SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility(in 22 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic(in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management(in 8 reviews)

Okay

Agent (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsGuaranteed 40 hours a week.

ConsNot enough pay for work required.

Positive

Director (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsFlexible work environment
    Laid back culture

ConsSiloed organization with difficulties working across the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the walls between organizations/functional areas

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Inbound Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Gold Coast (Australia)

ProsYoung, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

ConsManagement are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Real People at all levels

Data Analytics Specialist (Current Employee) Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

ProsStable, open and fair processes, clear and documented expectations on business objectives and individual performance, tools for greater accountability steadily put in place.

ConsSenior leaders are very territorial, mentor-mentee relationships sometimes come across as nepotistic. Recent cuts in support group numbers have led to disastrous drop in turn around times for support requests. Where are we going? No one can answer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to develop your people. The pipeline is running low.

My experience with sykes has been wonderful, I learned so much from this place.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC (US)

ProsThe good thing about sykes is the fact that they are always training of they ensure that we have extensive training in every thing that our job entails. I also like the fact when allow us to voice our opinion about things that we like or do not like

ConsThe most important con working at Sykes would have to be the pay.they do not pay us enough

Advice to Senior Managementno thank you.

Downward Spiral

ProsWork-life balance is ok. Most colleagues from my department are ok.

ConsVery very limited training, zero financial growth, nepotism.
    The global/corporate leadership, as well as the local leadership in the Philippines lack vision and foresight. Since 2010, it seemed that the company mantra is to remove very talented individuals for the sake if either nepotism or meeting the gross profit margins.
    The management, almost everyone with power, can't handle change. The arrogance is overwhelming. I'm starting to think that everyone was issued nostalgia glasses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate: stop bickering. Do something about nepotism in your ranks.
    Sykes Asia: target growth in every direction. Be more aggressive in expanding the business AND ensuring employee satisfaction. Also, do something about nepotism. It has become an epidemic. It can be found both in and out of your call center operations.

absolutely hell

Customer Service (Current Employee) Sydney, NS (Canada)

Prosthe other people , who are your co-workers, are going through the same things

Consalways on your back about something, extremely micromanaged, they tell you anything good.. about what you are doing.. just yelling up and down the halls like a madwoman

Advice to Senior Managementget some that are qualified, more than 40 % of the agents out on stress leave.. what does that tell you

The opposite of the dream they sell you in the training class.

ProsFull time and part time opportunities but it contradicts with the cons of being at this job. Get hired at your own risk.

ConsDo not consider this a permanent job. It is not what they make it seem. Lies about easy advancement. They teach you the job but it's still wrong... I can go all day but it's not worth it..

Advice to Senior ManagementNo thank you.

Unprofessional Management.

Technical Support (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsYoung, dynamic, and fun colleagues in the team, no overtime

ConsIt is an multinational company but the management style here is like that of the local family business. People are promoted not based on their skills or competencies but based on network and how much you are willing to take more work/responsibility without any raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional, use some common sense when it comes to decision making and giving direction.

Hectic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

Prosvery performance oriented. Lots of employee engagement activities.

Consnot a lot of local support or opportunities for growth unless you wanted to transfer to other sites.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!