SYKES Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity to get real customer service experience

Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager  in  Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to chase them. Performance focused environment that really strives to provide the best opportunity for the agents to excel and develop.

Cons

Difficult to get time for personal problems. Sketchy tracking of metrics that are used to evaluate agent performance.

Great place to work!!

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive environment! Continued mentoring and support throughout my career with Sykes. I really enjoyed my colleagues while working with Sykes. Sykes is a very large BPO...but it never felt too large, if you know what I mean. Chuck Sykes instills the sense of camaraderie...even though Sykes employees are 60K+ strong!

Cons

Don't really have any to share.

It's a great company so far..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had just moved to the Lakeland area when I got the job at Sykes about a week later. The training was organized and very knowledgable. The managers are nice and very helpful. Also, the front desk employee is very upbeat and sweet which keeps everyone in a positive attitude. I have been able to make friends in the area and also network and leave great impressions for future roles and possibilities.

Cons

The only bad thing I have to say about the company, well location is that we only had 2 weeks of training instead of the regular 7 weeks that they give Customer Service Agents coming in. It kind of rushed us out on the floor, but all in all we learned what we needed through the training and trial and error.

A chance for career growth would be nice as well as a mentor program for those who potentially want to grow within the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No support when externally placed

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Maarssen (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maarssen (Netherlands)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are hired easy, you have to work very hard and no support, deal with the organisation you are working at

Cons

They have no other clients than Fujitsu, so when you are ended there, the contract will be ended too

Find more clients and help your employees for a better work life balance

Underpaid and not worthy

Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support Engineer  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Experience and improve in negotiation skills
    - only conversation skill improve

Cons

- there is less opportunity to be promoted if your mother tongue is Chinese or English.
    - not much no reward for good performance, does not worth with it
    - underpaid

Improve management and promotion to employee

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Allentown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly easy work. Nice working conditions. Building is in good shape as is the call floor. Other employees and managers are very nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Pay rate is low for the work we do.

Pay rate is way below other companies in the area.

educational

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sumter, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company take their time and train their employees

Cons

remaining your tone when dealing with a difficult customer.

Do not care about their employees

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friends made. Flexible hours.

Cons

Take, take, take and continue to ask for more work for less money. Upper management making high end dollars with little or no raises for those who are generating the business. Little chance for growth.

Make the call center environment more inviting and appealing to work in. Bathrooms were gross and disgusting and the building was not very attractive. And old mall / warehouse feel. Would you personally work in these settings? I bet the answer is no. So why do you expect your employees to be okay with it.

Forget about Sykes. There are plenty of better companies to work for in Budapest.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Regular working schedule on normal hours.

Cons

- Very few possibilities to actually do your job in helping the customers due to the very restrictive company policy, which at the same time lacks transparency, leading to employees being able to provide nothing more than lip-service to the clients.
    - Lack of true leadership who dare to defend those workers who are in a vulnerable position, in case of an uneven conflict, harassment or bullying.
    - No chances for advancement.
    - Wages are a laugh in relation to the stress level one has to put up with (two people doing the job of five).
    - No recognition of and use for ones talents, nor any appreciation for the efforts one puts in, unless one belongs to the manager's board's favourites.
    - Favouritism.

- Built a service structure in which we actually can do our job helping the customers.
    -See the qualities and appreciate the efforts of EVERY employee EQUALLY, and not just of those you "like" for superficial reasons of status, appearance or "sociability".
    -Pay the employees at the lowest stratum of the hierarchy more wage, when they need to do almost double work due to teams being understaffed.
    -Take action when employees get bullied or harrassed by their direct superiors.

If you have no life

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

The benifits are a great price

Cons

They do not ask and do not care about your schedule. Ex. Childcare or continuing your education

You are only allowed 4 days off every six months and if you want more days it is up to multiple people and if you meet their goals to get days off.

They want you to provide great customer care, but wheb your issues need resolved they tell you to call a number no one answers.

Ask people their availability before hiring.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!