SYKES Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great compensation, poor operations management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Makati City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Makati City (Philippines)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the few BPO's to give a health card even on the first day of training. High signing bonus. Hazard pay is very high depending on your proximity from the office. Very quick promotion.

Cons

Too much politics. Promotion may be very quick, but the higher ops would stall as much as they can. You may be a trainer for a few months, but your base pay and contract would remain as an agent for quite some time.

Not good

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay
    Hours
    Some people
    Reward programs for top agents
    N-a

Cons

Poor training
    Bad team leaders
    Revolving door
    No allowance to change shift
    Not concerned about personal factors

Call Center for multiple contracts.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - CLS in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - CLS in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy interview questions. "When have you failed? When have you gone out of your way for a customer or client? Name a time where you performed your job duties under stress or pressure and how you overcame that pressure, etc.

Paid training full-time Monday through Friday from October to December with holidays off.

Benefits were above average for employees at the facility in Milton Freewater, OR where I worked.

Many opportunities across many contracts such as retail, loan servicing, phone-based banking, internal management, support or training positions.

Schedule flexibility and accommodations. Once I was working on the call center floor I requested a weekly schedule of 4 10 hour days as I had a long commute from home to work. They were quick to accommodate.

Cons

Median to minimum wages compared to the employees of the businesses who contracted us, given the same job duties. Training seemed more intended to build a fraternal atmosphere among new employees than to actually prepare these employees for their job duties--at least for the first month. When employees completed classroom training and reached the call center floor for shadowing and on-the-job training it became apparent that many were not prepared for the actual roles they were hired to perform.

Team Supervisors are usually uninterested in providing additional training or support for their employees on the phones. They prefer that once a mistake has been made that you hear about it during a weekly one-on-one with the Team Supervisor. This way they can give a limited number of coachings and quickly terminate and replace the squeakier wheels for newly trained employees.

All non-phone representative positions seem to be available on an internal basis. Multiple degrees in IT and some practical experience still required for one to spend time making a name for themselves in phone support. Many people will not want to stay in phone support long enough to be selected for internal promotions or transfers.

Look at the talents or experiences an application brings to the table and determine if their talents are to be wasted in unchallenging entry level positions or if they may be more valuable elsewhere in the organization as is.

Don't change a thing about the benefits offered--they are very competitive and some of the best available in surrounding communities.

Consider more competitive training at the beginning to weed out the less motivated and less competitive employees as they likely always drop out and quit their jobs after paid training ends and real work begins.

Good.

Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning banking regulations and the ability to learn about the products they sell..

Cons

Having to work night shift 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm.

None other than needs more floor support.

The most fun I ever had while working.

Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is an effort to reward employees in small ways.

Cons

The work can be very difficult.

More with Less is not always possible.

Not terrible, but that's not saying much

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Eugene, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Eugene, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The paid training is nice, though I believe they have shortened it to only 5 weeks at this point. Although they aren't the best, there are benefits offered. The work is full time with plenty of options for overtime. Scheduling is relatively consistent. If you are lucky enough to get with the right managers, they will take the time to help you build upon areas of weakness.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant here. Don't expect to be treated nearly as well as someone who has "been there since the beginning" even if you work twice as hard. Certain managers were promoted almost straight out of training just because they happened to be there at the beginning when they needed "leadership." As a result, there are some seriously incompetent managers pretty much benefiting off of the hard work of their team members. Unless you make consistent top level sales, it is likely that you will be either ignored, or "coached" incessantly. The client gauges success using satisfaction surveys which are easily skewed by customers who are unhappy for reasons beyond your control. This means you are given the option to either "fail" in the satisfaction category (and receive additional coaching as a result) or as another stated, engage in self preservation activities which are at the least extremely unethical.

No matter what you do, it will not be good enough in some way. Suggestions for improvement are given by people who have barely (if ever) had relevant experience and are extremely scripted and often times not applicable to one off situations. Mid level support does they best they can, but there are not enough support reps to go around, meaning that it is likely that you will sit on the phone for up to 10 minutes trying your hardest not to curse at your computer while your customer grows increasingly impatient just waiting for someone to come by and answer your question or provide approval for an action. Systems constantly go down, policies are always changing, and to top it off, your client is rather unpopular right now. Prepare to be yelled and cursed at at least twice a day on a good day.

Essentially, you'll be making 10 bucks an hour to take verbal abuse from strangers; be tasked to fix their issues with faulty systems, little support, and if you do not make everything better (without forking over free money, which is what many want), it is all your fault. If you do not make awesome sales numbers, you are not trying. Hard work and caring is not rewarded here. Take a job here if you must (it's a guaranteed gig) but keep putting in apps elsewhere. Honestly, Walmart is looking more attractive at this point.

If you want "better results" from your employes, take the time to develop their skills. Stop playing favorites, and for heaven's sake, stop ignoring flags in favor of hanging out with your buddies.

Disclosed Malvern AR

Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most the people are like family. Pay isn't horrible for the area. Always clean.
    Great incentive program for money
    Involved in community
    There were more before last 8 months but these have changed.

Cons

Tons of payroll issues. Working there many years I have had over 10 payroll issues and few that were never corrected no matter how long I tried or who I talked too.
    They promote to many unexperienced manager from Team leads even to most recent promoted account managers they ignore so many simple problems from dress code to bad conversations from both agents and team managers. The new director promotes from phone contacts instead of talent for all promotions. There is alot of criticism with little recognition. Most the good managers have left due to the recent changes. Many of former employee's feel the same with this place. The HR staff cannot seem to help people with problems but instead gossip about them. They tell you to pre plan needed time off over 3 weeks then say this or that on why it won't happen. I like many others have left the company due to the incompetence of the management staff running this place straight into the ground. Listen to your employees they have many complaints however your "leaders" do not listen. Although many have heard about Blooms 3 million dollar embezzlement he was a leader and helped others not treat then like they don't matter or take part in conversations distracting in others. I would have stayed with this company for life however they have changes that must be made and it starts at the top. I could go on about many things with the "support" however it wouldn't matter. Sykes malvern has become the new Accent hot springs. To all thinking of joining exploring other options never hurts In my opinion. P. S NOT WILLING TO RECOMEND

Train your management at all levels or hire others. If you don't do either you will continue losing quality employees and to the new director don't promote new TM and AM that can't do the job at most all my peers will tell u they miss work because they hate their boss and criticism from you and Tm. All your talented management has left since July.

I like the actual job, but not the working environment

Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was great and the trainer (who has since been 'let go') was knowledgeable, good at his job, and funny. I enjoyed working with the customers and the products.

Cons

The systems went down frequently and I never felt like we had the support from floor support and team leaders. We were told sales were not a priority but once on the floor, sales was the primary (and seemed only) priority - too much pressure.

Be honest about the sales aspect of the position; floor support should make sure the agent feels comfortable that a resolution was found before moving on; get better tech support to make sure the systems don't continually go down.

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales (Australia)
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales (Australia)

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

Sykes

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

The pay is biweekly which is great. They have opportunities for promotions. After six months of working there, you get a raise

Cons

You will have no kind of social life, or life period, outside of this job. The hours are horrible. Too many unnecessary rules.