ProsSolid company with very good benefits.

ConsAlthough STERIS is a solid company, I feel management at this company do not believe ethics and morals are important principles to follow when dealing with other human beings. I also feel that there no equality at STERIS because management believes they are well above their staff. I mean,they truly believe that even the way you speak to management should be different from anyone else you speak to simply because they are management. STERIS Corporation management encourages a culture of back stabbing and favoritism and they have already a stereotype of what a good employee is: so if you fall a little bit far from what they believe a good employee is, they you are ostracize and isolate you. They love young people and even though they hire one or two middle age people, these individuals are "rarely" considered for a fair opportunity within the company. They will tell you this is not true but they will hit you exactly on your ego, hurting your self steem and mining your confidence so it really will look like it is your fault. Thus, if you decide to work there, remember, if you are between the ages 18 and 30 ( being optimistic) you are in a good position but do not ever challenge management even if you are right, now if you are over 30 more close to 40, I would look for a more progressive open mind company who understand the value of experience and professionalism. Steris makes easy money in the Health Care industry.They do not feel there is much need of a fair management who cares about "every employee". STERIS manages like a militar regime, brain wash where younger people have little critical thinking to understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that management at steris needs to be retrained in understanding what is really like to have an open mind to what the employees have to say, do not label people STERIS. Team work is exactly about variety, have more tolerance for what is different, understand real creativity and diversity.

Decent Company, Bad Pay

Field Service Representative (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at STERIS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company treats it's employees well. The benefits are dirt cheap and good, the car perks are great for field service, the 401K matching is very good compared to anywhere else, there is a great measure of autonomy in the job, little micromanaging, focus on safety.

ConsThe pay blows, although its half made up for in benefits, etc, the pay REALLY blows. Work life balance is hard to achieve at times, leadership is lost, product quality isn't what it used to be, metrics are killing the service workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on buying companies and corporate direction is fine, although likely overrated in terms of actual shareholder value. If there is any focus on the service team at all, it is sorely inadequate or misguided. Pay scale forces the good people out and will never attract any top talent. Metrics tied to bonuses lead to unethical decisions across the workforce, number manipulation is rampant and will end up with FDA violations or worse. New hire training (service) is broken, not from a product standpoint, but from a procedure perspective. No one knows what to do. Siebel is an disaster. Customer focused decisions will make for good service, if you try to tailor the service business to your needs (surgical division) and ignore massive decline in customer service that accompanies the choices by looking at metrics (fake data), eventually the customers will go elsewhere... By the time it effects the sales numbers it will be to late and STERIS' reputation will already be tarnished.

My experience was a good one I learned programs that will enable me to move on in my material support specialist career.

Material Support Specialist (Former Employee)
Montgomery, AL (US)

I worked at STERIS full-time for less than a year

ProsThe workers are very family like oriented.

ConsSome of the supervisors are not very knowledgeable of how to be supervisors.

The people were great; the job itself was just okay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at STERIS full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, good atmosphere, good company culture.

ConsLow pay, tedious job, frustrating advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid to advance people out of their department, even if you feel you can't afford to lose them because they perform so well. Holding people back is not fair.

Good experience

I have been working at STERIS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company to learn about medical devices, international environment, good ambiance.

ConsCharge of work to high

It was a good learning experience

Applications Developer Intern (Former Employee)
Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at STERIS as an intern for less than a year

ProsWork Culture and the enviroment

ConsEverything was perfect. I do not have any cons

Worked for STERIS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STERIS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for STERIS CEO Walter M. Rosebrough, Jr.. All 64 reviews are posted anonymously by STERIS employees.