SYKES

Updated 19 August 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

msr

Pros

8 wks course so it gives you time to learn the software used and they test once a week to make sure you are learning the material.

Cons

The benefits are not as affordable as expected especially when the pay is pretty low already.

At Sykes I was a Customer Care Agent for AT&T

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Eugene, OR (US)

Pros

I loved assisting the customers and I loved my co-workers

Cons

I didn't like it that the customer care agent were trained for 7 weeks, but the corporate store and retail clerks were trained only 2 weeks. 75% of our calls were dealing with how the corporate/stores had messed up customer accounts.

Train care agents and clerks the same way

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Former Employee - Deposits  in  Wise, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Deposits in Wise, VA (US)

Pros

The people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

Cons

Insurance was not that good.

More advancements would be good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I can ever obtain to establish a relationship developing a plan of action

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sumter, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC (US)

Pros

Gaining commitment with the customer leading to a suspension of my own values to isolate critical issues and represent business

Cons

I'm not a supervisor LOL

Give certificates or awards to the best employers

Great people

Pros

Great people, learned a lot of skills working with client.

Cons

Can be high intensity, but in the end it's worth it.

n/a

I feel very satisfied, rewarded, and even further educated due to my time spent working at Sykes.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hays, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hays, KS (US)

Pros

The co-workers were always fun and helpful and it is always nice to have a computer always at/on hand when answering a call, helpful, in depth, and appropriate training, as well as a great database of information to draw from when on a call regarding nearly any problem a caller may have.

Cons

Poor hours, few directing supervisors, boring and empty working environment, which can cause a problem if you cannot find the information you are looking for relative to the caller's problem directly in the Sykes database and would like to speak to someone directly about it, (as getting support yourself by phone from a supervisor on one line while giving it to a caller on another line can get confusing really quick.)

Find ways to keep employees busy, give things to do on long waits (2 hours+) between calls, & find more efficient/less tedious ways to log them.

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fort Smith, AR (US)

Pros

It pays more than average for the area, and is a simple job

Cons

The management makes everything unnecessarily stressful and difficult. The building is absolutely disgusting, and they continuously run off the cleaning staff. Roaches, mold, fleas, etc. They refuse to work with you on the scheduling unless your stats are flawless. 100% everything. So, if they assign a shift you can't work, guess what? You're getting fired because they won't help you get to a shift you can work. On top of that, the 'benefits' all count against you, and HR continuously misrepresents how things work.

Stop hiring management for filler, as it makes for bad management and poor scores.

Avoid if possible

Pros

It's a desk job. The dress code is pretty casual. There really aren't many pros.

Cons

The training is long and tedious, but as soon as you go into nesting you realize how much you did not learn. My entire class was completely unprepared as we took our first calls. For instance, we were told the most common call would be to make a payment, yet we were never trained on how to process a payment. We were told over and over that we would have a ton of floor support and we did not.

The training was all over the place and very unorganized. One person would tell us one thing, only to have someone else tell us completely different. There was a ton of down time where we talked amongst ourselves.

With 5-6 weeks of training, there's no reason why Sykes can't prepare employees better. My class had 6 people quit by the time we went into nesting.

We were also told that if we stepped away from our phone to use the bathroom, that we had to deduct that time from our 15 minute break. I was told, "we don't pay you to use the bathroom." I'll be speaking with someone about that policy.

The problem with this company is simple: they don't pay their employees enough. Their "management" is comprised of poorly paid, poorly educated, power-hungry employees. The managers don't make much more than their subordinates (who make $9/hr), and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Except for the employees on the phone. We were expected to not only assist the customers with their needs but also try to sell them Uverse products as well. We were told to make an offer on every call- no exceptions. Seems like a lot to ask for $9/hr.

I'd rather wait tables than work here again.

1. Pay your management more.
    2. Hire qualified management with previous experience. The managers there had no business in that role.
    3. Completely reform your new hire training.

Difficult to work for

Current Employee - CCP
    Current Employee - CCP

Pros

Overtime for the company is a plus

Cons

Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management. There is always an issue with their systems and you never get paid for your full time

Extreme Nepotism (It's a 'who you know' environment)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

Pros

If you associate yourself with the right people in management, and they like you, you will be able to move up in the company rapidly.

Due to ObamaCare, a new company was hired to handle benefits at the beginning of the year (2014). The benefits are at the minimum limits of ObamaCare, but, it is Far better than what the benefits had previously been.

Cons

There have not been any Standard of Living pay raises for agents, as well as management (other than the upgrade from CSR to manager) since the inception of several of the clients that Sykes employ's for.

If you don't associate yourself with a member of management, and prove yourself to them within the first few weeks of taking calls, expect to be an agent until you find employment elsewhere. This is in reference to the nepotism in the title.

Please take seriously any communication that agents give you.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!