SThree

Gary Elden

Great...whilst it lasted

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at SThree full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDefinitely a work, rest and play hard company. A meritocracy that rewards hard work with great treats like Friday beers, nights out & trips away.

ConsSupport services staff are not always treated with equity compared to those in front office ysales. Tend to put emphasis on costs over value. Lots of egos in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your staff.

Great intro into the recruitment world

Senior Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SThree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe offer you significant support and training in your first year
It's a plc, and very successful - you will feel part of a huge corporate, that offers security and career growth
Due to their size, they offer you significant resources - advertising budget, huge database, advanced CRM software
Good earning potential, especially for graduates

ConsFor such a successful firm, the senior management are not good role models
Very micro-managed sales processes, very KPI driven
One size fits all approach (certainly in my office)
Hyper competitive - one on one, teams, offices, brands. Very little team work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more creative where possible and set targets that are based on achievability.

SThree (support services): Many good colleagues but not a fair place of work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SThree full-time

ProsThey seem to pick good and interesting staff ..

Cons..and then they treat them badly. Instead of valuing people, they are micro-managed and treated like children. Managers are cliquish with each other but would not associate with other staff in an honest manner. All the good people are trying to leave. Managers monopolise the best tasks and do not share them in order to develop their team.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you would like to be treated.
Notice people's hard work and give them credit for it.
Don't persist in disregarding some and privileging others.

Awesome place, great people and management

I have been working at SThree full-time for less than a year

ProsCareer progression; training; work/life balance

ConsUp and down sales environment can be challenging

I've been working at Sthree for about 8 months and loving it!

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SThree full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat training, friendly atmosphere, growth opportunity

Training - The training will start from day 1 and never stop. From weekly trainings, to refreshers, to the most senior people in the company conducting trainings, you are always learning something new. Whenever I have questions I know I can ask the director or even the CEO a question as easily as I could somebody 1 day into the business....that's something you don't find often.

Friendly Atmosphere - The energy is high, and the people are positive. If you have a question or need advice, not only are you welcome, but you're encouraged to approach your colleagues. Anybody in the company, myself included will drop what we're doing to help...not because we're forced to, but because we all want everybody to do well and grow.

Growth Opportunity - There are current employees who I've already see hit two promotions in their first year in the company! The Most senior people at Sthree all started as trainees; that just puts in perspective how far this company will let you grow...they'll never try to limit you. Considering the amount of growth happening across the Americas (Info that we all learned at a comped weekend in Vegas) there are so many openings being created for current and future employees - I feel very lucky to be where I am right now.

ConsSales is a roller-coaster of emotions type of job, there are somethings that can really ruin your day, if you can't move on from it you may have a tough time in this job. Also, if you want to come in and wait for the clock to hit 5pm you won't do as well as somebody putting in the effort, staying late and making big money.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! It's no secret why we keep winning "best company to work for" awards

Becoming your own dreammaker

Benelux Contracts Director & JP Gray Head (Current Employee)
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at SThree full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI had no degree and was given the chance to start at this company at 18 years old.
I owe everything to Sthree. It has given me a life I could only dream of.

ConsYou have to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever give up. Opportunity is for everyone, and that is why Sthree is so special.

Great opportunities and atmosphere!

I have been working at SThree full-time

Pros- clear career path
- international environment
- great work environment
- accessible management

Conscant see any really, it's a fast pace environment but it makes it more interesting and exciting

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on listening to your employee's and implement taylor made solutions, benefits...

It was a great learning experience with a group of dedicated people

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)
Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at SThree full-time for less than a year

ProsThey really put a lot of effort into their training program and they offer a place where you seriously can learn on the job, fail forward and encourage you to be the best that you can be by walking the talk themselves.

ConsWith such a strong focus on KPI's it was sometimes quantity over quality, but then again there is Safety In Numbers And The Law Of Averages or SINALOA. Because you never will know everything there is to know because often the clients and the candidates themselves don't even know what they don't know.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the change in the way people behave online/offline there can be real opportunities for companies that master the online/offline space and I would like to see them because the thought leader that they really could be and not just know for their cowboy aggressive mentality. They are the best but they can be so much more

A truly meritocratic organisation with incredible career opportunities, but be willing to work hard for it!

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SThree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPhenomenal training, support and infrastructure, great career opportunities, work hard/play hard attitude and some great incentives. Definitely a meriotocracy and if you're willing to learn, look at the long term opportunity not just the short term and have a positive attitude you'll do well. Also the fact that the majority of Senior level have worked from the bottom up shows how strong the opportunity is and they've walked in everyones shoes so know how to help.

ConsThis industry is tough and not for the feint hearted. Shorter term you won't earn as much as some companies will tell you but longer term you absolutely can and you have to be willing to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. You have to be resilient though.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare consistent messages on where the business is going & what the goals are regularly - that way the working population have greater clarity on what the business as a whole has planned and understand how they can contribute

Great training, career opportunities and people

Trainee Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at SThree full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic training delivered in multiple formats - not just in the initial training phase - but throughout your career from what i could see.
Really growing in the US and they promote from within so lots of opportunities to grow your career.
Base + uncapped commission so you can drive your own earning potential.
Great bunch of people to work with - really fun.

ConsVery sales driven culture - great if you like / want this, but just wasn't for me.

Worked for SThree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SThree reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SThree CEO Gary Elden. All 22 reviews are posted anonymously by SThree employees.